dynamic roof load of Hilux

Submitted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 04:04
ThreadID: 107606 Views:17080 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

A am planning to have a roof rack on a double cab Hilux and I am wondering what Toyotas specification for the maximum dynamical load on the cabins is.

Thanks for your help.

Andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 07:31

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 07:31
G'day Andy,
From memory when I had a roof rack on my Hilux the Max loading was specified by the manufacturer of the particular roof rack purchased.

If you are driving on lots of outback roads I would keep well below the Max specified as the corrugations will likely break something. My mate cracked the front pillars on his Troopy up in the Kimberley & he was under the Max weight limit on the roof rack.

Also bear in mind if you travel up in the High country & get on some side angles the extra weight up top will induce a roll over much easier. Trust me I know!

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 531786

Reply By: Jackolux - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 09:52

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 09:52
I think it depends on the mounting system , clamp on or track system
I have a Rhino Track mount on my HiLux , think they claim 100kg

I didn't have anywhere near 100kg up top and still managed to break several of the rivet's in the track on the Cape Leveque Road . a couple of ratchet straps got me back to Broome

Bought a Pop Riveter and fixed it in Broome then broke the rest of the std alloy rivets on the Gibb River Rd so replaced them with the steel rivets I got in Broome .
AnswerID: 531790

Reply By: Bludge - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 10:02

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 10:02
Toyota's claimed maximum is 75kg Toyota Hilux specifications that will include the weight of the racks.

On road this is acceptable,off road I would suggest that it is reduced to half that weight.

Why? Not just corrugations but also any dips, ruts or even slight ups and downs will make the load go light then come down with force, just like jumping up and down with a backpack on.
Simplistically put, anyone can place a 20kg weight on your foot, but drop that weight from even 1 inch on to your foot and something will break.
AnswerID: 531792

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 10:53

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 10:53
Andy...forget any notion of toyota ( or anybody else) publishing a "DYNAMIC loading" for any roof rack.

Like most things they will publish a loading and they will be on smooth improved surfaces.

They simply can not account for how rough the contry you will be traveling is.

Now I have a couple of hilixes.....its a very long time since hiluxes have had gutters that you can get a real grip on for a roof rack.

So you either have to fix with pissy little screws into the roof channels or use some sort of friction clamp with rubber feet and hooks on the door frame.

Frankly I have absolutly no confidence in either method.

Most after market roof racks are maxed out at 50Kg per bar...and that is smooth improved surfaces.

If it where me..and only if I realy had no other choice...the only things I would carry up there would be realy light items like a swag or some max traxs

If toyota intended people carrying stuff up there they would have fitted gutters.
Troopies sill have gutters, hiace vans still have gutters.

Look at a lot of the service bodies run by the contracting companies and government utilities...they mostly have the roof racks cantilevered off the, ute tray, canopy or service body.....they avoid the roof of utes these days.

OH and remember the cabin will move independent of the tray....so think twice about sharing loads between the cab mounted roof racks and racks on the tray or canopy.

cheers
AnswerID: 531796

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:57

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:57
Any items which aren't soft in nature will require a resilient pad of material under them, ie jerry can of fuel, wheel etc so the instantaneous forces generated under road corrugations aren't instantaneously transmitted to the carrying frame.
That is a method of shock absorbing. A relatively light load carried rigidly and tied down To THE MAX a creates a BIG heavy solid mass which Will break most roof racks.

Provide a little give in the system, a slow punch is easier to absorb than a quick one.
FollowupID: 814921

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:23

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:23
If you are to achive proper load restraint, you will not be able to put anything sufficiently soft into the situation that will reduce shock loadings or vibration transmitted worth a damn.

remember a 20 liter jerry can will weigh just under 20Kg if it is plastic and just over 20Kg if it is steel.

No matter which way you pack it, way too heavy for a light roof rack

Likewise a 4wd wheel.....there is no way I would try to carry a wheel on a light roof rack.

One reason to fit a soft packing is not to absorb vibration or shock but to allow firm load restraint and prevent vibration between the rack and the article from occuring and the article from moving.

cheers
FollowupID: 814926

Reply By: andy - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:18

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:18
Thank you very much for the information and your thoughts.

I had another look at the heavy duty roof racks of Rhino Rack (track and clamp system) and it seems that the roof load of the car is the limiting factor and not so much the 2 roof rack systems..

I did not realize how tiny the rivets are and that they are standard alloy.

@Jackolux was there any corrosion visible when you removed the alloy rivets and are your steel rivets still still in place?

My conclusion is that the maximum load to be carried should be well below 30 kg. This value is below the specifications on rough roads given by Rhino Rack for the track and clamp system.

I still have decide if it is worth while to get the tracksystem installed with steel rivets instead of the cheaper clamp system.

Has any one tell me about their experience with the Rhino Rack clamp system?

Cheers
Andy

AnswerID: 531833

Reply By: Jackolux - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:43

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:43
There was no sign of any corrosion , I have been thinking of dropping the roof lining and installing stainless bolts and big washers just haven't got around to it yet

I did ask the Rhino Man at a 4x4 show about the alloy rivets , he claims he has never heard of them breaking before , yeah right .

AnswerID: 531835

Reply By: gbc - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 07:47

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 07:47
My hilux had the genuine Toyota over centre latching racks (same as camry from memory). They were the dodgy looking ones on rubber feet.
I used them with an ally rack over the 6 years I had the ute and apart from some scuffing of the clear coat they did a surprisingly good job.
They did the cape and various other trips and had a good workout carrying timber etc in the mean time. I'd say 60 odd k.g. would have been somewhere near what we had in the rack, plus the rack and bars to be completely honest.
Best part about them is once they are set up and adjusted, taking them on and off is about a one minute job. My next two utes have both had rhino track systems and although they may seem a little sturdier they are a complete ball ache to use and remove if required. The wind noise from the heavy duty bars is horrendous on the new ranger, but I put up with it because removing the bars is even worse.
AnswerID: 531886

Sponsored Links