Baffled 12v

Submitted: Friday, May 09, 2014 at 11:31
ThreadID: 107684 Views:1600 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
1986 Drifter - iv'r got 15amp power inlet, runs the fridge and light inside + a spare power board from all that - next to the board at the back of the fridge is a 12v 3pin socket I assume is for the fridge (battery) and another cable that runs up to roof and into the light where there is a 12v socket and bulb..... BUT I can't find where these cables go at the other end theres no anderson connection or visible points to plug a battery into ...arrrgghhh help please if you know
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: disco driver - Friday, May 09, 2014 at 15:03

Friday, May 09, 2014 at 15:03
My best guess is that the missing wires terminate at the trailer plug on the trailer.
You probably will need to run a fused line from the 12V power supply (battery) in the vehicle to the No 2 terminal on the trailer plug on your vehicle. I fitted an illuminated switch on this supply wire and fitted in the cab so that I could switch the power off when parked.
Be very aware that if you don't switch off the power to the van when parked you will finish up with a flat battery, 3way fridges are notoriously big power users.

You will have to dis assemble the plugs to verify if this wiring exists, but it was the most usual way of wiring up car/caravan/campertrailer back when they were new.

It probably would be a good idea to replace both plugs to ensure that everything is as good as possible, and an even better one to take the power for fridge and internal lighting through a 50amp Anderson Plug rather than the trailer plugs.

If you are still confused I would suggest that you take both the camper and the towing vehicle to an auto sparky and get it all checked out.

Disco.
AnswerID: 532160

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, May 09, 2014 at 15:20

Friday, May 09, 2014 at 15:20
This assumes you have a three way (absorption) fridge in your camper. If you are running a compressor fridge then read no further.

Quote "Be very aware that if you don't switch off the power to the van when parked you will finish up with a flat battery, 3way fridges are notoriously big power users."

Paul, a word of warning. Do not operate your fridge of a 12 V battery for more than a few minutes (ie just long enough to turn them off after stopping the motor.) A three way fridge will draw at least 12 A from a 12 V battery. That will flatten a battery in short order. If it's your tugs starter battery then 30 minutes is sometimes enough to ensure you can't start your motor if the tug is a sedan or 60 minutes for a 4WD.

I run my fridge through pin 9 on a 12 pin trailer connector. the heavy wire is controlled by an ignition switched relay. That way I am assured that the fridge will not run off the battery without the motor running. The house lights run through pin 8. If you are having any work done on the campers wiring I can recommend that you go that way.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 815358

Follow Up By: paul p11 - Friday, May 09, 2014 at 15:23

Friday, May 09, 2014 at 15:23
thanks Disco - you the man - have changed the plug going to car already as the other was old and shonky... getting tested tonight with a friend who has lots more knowledge than I do about electrical stuff. thanks again
FollowupID: 815359

Follow Up By: disco driver - Friday, May 09, 2014 at 17:11

Friday, May 09, 2014 at 17:11
Nomadic Navara,
I am sure that that Paul's fridge is a way.
How do I know, I read post 107674.
Cheers

Disco.
FollowupID: 815369

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, May 09, 2014 at 15:18

Friday, May 09, 2014 at 15:18
Paul,

Sounds a bit dodgy - "at the back of the fridge is a 12v 3pin socket". I'm not aware of any legitimate 12V 3pin sockets, and can't see any reason why one should exist.

If that's a 3pin socket and looks like a 240V power point outlet, I wouldn't trust it to be 12V. Suggest take it to someone who is competent to check it out for you and tell you just what is going where. It's very bad practice to use 240V fittings for low voltage because of the possible confusion and assumptions that "its only 12V".

Cheers

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 532164

Follow Up By: paul p11 - Friday, May 09, 2014 at 15:25

Friday, May 09, 2014 at 15:25
thanks John... sorry should have said they are two separate things a normal socket (240) and a 12v I am getting it all tested tonight and checked to see where things are going to, thanks for all the help
FollowupID: 815361

Sponsored Links