Magnetic Island and the people who know evereything that knocked me.

Submitted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:33
ThreadID: 107617 Views:2541 Replies:10 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I travel solo with a dog for company.To all the people that think im a free loader dont bother reading anymore.A site like exploroz is not for people that wish to stay at home or in a caravan park.I was stuck at Townsville with a power problem at the moment i dont know whether it is batteries.charger or generator but we will work through it.The caravan park i was staying at had a booklet or pamphlet on Magnetic Island.Seen as i cant get anything done on the weekend i decided to go across.The booklet said something like from luxury resorts,to back packers,to campers there is something for everybody.So Gunny and i went across only to find i can not stay anywhere with a dog.If i had of known that i would not off gone.Magnetic Island is a beautiful place. The ferry company told me i can take a dog but never told me i can not stay anywhere.I felt that was unfair.To the people that have commented that im a free loader your on the wrong site.To the people that have said i need to do more home work on where i travel ,i guess your correct.In saying that you would like to think that the locals will advise you.Now i will sit back and wait for all the people by there TV telling me what a fool i am.Bye Stuart and Gunny.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:46

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:46
Gday Stuart
My wife would say ' get over it' you put the same post on last Friday.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 531836

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 19:01

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 19:01
i am replying to the people that took the mickey out of me.
FollowupID: 814964

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 11:02

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 11:02
I hear you Stuart but I believe that it would have been better to reply on that same thread. Let us hear your side of it. That is what these forums are for. You are very welcome to say what you wish within the rules.

Personally I would ask the moderators to close this thread and then go back to the other one and have your say. Apparently we may have misunderstood the initial post. Maybe the heading was misleading.

Maybe you did but I haven't been back to see. I didn't get an email responding to my post and had an outing to go to.

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 815048

Reply By: Tony H15 - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:50

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:50
Don't know why anyone would call you freeloader??? As for your problem with Gunny, I believe the ferry operator should have given you all the info, not just half. Travel with a dog can be problematic, there are some towns totally devoid of dog friendly accommodation. I always ring the park first, unfortunately caravan park guides and locals are not always up to date. Good luck to you and Gunny on your travels.
AnswerID: 531838

Reply By: Tony H15 - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:51

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:51
How about that Stuart: you were right...
AnswerID: 531839

Reply By: Bigfish - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 18:05

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 18:05
Couple of things mate
1. People on this site do stay in caravan parks....just not all.
2. Yes....you are travelling with a dog. Common sense says do your homework about where and when you can stay/visit with a dog.
3. Why do you need us to tell you that you are a fool?

One good thing....you will learn to seek more info next time and save yourself from any dramas.
Good luck with your travels.

AnswerID: 531841

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 18:39

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 18:39
Mate magnetic island is a very strong day trip location......you may actually find that the majority of walk on pasengers to maggy are day trippers.......People go to maggy just as easily as they would go to any local beach in any other town......its so very close........why would people tell you things you did not ask.

Townsville has a very strong dog ownership....probably second to boats and not by much....it seems every second or third house has a dog....and they are out with the dogs in parks in numbers.

Go down the Strand any afternoon and you will see what I mean.......No problem taking your dog down the Strand....hundreds do every week...they run obedience and agility events in the parks there.....but don't expect to swim ya dogs on the strand.....its specifically forbidden...go to Palaranda for that.

Lots of people would take their dogs across the maggy for the day.....hardly an event worth commenting on ferry.

If you are traveling with a dog..surely you have learned by now that there are places where they are and are not aloowed and there are specific restrictions involved.

Its your responsibility to find out about those restrictions.

As far as calling you a free loader...I don't think anybody specifically did.

There however a hell of a lot of people free loading and taking liberties where they should not and doing things they know damn well they shouldn't.

For example
Staying places that they know they should not....or should know they should not.
Staying places longer than they should....or permanently
Filling bins with large volumes of rubbish that are plainly not intended as volume dump sites.
Emptying their chemical toilets in public toilets and other places they should not.
Expecting to use water dump sites that are not intended for the general public
Discharging grey water without concern
Taking water from sources not provided for the purpose.
Hanging their washing from trees in public parks.
and a string of other issues.

This is why so many councils are down so very hard on free camping...this sort of behaviour is definitely free loading...unfortunately the responsible free camper suffers.

So you made a mistake..suck it up and get on with life.

