Old Gunbarrel

Submitted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 00:12
ThreadID: 107712 Views:1632 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Has anyone travelled the Old Gunbarrel in recent months, particularly Warakurna to Warburton to Everard Junction and onto the David Carnegie?
I would appreciate an indication of how slow the going may be and the general condition nowdays.
Many thanks,
Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 10:17

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 10:17
I think you'll find there are conditions for using this section of the Gunbarrel. Permits are required from Ngaanyatjarra council. there must be between two and five vehicles in your convoy and must have efficient communication equipment.
Having said that, I've always used an average speed of 20 kmph for distance calculations on the rough stuff. (Canning, Simpson, Gumbarrel) It usually works out pretty well overall.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 532255

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 12:38

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 12:38
Phil,

Conditions on the old section don't change much as the track is not maintained. For the length along the Rawlinson Range , expect it to be corrugated, closed in along some sections and eroded in many others. It's a nice run in along the Desert Oak Country near Van der Linden lakes being a lot sandier but you won't be setting any speed records. The section south from the Patjarr turn is maintained to provide access to Patjarr. It will be corrugated and rough but is a formed road and does see a grader from time to time.

From Jackie Junction to the Heather Hwy, much the same as the Rawlinson Range section. From Heather west to Everard and the DCR extremely corrugated and rough. Speed is all up to you but conditions will vary with you being able to move quicker across the rocky sections than those damnable corrugations.

DCR, very much affected by erosion in many places. Track has been overgrown in others. From Empress south, it's in fair to good condition.

I'd concur with Dingo and work on about 150km per day for a good days travel. Some days you'll achieve more, some less but it's a fair average.Dingo is correct on the permits as well.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532262

Follow Up By: Phil D1 - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 13:13

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 13:13
Thanks Mick and Dingo. We aren't going until mid July, but your info helps with the trip planning. We have the permits organised, but thanks for the heads up.
We are doing Hanns Track after the Dale Carnegie, so looking forward to the trip.
Phil
FollowupID: 815492

Reply By: equinox - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 13:39

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 13:39
Hi Phil,
If your going into Warburton and are a Gunbarrel purist remember to go on the Warburton North Road and not the easier road to the east, which some people take, mistakingly thinking its the Gunbarrel.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532263

Sponsored Links