Replace Shock Absorbers or Not?

Submitted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 18:02
ThreadID: 107709 Views:2821 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I currently have a 2006 RV Troopy with standard suspension. I have replaced the shock absorbers about 20,000km ago with Toyota shocks again. In the process of finding out about what was available after market wise, a suspension business that replaces all the police troopy and fire service ute suspension with after market products advised that they had next to brand new Toyota suspension available from these vehicles. The 79 series will fit the 78 so I am told and when I say next to brand new, the vehicles have landed from Japan and gone straight to this suspension place. I have obtained leaf springs,coils,hangers, u bolts, bushes the whole lot and there is not a scratch on them. Cost- free as they can't sell them as they are "second-hand" so they go in the bin. I will be getting this place to fit them to the troopy as my suspension has sagged a little and I like the idea of no extra lift as most after market stuff was 50mm lift or more. I would like to incorporate new shocks and have seen that Koni are good (and expensive) and Tough Dog Big Bore have received favourable feedback.
For those that have these after market shocks, is there a real noticeable difference with these as opposed to Toyota shocks?

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

Mark

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: passionfruit - Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 20:38

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 20:38
I have a 1991 Troopy(first of the 1hz's) and replaced the original shocks with Koni.They are oil, extra length because I have aftermarket leafs.Have had about 3 sets and they ,in my opinion, are the best shocks for this type of 'truck'.Glenn.
AnswerID: 532234

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 21:11

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 21:11
Hi Mark,

If you are keeping Toyota springs I cannot see why you would want to replace the Toyota shockies with aftermarket.

The stock Toyota shockies are an excellent product and I would only suggest replacing them if you replace the springs.

From what I have heard though the Tough dog and Koni's are also very good products. I run standard tough dog shockies at the front now but as I have coils of an inferior after market type whose name I will not mention but were purchased from ARB, I cannot really comment on their overall performance.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532235

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 09:39

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 09:39
The reason those companies change the suspension from new is its woefull
the biggest thing the 79 dropped from the 75 was its ability to take a load

those longer springs sit straight down when anythings put in the back.
Ive driven many 79s from new and the standard springs dont last long and when the new ones are added it transforms them - there not necc lifted springs its more the factory ones are sagged from the start
AnswerID: 532251

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 10:01

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 10:01
Certainly concur. The factory springs are poo. Brand new with 500kg UNDER GVM ours was like a dog with worms.

Standard T shocks are gas so may be OK, but the springs are rubbish.
FollowupID: 815467

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 11:11

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 11:11
Aftermarket suspension transformed my 79, far better on and offroad
I assume a troopy to be likewise
FollowupID: 815475

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 12:41

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 12:41
I agree with get out more. If the gear was any good, why are they replacing it?
I'd say the OEM gear is cheap and a good purchase for Mr. Toyoda when buying in bulk. It's engineered to give an acceptable all round ride taking into consideration bitumen, high speed handling and mild off-road driving with minimal load.
If you're serious about improving your handling in off road conditions and it's shocks you're after, I can personally vouch for the Iron Man Foam Cell big bore shocks.
I'm using them in my little Paj and they have been the best thing I've spent my money on as far as suspension goes and I've modified way more than most would in my type/model of car. I'm set up for long distance touring with way more load than my car was ever designed for, yet I expect good articulation, ability to withstand fade over corrugations and a good daily ride on the bitumen. The Iron Man's deliver on all the above.
Disclaimer....no connection to Iron Man...just a really happy customer.
Fab.
FollowupID: 815487

Reply By: allein m - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 12:29

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 12:29
Some posted in a form that West Australian police had put some knoni shocks on the troopy's
AnswerID: 532261

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 23:18

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 23:18
Mark04,
Don't waste your money on changing from original Toyota shocks and springs.My current Troopy(and I had 4 or 5 while working as a surveyor before retiring) is a 2001 non turbo 4.2 diesel doing 280000kms. Like you I got some free Toyota shocks which I replaced the old ones with at 250000kms.I am still on the original springs and I can tell you this Troopy has been to all parts of Aus. And Tasmania ,Cape York 3 times plus many other off road tracks.I tow a loaded camper up north every year and I have never had a suspension problem .I have seen quite a few failures with all the fancy shocks "upgrades" that is why I will always stick to genuine Toyota shocks.What I will say is that you MUST put a set of air bags on the rear as the Troopy does tend to sag at the back under a big load.This to me has been a proven choice for many years.
AnswerID: 532302

Reply By: Mark O4 - Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 18:45

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 18:45
Thanks everyone for your reply, very much appreciated. I should have mentioned that the troopy does have the firestone airbags on the back to assist when the trailer is on.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 532412

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 22:36

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 22:36
Mark,
I had the same suspension on my 2002 79series and spent 8 years going plenty of desert trips on all the corrugated outback roads. I used the Old Man Emu springs and shocks for the first few years - the springs were good, their shocks were soft as in no time.
So I put the factory Toyota shocks back on - they had already done 80,000k but those factory shocks were a lot better than the Old Man Emu. The factory shocks are fantastic quality - Japanese made Tokiko. Don't let anyone tell you they are cr@p.
The vast majority of damaged shocks I've seen out in the desert have been aftermarket.
AnswerID: 532430

Sponsored Links