Backseat modifications

Submitted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:55
ThreadID: 107612 Views:2296 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,

On a recent trip I decided to remove the backseats in order to be able to fit more stuff in the car and not have to pack and unpack the roof all of the time especially if we were just staying one night somewhere. It worked really well and considering it's usually only my better half and I travelling together was thinking about doing something with this space properly. I've got an ORS drawer system in the back with cargo barrier/water tank etc so I was wondering if anyone else with a wagon has made any modifications to this space with more drawers etc? Would be great to get some ideas.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:59

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:59
Sorry just to clarify, my ORS system is in the very rear of the vehicle accessed by the barn doors. The space I am referring to for modification is the area where the back seats usually are situated accessed by the rear passenger doors.
AnswerID: 531812

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:37

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:37
With no rear seat I used two fridges in there and cooling flex hose for fridges and it was storage for many other things too.
It is a really good place to keep a box of goodies, peanuts, sweets and small packaged food so the mice which get in at Dalhousie can have a field day AND night and day and night until persuaded to leave. etc.

Take a mouse trap with you.
FollowupID: 814930

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:52

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:52
Cruiser,
Have a talk to Graham at ORS as I'm sure they do a shelf for that area
Cheers Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 814988

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:46

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:46
Mate

I had exactly the same issue with my previous Defender. I made up a section of floor at the same level as the top of the draws which infilled the section where the rear seat had been removed in front of the drawers. Worked so well I then build another level of shelf above the rear drawers at just the right height to accommodate our tucker boxes under. It was very easy to get gear in and out without it being stacked up in a big heap. Mind you the old fender was quite boxy inside so it made the job easier. I had the fridges located on the front shelf behind the seats so they were accessible from the rear side doors.
If you're a tad anal about legalities I believe you should have it re-plated to a 2 seater but we had it in that configuration for years without a problem. I only reinstalled the rear seats to sell the old girl and of course they were in pristine condition which was handy for the sale.
AnswerID: 531815

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:52

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:52
"If your a tad worried about the legalities", you might be concerned about the insurance.

It would give them a ready made excuse to refuse a payout.

I can fold my back seats forward, so that gives me an extra bit of room for storage.

It is handy for those items you want to access all the time and if your rear doors are blocked by the van, you can still get at stuff.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 814933

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 14:23

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 14:23
Brilliant thanks Rosco, sounds like a great set-up!

Buzz, I usually fold the seats forward but they still take up a hell of a lot of space when they're not being used. Not to mention the dead weight in the vehicle. You make a good point about insurance but if I was to re-plate it as a 2 seater (or in my case it would be 3 with the bench passenger seats in the cruiser) I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Having said that I will be sure to check with my insurance company before I make any changes and change insurers if necessary.

Cheers
FollowupID: 814934

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 15:32

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 15:32
Unfortunately I had a nasty habit of reversing into/over things, including a brand spankers Dunnydore in Weipa once, so made my share of claims. The missing seats were never an issue, but I take your point. The sleeze bags will worm out wherever they can, that's for sure.
FollowupID: 814941

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 16:04

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 16:04
Cruiser ,
I had my GQ wagon for 16yrs an the back seats out for all of that time ,
made up a false floor to fit the fridge on , boxes of food , compressor etc.
under it was recovery gear , jumper leads , bag for tent ropes an pegs .
easy access to fridge through L/R door , works well for 2 people .
mechpete .
AnswerID: 531826

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:29

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:29
Its pretty easy.

AnswerID: 531867

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:30

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:30
on the left side is a 65 litre water tank, at the same height as the rear drawers,
FollowupID: 814996

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 14:32

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 14:32
Mate that's brilliant, exactly what I am looking to do. Not sure about moving the cargo barrier to directly behind the front seats though but from a safety perspective I can see why you have. Guess I would just have to bear that in mind when I am packing up the back. Thanks for taking the time to upload those shots. Much appreciated.

Craig
FollowupID: 815158

Reply By: Member - Russler - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 12:53

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 12:53
Hi Cruiser74,

I too have removed the passenger seats in order to make extra room for those longer trips. This was done on a temporary basis only, but I'm pretty sure I've read that removing them permanently can present issues, eg. insurance and/or if pulled over by the police and things get a bit testy, because your car is registered or engineered for so many seats, but now has just two. Worth checking out the legislation across the various states too.

AnswerID: 531903

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:26

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:26
Russler
Interesting. I also understand that if it is done temporarily it is not a problem
Which begs the question, how will anybody on any day know you didn't take it out only a few weeks before, and that you aren't planning to put them back upon return to your home.
CJ
FollowupID: 815113

Follow Up By: Whirlwinder - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 10:56

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 10:56
Guys, my understanding is that as long as you only unbolt the seat and bolt in a shelf it is not illegal and does not have to be "engineered".
A car that is a 5 seater means a maximum of 5 people can be carried but if the seat is removed and a shelf bolted in and it can now carry only 2 people that is OK. No welding or redrilling is allowed without re-engineering it.
FollowupID: 815147

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 15:01

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 15:01
We remove the two rear seats and install a bed extension which we purchased from ORS with the drawers. There are rego issues. But you can get it approved very easily if left there permanently. We change the car a bit for different trips.

The vertical white bar is t=where I relocated the angled support. Gave us more room for a couple of 20 litre water bottles on the floor between the bed extension and front seats. Still heaps of roommunder the "shelf" for "heavy" stuff leaving the top0 for clothing, bedding and pillows. The stuff that wont hurt you if it hits you in the head. Thus no cargo barrier either.

Phil

AnswerID: 531971

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 19:27

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 19:27
Nice set up mate, I have got a 3 drawer set up in the rear. 1 under the fridge and 2 stacked next to it with a cargo barrier so the bed extension isn't an option for me but I like the idea of having space underneath as pictured. Cheers for the pics!
FollowupID: 815172

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 21:48

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 21:48
When there is only one on the trip they can sleep in the back.

That was the deciding "plus" that helped us choose the car. The distance from the inside of the tailgate to the rear of the passenger was longer than the patrol.

Phil
FollowupID: 815184

Sponsored Links