Gibb River Rd vs Oodanatta Track

Submitted: Monday, May 05, 2014 at 20:57
ThreadID: 107634 Views:3218 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Recently went on Oodonatta track from William Creek to Marla- trak seemed in very good condition- didn't take our off road van but could have easily
How does this compare with GRR - anyone done both- trying to find out if I should take off road van or not on GRR
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:11

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:11
There was bleep e loads of them up there last year.
AnswerID: 531938

Reply By: i'machocoholic - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:16

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:16
The Gibb won't be your problem, but it will depend upon the tracks that lead off the GRR. Have you chosen where you'll be visiting to help answer your question?
AnswerID: 531941

Follow Up By: Rustynails59 - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:31

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:31
Plan to do most things but also have roof top tent
So for example, when we go to Migchel falls, we plan to leave van at Drysdale and use roof top tent
FollowupID: 815114

Follow Up By: Member - i'machocoholic - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:59

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:59
Your van looks similar to ours and whilst we have seen heaps of vans when on the GRR, if you ask me whether I would take mine, the answer is no. I'm happy to camp in the roof top tent for a few weeks and happy knowing I can go back to my van without wondering if any "bits" have come loose or dust issues. We've seen what happens to some vans and even vehicles on the road so like to minimise our risk.

Whatever you end up deciding, drive safely and we might see you there...with our roof top tent :-)
FollowupID: 815117

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:21

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:21
Of the major outback roads, it seems the Oodnadatta 'track' is deservedly regarded as one of the 'softies' (mainly due to a good maintenance program). Ninety percent of that road is quite smooth and the rest can be mildly stony. We took our van along the full length last year..... with reduced tyre pressures and modest speed, it was a snack. As for the Gibb (I haven't had my van there yet).... I think its fair to say that most years* the western half is mainly smooth, the middle region can have a few modest corrugations and the eastern half can have some quite stony sections. Once again, reduced pressures, modest speed and keeping an eye on your hardware should produce a happy run up there too. Many contributors here over the years rate the Gibb as a snack too, but only for sensible drivers !
*weather and other factors can of course upset expectations.
AnswerID: 531942

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 23:01

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 23:01
Agree with others - both these tracks are pretty straightforward if driven sensibly, and you see plenty of well set up vans on them.

Only issue that really arises is when you go off the main tracks to side destinations such as Dalhousie from Oodnadatta or the various fantastic falls and pools along the Gibb. But if you have your roof-top tent for a few side trips, no problem.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 531945

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 23:13

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 23:13
Even the run into Drysdale can depend on what time of the year and whether the grader has been up recently. After a lot of use since the last grade it can get very corrugated and "rough".

Depends on the timing really.
AnswerID: 531946

Follow Up By: - Johny boy (NSW) - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 07:41

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 07:41
Very true Scott, we had a good run from Derby to the turn off to Drysdale then it was very deep corrugations for about 60 KMS to Drysdale, I thought we were on a Moto X track at times LOL!
FollowupID: 815206

Reply By: Jackolux - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 23:28

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 23:28
We have driven the Oodnadatta Tk many times the first time was 1986 in a Sigma Sedan towing a Jayco Finch it was no problem then . Compared to the GRR the Oodnadatta Tk is a Major Highway .

Plenty tow Vans on the Gibb and if you take care you should be ok but I have seen plenty that have had problems on the Gibb
AnswerID: 531947

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 08:52

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 08:52
Hi Rustynails59,
We have had our van on both, and the side tracks, drive to the conditions and you won't have a problem.
Cheers.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 531958

Reply By: Member - BUSH CAMPER - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 16:13

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 16:13
We did both tracks 2 years ago, including Dalhousie, Mt Dare, Chambers pillar and the old Ghan railway with no trouble.
We then did the Gibb river road with many of the side tracks.
We towed an Elite Goulburn 17' off road van, this had control rider suspension.
We lowered the tyre pressure and drove to the conditions. We had no trouble.
A mate travelled the Oodnadatta track with us, he didn't lower his tyre pressure and travelled a bit slower than us and his fridge came adrift in his van. He said "what a terrible drive".. I lowered his tyre pressure and convinced him to drive a bit quicker than 30 kms and he was a lot happier with the ride.
Make sure that you lower the van tyres as well.
enjoy your trip, Hugh
AnswerID: 531977

Sponsored Links