BTW..while you are up there..you can free camp up at Saunder's Beach for a couple of days...the fishing is pretty fair up there...and plenty of people run and swim their dogs there...might be worth checking the camping with dogs polocy...from memory you will be right.

If ya thunking about heading out charters way...there is a free camp on the banks of the burdican on the townsville side....ya wont find any firewood for a 30Km radius though.

If you have not seen the Burdican dam..that is worth a look...there is a caravan park there right at the wall....but no grocery or kiosk.....nearest is Ravenswood.

Check about the dog...

On the way in it is worh stopping at the Railway Hotel in Ravenswood for a lunch....HELL...you will get a great feed for under $20......There are two hotels in Ravenswood and they are realy competitive.....its sauce bottles at 20 paces between the Cheffs there...last time I heard the cheff at the Railway was winning.
They will allow you to camp out the back for a small fee there too.

cheers
AnswerID: 531844

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 18:59

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 18:59
Hi the Bantam.
Im currently staying at Bluewater park which is about 30klm out of Townsville.I will go down to Saunder's Beach and stay there.I am a little bit stuffed at the moment until they can work out my power problems.
FollowupID: 814963

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 22:32

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 22:32
Blue water is not far from Saunder's.....all in what they call the northern beaches....not too shabby either.

Just be carefull arround the creeks up there.....there are crocks.

Ya reasonably safe arround the mouth of the creek at saunders and out on the ocean side in daylight.......the visability is pretty good.....keep your eyes open though.

But there have been sightings and incidents back up in the creeks.

Plenty to see up there.

cheers

FollowupID: 815015

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 22:43

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 22:43
Thanks Bantam.
You have a great day and Gunny and I will watch out for the crocks.
Your correct this is a great place to stay.I dont wish to be here at the moment but if things stuff up it is not a bad place to be stuck.
FollowupID: 815016

Reply By: Slow one - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:14

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:14
Gunny,
This is what you wrote "Magnetic island what a dud.Thanks greenies." So who is the knocker. You blamed the ferry company, council and the greenies, none of them had anything to do with your problem.

Nuff said.
AnswerID: 531854

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:46

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:46
Slow one.
Your correct in your head line that is what i posted.In high n site i should have worded it differently. I did not check things out before i went over there, i went of the pamphlet.It was the business owners that i spoke to about there being no caravan park or place that you can stay with a dog that commented to me about the greens and council. Im from Victoria how the hell would i know what they do up there.My mistake,it wont happen again.If i read a Qld pamphlet i will google and check in future.
FollowupID: 814999

Follow Up By: Slow one - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 05:45

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 05:45
Stuart,
Have a good trip and sorry about your disappointment.

I was supposed to be on Maggy last night for a party, but things came up.
FollowupID: 815024

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:39

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:39
Don't worry about the soft campers Stuart, you go enjoy your times and camps with your best mate, mate.

We also travel with a pooch, and free camping rules more often than not.

I'd say you were independent enough more than the MDF caravan campers on here.

See you on the road and camps mate..
AnswerID: 531869

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:52

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:52
Thanks Andrew.
Hopefully we catch up some where for a beer and a chat.
Good luck
FollowupID: 815001

Reply By: evaredy - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 13:05

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 13:05
Just look at it as something learned mate, we are not all perfect, even though some might think they are. We all make mistakes, that's how we learn, plain and simple.

Just because you love to free camp, doesn't mean you are a "free loader" Why should you have to pay out if you are happy to rough it and don't need certain amenities.

Just get out there and enjoy it anyway you want :)
AnswerID: 531905

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 16:19

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 16:19
Your not telling the whole story.
Your post said greenies had stuffed the place because you couldn't do as you pleased
Straight away you blamed others for your lack of a pleasurable experience
Thats what drew most of the negative comments
AnswerID: 531918

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:16

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:16
Too true, and Stuart now you are coming back for more!
Just let it be mate, whats next? A third post to comment on the comments made here?
Have you ever thought that maybe there are some truths to some of the replies?
CJ
FollowupID: 815110

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 23:30

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 23:30
If you wish to travel with a Dog and don't know the rules of the places you wish to visit EG: National Parks etc, then you are either ignorant, arrogant, not a responsible pet owner or just plain stupid.

Based on your 2 thread titles, you have incited an argument and deserve both my answers.

Phil
AnswerID: 531948

Sponsored Links