Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 21:47

Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 21:47
3.5 Tonnes!!! Sheesh what a monster. I'm presuming that your van is suitably shod with good quality heavy duty tyres (that aren't too old). The Tanami is a well maintained and yet well used outback road. It suffers from heavy traffic use but in many areas, but often has more maintenance than a lot of outback roads. You can expect the whole route to be fairly stony, punctuated by sand and of course there will be corrugations. Appropriate tyre pressures, taking your time and driving to the condition will see you through (and I'm presuming you are driving an F350 or RAM 3500 equivalent to be towing that sucker).

This question is quite popular so please use the "Search Exploroz" function (top right od the forum page) with the words Tanami and Caravan in it and you'll find more than thirty recent posts on the subject (and equally as many blogs).

Cheers and safe travels

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 531374

Follow Up By: Ted H2 - Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 22:17

Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 22:17
Thanks for the replays will be towing with a 2500 Dodge ram, and I'm not one any real time line. Have new rubber on wheels any suggestion on tyre pressure.
Cheers
Lucky
FollowupID: 814373

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 22:54

Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 22:54
Standard wisdom is 10-15% less than you run on bitumen. Personally I tend to drop a bit more, particularly if heavily corrugated or sandy.

On bitumen I'm running the Toyo's at 40psi. On a dirt road like the Giles-Mulga Park or the Tanami, I'm running at 30-32 on the rears and and 26 on the steers dependent on load. If towing I'll stick a little higher on the rears due to the towbar weight.

Badly corrugated track like the Anne Beadell, Canning or Gunbarrel, I'll be lower again remembering that heat is the trade off. I've also got my shocks tuned down so there is bugger all damper.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 814376

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 21:55

Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 21:55
Anything can be wrecked on the Tanami Road if you don't treat it properly.
The Phoenix is a good tough van and will be fine if it is in good nick and you drive at speeds appropriate to the varying conditions.
If you are travelling to deadlines, it will bite.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 531375

Follow Up By: Member Boroma 604 - Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 08:31

Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 08:31
Gooday,
Did it 3 years ago was really badly corrugated, you just need to drive according to conditions, some of the time I was down to 25Km per hour where the corrugations from road Trains were about 2 ft across and 6 inches deep, Was towing a 3 ton Caravan with Jeep Commander Diesel and did not have any trouble.
Cheers,
Boroma604
FollowupID: 814382

Sponsored Links