Using a ac compressor for air

Submitted: Friday, May 02, 2014 at 15:38
ThreadID: 107583 Views:4445 Replies:10 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hey.

I want to install an air conditioning compressor to use as an air compressor. I want a piston (not a vale) style compressor which preferably has its own oil system. The York 210 ac compressor seems to be the most recommended. By the sounds of it these came on 70's and 80's Volvos, some Fords, some Jeeps and a few other cars. All the sites that I looked on though were American so I was wondering if anyone knew if they came on any of our Australian cars? Obviously the Volvos etc would be the same here but I'm hoping that they came on a more common car making it easier (and hopefully cheaper) to pick one up from the wreckers.
Also no doubt there would be other suitable ac compressors which I could use if anyone knows these?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 15:56

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 15:56
My Celica had an after market bosh under dash unit fitted, it had a york compressor so I would l look at vehicles with a bosch aircon, maybe Holden and Ford?

In an aircon system the oil is transported in the the gas flow, ie oil charge added
to refrigerant, but then my york unit from memory also had a plug to add oil to
the sump, bottom line is you will probably get a fair amount of oil in the airflow, maybe
someone who has done a conversion can add to this aspect?

I think all the early model cars would have used a piston type pump as the rotary
vane type from memory came out with the later model Japanese cars?

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 531677

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 15:58

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 15:58
Forgot to add, my 1997 KIA Sportage has a piston compressor but I imagine it wouldn't be a york unit:)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 814717

Follow Up By: abqaiq - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 17:05

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 17:05
I did the AC to Air Compressor thing on my 80 Toy here in Saudi back in 1996. I used a vane type as it would fit into the space the previous model [smaller bore engine] had the AC. Toyota had moved the AC compressor lower so the 10 mm mounting holes in the block for a DIY bracket were there. I tee'd the crankcase ventilation line to get some filtered and oily air to the compressor. That worked good for short runs filling tires. If I were doing it again I would put an in-line oiler [air tools type] in the inlet line. I had a 120 psi ASTM relief valve in the discharge and used a dry chemical fire extinguisher as an air reservoir strapped to the frame under the drivers seat. I modified a the water pump pulley to have 3 sheaves as one would be for the extra compressor. You will probably have to do something similar as I found there is no way to tighten the fan belt that drives the AC compressor enough to drive the Air Comp too. You need about 3/5 wrap on the pulleys to get enough grip to drive the Air Comp. I used a manual switch on the radiator bracket to turn the Air Comp on and off via the Compressor clutch. After The system got to 40 psig it will out run you airing up tires [even big no tread desert ones!] Sadly there is no way to put this concept on our Troopy. Time you get all that done, if it's possible, maybe better to look at 1/2 or 3/4 HP continuous duty 12V air.
Abqaiq
FollowupID: 814725

Reply By: KevL64 - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 16:58

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 16:58
I had a Chrysler CM Regal with York compressor.
They were a popular compressor back then but finding one in good nick may be tough. Plenty on eBay though.
AnswerID: 531683

Reply By: John and Regina M - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 18:04

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 18:04
With the price of decent 12v accessory compressors I would wonder what would be the point.
AnswerID: 531686

Reply By: Ken - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 18:19

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 18:19
Have a look for a company called Endless Air. They supply modified air conditioning compressors [lubrication via grease nipple] make mounting brackets for some vehicles and although not cheap they are streets ahead of any 12 volt powered compressor. Not sure what models they have these days but they used to have them or 4.2 Nissans, and some Landcruisers. With a stored pressure type fire extinguisher as an air reservoir you will be amazed how quick a 285 x 16 tyre can be inflated. You can even run an air wrench if you give the system a few moments to recover after each wheel nut.
The big problem on newer vehicles is they often have a single serpentine belt and it may be necessary to install an additional pulley to run the compressor. On Pradopoint there is a good post with pics showing it can be done to a 120 Prado.

Ken
AnswerID: 531689

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 19:57

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 19:57
Do the research and compare Endless Air with Air-on-Board. One has reconditioned compressors and weak mounts and one has new compressors and VERY strong mounts.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 814873

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 23:00

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 23:00
I have a York compressor that I removed from a XD Falcon,
so we know that's one model that used them..

On that basis, I'd assume that most (if not all) of the "X" series Fords that came with factory-fitted aircon, would have that type of compressor..

You might also check out any Chrysler Valiants from the same era that you happen across....

Also, I think I recall reading somewhere that the early Range Rovers used this type of compressor (they may still be using 'em for all I know)...

Then there's always ebay....

Happy Huntin'

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 531709

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 01:03

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 01:03
Try air on board - they have good gear

AOB
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 531712

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 10:00

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 10:00
There are so many cheap hi flow compressors on the market now i wonder if it worth all the effort. Its a great idea ,, search grungles he has a blow by blow description of the compressor and how to go about it! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 531722

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 10:03

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 10:03
Actually search for grungles endless air Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 814796

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:37

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:37
Michael,, your mate Grungle gives you the reason : ".....my older Blue Tongue and current ARB unit I have just took way too long when it came to inflating tyres or any job that involved compressed air."
FollowupID: 814915

Reply By: Rod W - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 10:28

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 10:28
You haven't stated what type of vehicle you want to fit it to?
AnswerID: 531726

Reply By: Zippo - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:50

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:50
Rather than a wrecker (where you'll get a compressor with unknown condition/history), you'd be better off talking to someone in the A/C industry who recons compressors. If you are in WA I can recommend one firm who do that - and has a store loaded with recons - and the guy in charge would be the first I'd contact for comment on the lubrication angle too.
AnswerID: 531816

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 14:03

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 14:03
Here's a fairly comprehensive list of which vehicles used which compressors >>

Highgate Automotive Air Conditioning Catalogue

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 531818

Sponsored Links