Fridge newbie

Submitted: Friday, May 02, 2014 at 10:48
ThreadID: 107575 Views:2307 Replies:4 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

I have always used 3 eskys when travelling on fishing trips: 1 food, 1 bait, 1 catch.
I have now purchased a 60L fridge with the intent of using it to replace the food esky, however I have a few questions.

- Would it be OK to store my caught (and cleaned) fish in the fridge as well? Or do you think it is not worth risking the odour? Might also be difficult with the tall-ish shape of my fridge.
- Same with bait, would it be OK to store bait in a container and put it in the fridge, or is the risk of odour just not worth it?
- Say I want a cube of ice for my drinks… is it practical to store a few ice cubes in a container in the fridge or would they just melt quickly? I understand there are -10c temperature settings in these fridges, but do they really stay consitant enough to keep the ice cubes frozen?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 11:37

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 11:37
I took my new Techniice fridge on its maiden trip a couple of weeks ago, 12 dayer from Adelaide.
Performed brilliantly with the arkpak second battery.

I think you could have a second fridge as bait / catch combined perhaps, but feel smells would be a bugger in the main food / drinks esky, even with the good double seal large ziplock bags.

Re the ice.
I froze a couple of 600ml water bottles for about 1-1/2 days in a fridge in Birdsdville, and placed them both in my fridge, set to -2c . . . seems to be perfect for keeping drinks nice and cold, and not freeze, they start to ice up a bit if set at say -4c.

When we got back to Adelaide early evening a full 3 days later, the one I left in there all that time was still frozen solid, so yes, if you bag the ice in zip locks, I imagine cubed ice would be fine if placed with cold items into a cooled down fridge, so it's not struggling at the outset to keep low.
Keep the ice close to the plates, around the outside of the basket.

Mind you, I cleaned out and defrosted the Techniice in BV too, and although stuff came out of the cabin fridge all cold when I packed the Techni again, it seemed to stay at the -1 to -3 setting it sits on down there once reached (very quickly).

A techni fridge would be a fine extra fridge for you perhaps . . . the 45lt size I got is great, and good reviews everywhere on the forums about them . . . in fact nothing bad at all with searches in my research . . .
http://www.techniice.com/car-fridges-1.html

I got combo 2 and haven't tried the dry ice out as yet . . .
http://www.techniice.com/car-fridges-1/45l-car-fridge-2.html
AnswerID: 531641

Follow Up By: wil55n - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 11:49

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 11:49
Thanks, really appricate the practical advice. I have the EvaCool Travelmate fridge which is around the same price as the Techni fridges. They both seem to be cheap but reliable for the price. Will also be running an ArkPak so that was good to know.
FollowupID: 814675

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 12:01

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 12:01
No probs mate . . . re the ARkpak, I found the range of AGM batteries to be wide, and in the end, could have got a 130 amp hr off ebay for under $300.
Instead, got one from Battery World, just had better credentials and features, guaranteed no gassing (as it's in my dual cab with the fridge).
Ultimate Xtreme UL-100-VO.

I set up a dual HD ciggy fitting in the cab using a HD wire direct from the battery.
When touring for the day, I would plug both the Arkpak and fridge into these outlets.
They would charge all day, whether parked looking at sites etc, or with the ignition on.

End of day when pulled in to camp, I'd unplug both, leave the Arkpak unplugged, and plug the fridge into the Ark for the night.
In the morning before pulling out for the driving on, the Ark would register pretty constantly 80% capacity, so it could run the fridge no probs if camping for a day, or even 2 I expect.

After some 8 hours driving, the Ark would register 100% charge, but possibly this might have been so for a while, as I didn't check how long to full charge.

I used the 6 amp Arkpak charger ($99 retail).
Thinking I might run Anderson plug back there one day, but then you bypass the smart charger built into the Arkpak, one of the key features.
Otherwise, you might as well but a cheaper battery box.

