Duracell Car batteries

Submitted: Friday, May 09, 2014 at 13:58
ThreadID: 107690 Views:1964 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Forumites,
I am hunting for two replacement batteries for my 4wd. One cranking and one deep cycle. Went to my usual battery place, and part of the shelves are stocked with Duracell batteries. They have all the right credentials, (100+ AH for DC and ample CCA choices compares well with Trojan and the like)
I did a search here - nothing.
Does anyone have either experience or knowledge of Duracell automotive batteries?
Are they fairdinkum or just a pretty sticker?
Cheers, CJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CSeaJay - Friday, May 09, 2014 at 16:32

Friday, May 09, 2014 at 16:32
Spoke to another retailer
Turns out they are probably rebranded Lion batteries
CJ
AnswerID: 532171

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, May 09, 2014 at 18:24

Friday, May 09, 2014 at 18:24
the WWW looks like thats not true
Lion batteries are just distributers of many brands including duracell
thats not to say their specifically duracell though - these days who would know what comes from where and if that even matters.

some of the crappest products ive bought have been marketed as getting made in well known brands factories
FollowupID: 815377

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 11:01

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 11:01
getoutmore,
Appears correct - see also the post by slowone down the thread
Thanks! CJ
FollowupID: 815413

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 00:33

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 00:33
So many things are getting cross branded these days.

Nappy san, and preen are being cross branded with the "vanish" brand...the parent company owns all those brands.

P.R.Malory owned the name Duracel......Malory made many things, including a variety of battery types, but in this country we saw very little but their "duracel" alkaline batteries, their sonalert beepers and a limited range of "Malory" ignition coils for Us derived vehiles.
Some timeago the Malory company was renamed "duracel".....Procter and Gamble the owners of Gellette, now own Duracell

I would not be impressed with a company slapping and drycell battery name on a lead acid battery that has no technical connection......it is synical marketing and nothing more.....probably technically correct as that is now the company bame.

Lots of people try to say their batteries compare with "Trojan".....in a wet cell deep cycle battery you have to go a long way to find another battery that comes close to a Trojan.

In the golf buggy market....a big user of wet cell deep cycle batteries.....there is no doubt that Trojan is by far best.

There are all sorts of figures that can be slashed about concerning batteries......those figures are no indication of quality or value for money.

You need to look at a battery maker that has a reputation for making the type of battery you are interested in...not a borrowed reputation form a brand that has nothing to do with the battery type is has been slapped on.

cheers
AnswerID: 532198

Reply By: Slow one - Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 05:49

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 05:49
CJ,
here is a bit more info on the manufacturer.

LINK
AnswerID: 532201

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 09:21

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 09:21
nice find, i was expecting them to be branded no names from china
FollowupID: 815403

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 10:59

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 10:59
Thanks! Looks like it is linked to Deka as well.
CJ
FollowupID: 815412

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 12:21

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 12:21
Its sad when a company like Deka feel the need to borrow reputation from a company that makes razor blades to sell its batteries.

ANYway..seems that they are a Deka battery.....how the models line up with the actual Deka products might be worth looking at.

chers
FollowupID: 815421

Reply By: Mick T3 - Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 12:13

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 12:13
Beware of Duracell fakes.

Two AA Duracell batteries leaked and ruined my voice recorder and Duracell didn't want to know anything about it despite their warranty about replacement if their batteries damage the device. They talked about parallel importers then stopped communicating.

AnswerID: 532223

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 12:38

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 12:38
Yeh I have no sympathy for the importers of duracell and everready in Australia.

They have maintained an over priced battery duopopoly in this country for decades..where they sell primarily to the large supermarkets and deny anybody else at any volume the oportunity to buy wholesale at competitive prices.

I buy US branded Duracel paralell imports wholesale at a fraction of the price I could buy the locally distributed product.

Truth to tell any dry cell battery will leak after it becomes flat.....they all will.....they are designed to..it is part of the bio-degradbility required of the product.

No leakage warranties have been arround for a very long time.....check the fine print....the battery companies don't pay out very often.

If you left some batteries in a device and let em go flat..its your fault.

And as far as the paralell imports...like paralell imports of anything...if there is something to claim. you first port of call is where you baught the batteries...if there is a rightfull claim it would then go back thru to the manufacturer via the route that the battery came by.

There are quite a number of products that have paralell import paths these days.....don't expect one distributer to cover the liabilities of a product imported by another.

cheers
FollowupID: 815422

Reply By: Battery Value - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 08:14

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 08:14
Hi everyone, just let me add some substance to this coffee table talk.

The thing is, Duracell is lacking know how in the fields of car batteries, let alone modern stop start batteries.

And with this, they're not alone in the US which is trailing automotive innovations coming out of Europe.

So what Duracell and also East Penn/Deka did is, they teamed up with the mob who've got what it takes to make these advanced products.
http://www.duracell-automotive.com/en/current/news/article/article/get-started-with-duracell-and-banner.html
http://www.duracell-automotive.com/en/products/product-overview/extreme.html

So it's Austrian based company Banner.
Their product range includes enhanced flooded type designs, and AGM for both cranking power and good cyclic performance.

Amazingly you can find some of their factory labelled product right here in Australia.

cheers, Peter
AnswerID: 532244

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 00:28

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 00:28
A word of warning if you wake up one morning an find a large pink rabbit standing next to your car just pop the bonnet and walk away slowly.
AnswerID: 532304

Sponsored Links