AL KO Jockey wheels

Submitted: Friday, May 02, 2014 at 11:16
ThreadID: 107577 Views:2760 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

The handle on my ALKO Jockey wheel has broken off. I have bought an SCA handle at Supacheap to replace it. Unfortunately I cannot remove the housing from the jockey wheel. It has what looks like a pin in it which needs knocking out but it doesn't seem to want to come out. Is it removable??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 12:11

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 12:11
I've done the same repair to another make of jockey - the pin may be tapered, meaning that it will only knock out one way... if you clean and study the pin's ends, one may be slightly smaller that the other. It could also be a split tube pin, and can be tapped out either way. You need a thin punch (or similar metal rod) slightly smaller than the pin, plus a small hammer to do the hitting part.
AnswerID: 531645

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 18:34

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 18:34
A third posibility is that what you think is a pin may be a grub screw, with a hex recess.
If you have belted the stuffings out of it the head will be bured and you'll have to drill it out.

A forth posibility is that is was a set bolt....a grub screw with a hex head..a short bolt in other words....these often break off leaving nothing but a recessed stub.
in this case you will probably have to drill it out.

cheers
AnswerID: 531693

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 19:55

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 19:55
It has a long split pin made out of spring steel called a ROLL PIN.
You need a pin punch the correct size...a block of fairly hard wood to sit the busted bit of handle on (NOT the body of the wheel)..and a decent proper metal working hammer to give it a few good wacks. After a portion of the pin has been belted out it can be grabbed by a good pair of strong pliers and twisted the rest of the way out to clear the thread shank...easy peazy.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 814738

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 20:50

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 20:50
It was mentioned earlier that it may be a rolled pin.....yep, Ive seen em come that way.

I've belted my share of rolled pins....best to use a pin punch and keep belting till it comes all the way out the other side.

As for needing a metal working hammer.....I doubt that using a claw hammer would prevent sucess.

getting the item on a firm surface and giving a good hard whack is usually required.

Lots of people get a little timid when trying to remove pins.

still....might be a bolt or screw.

cheers
FollowupID: 814749

Follow Up By: William 1 - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 09:32

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 09:32
Thanks all. I got it out eventually using the hammer and punch method. Seeing as it was so difficult I thought I would ask the question, just to ensure I wasn't butchering something. Thanks.
FollowupID: 814789

Sponsored Links