Bunnings have the Arkpaks too, so get best price online and buy from there, they'll price match.
FollowupID: 814676

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 12:02

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 12:02
Sorry, meant to say got that battery from Battery World for $350, normally $375.
FollowupID: 814677

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 21:05

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 21:05
Les mate....there is no such thing as a battery that will not gas.

ALL batteries will release explosive gasses and acid mist if they are over charged or over heated.

There are plenty of people out there who will tell you otherwise...because as you have proven...it sells batteries.

cheers
FollowupID: 814754

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 08:56

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 08:56
I have read that before, and asked the bloke there about it.
No where at all for gases to escape, not even those tiny mig wire sized holes like on the 'maintenance free' batteries.

It has expansion chambers in there apparently, like a radiator overflow, it accepts gases when hot, and releases again when cool.
Well, that's his story.

I certainly keep a little airflow in the cabin most times driving, and the Ark is behind my seat, so in worst case airflow should be more than ample for daytime driving.
It is unplugged at night from the power so not charging, just the fridge plugged in.
FollowupID: 814785

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 11:55

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 11:55
Simply answered: Would your mother do it? If not then no.

Mothers are always right!

Phil
AnswerID: 531644

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 12:02

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 12:02
Sorry David. Couldn't resist that one.

Yes you can put them all in the same fridge. BUT Wrap them especially well or put them in good air tight containers.

Phil
FollowupID: 814678

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 12:19

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 12:19
Phil, but did you ask your mother about that ?? :D
FollowupID: 814681

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 12:48

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 12:48
I asked the "other mother" in this family. My wife!!!

Unfortunately my ,other and father passed away back in 1964. She isn't speaking to me of late.

Phil
FollowupID: 814684

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 13:25

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 13:25
Yeah, I thought she may have been in a better place Phil, but that's a long time ago, I was a mere 2yo then !
Suppose you can talk to her when you like, just let us know if you get a reply, and we'll keep an eye on you . . . still think of my parents often.

So your missus would be happy with fish / bait in the with the food and drinkies ?
Surprising, those smells are pretty hard to keep under wraps !!
Especially after a few days.

There are dual seal ziplock bags that are pretty good though, might be a way to do it.
FollowupID: 814687

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 15:14

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 15:14
We do it in the fridge at home also. Not worries. Had some bait in the 40L one when we got home from the Cape York trip. That would have been about three weeks. We repacked it in air tight zip lock bags. Quite thick ones also. No smells.

That's why I said "BUT Wrap them especially well or put them in good air tight containers."

Works for us mate.

Phil
FollowupID: 814709

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 16:29

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 16:29
Zip locks, yeah the really heavy ones are not the usual GLAD ones, and have twin ziplocks, so are very good for taking stuff in, and I use them then for packing out rubbish, with no leakage etc.
Get them at one of the big 2 supermarkets.
FollowupID: 814721

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 22:31

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 22:31
David what brand and type did you buy ? If it's just a fridge run it like a fridge with the ideal temp fluctuating around the 3 deg mark it might go up to 6 or 7 deg then drop back down that's ok. If you run a fridge at max you will just shorten your battery life because it's overworking. If it's has 2 compartments fridge/freezer the fridge again will be around 3 deg and the freezer may run around - 14 to -18 deg and may be capable of reaching - 22 or 23 deg but that may lower the fridge temps as well which will freeze some items depending on the brand and the temp controls. Some fridges don't absorb odours like my 10yr old fibreglass Evakool which still smells like new an I only wipe it out with warm water.
AnswerID: 531781

Follow Up By: wil55n - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 16:48

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 16:48
Batt, I bought an EvaKool Travelmate 60L. Pretty happy with it right now and their support is really good.
FollowupID: 815238

Reply By: wil55n - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 16:49

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 16:49
Well I think I found a solution to my ice cube conundrum... Glad Ice Cube Bags!
Sure, it adds to the cost, but they seem like they'll suit my needs of just a few cubes of ice.
AnswerID: 532054

Sponsored Links