insurance

Submitted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 08:05
ThreadID: 107718 Views:1900 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Can any one tell me If their Insurance covers any form of electrical burn out. A friend if mine had problems with the control box which regulates his 240v and 12v. For some unknown reason it burnt out the 12v section.
He placed a claim through his Insurer but they said it is not fusion and it is not covered by the insurer. Can you help please
Rider
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 08:29

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 08:29
Different companies....different polices.
Ring back again, hopefully you will speak to another person....hear their story....if you don't like the answer ask to speak to a supervisor/team leader....
if you have no success, put it down to experience & consider a new insurer.

I know I'm guilty of when buying insurance, believing I'm covered for everything or at least hoping I will be.....only I wasnt, because I didnt read the small print.
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 532246

Follow Up By: riderau - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 08:40

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 08:40
Hi Tony H . Thanks for the Advice I will pass it on to my mate. Insurance of any sort in Qld is a rip off.
Rider
FollowupID: 815462

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 08:39

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 08:39
Hi Rider

From what I know from work in relation to fusion insurance claims in household situations, fusion only relates to burnt out motors in electrical motors like pumps, washing machines, vacuum cleaners and the like that have a motor, and mechanically burns out and the fault has to be inspected and confirmed by a qualified electrician.

From what you describe above, the control box would only be electronic and not a motor, with no moving parts to fail and there for would not but classed as fusion.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532248

Follow Up By: riderau - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 08:44

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 08:44
Thanks Stephen,
What you just said is exactly what RACQ told my mate. But you would think that an electrical fault like this would be covered as it is a major component of the running of the van.
Thanks Again
Rider
FollowupID: 815463

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 08:52

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 08:52
Hi Rider

I have just Googles Fusion of electrical motors and this it what it states for insurances claims........

FUSION
The actual burning out of an electrical motor or its wiring caused by the electric current in it. Therefore the item you are claiming on must have a motor for the claim to be successful. Common items that may be subject to a fusion claim include washings machines, refrigerators, clothes dryers, freezers and pool motors.

You with find that this will be the case regardless who you are insured with.

Cheers Again.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 815464

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 09:24

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 09:24
Agree with what Stephen has mentioned, if the motor burn't out and took out the integral control circuit then I would suggest insurance would cover it as the motor fusion was the cause of the damaged control box

cheers
FollowupID: 815465

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 09:28

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 09:28
First a question. Is this "control box" in the fridge? If so then they may have a point. But if it is not then read on.

I would still question it. What if a radio was damaged. It doesn't have a motor. The radio in our car failed and it was replaced on insurance.

Try again and this time I would compare it with a TV, radio and in dash GPS or stereo. Firstly ask if they are covered and if they are then the 12V regulator should be. Note the change of name. Then go on the the your equipment. It may be a simple case of "mistaken identity" with the insurance company staff thinking that is is part of the fridge.

Phil
AnswerID: 532249

Follow Up By: baz&pud (tassie) - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 12:39

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 12:39
If the radio in your vehicle failed and was replaced by the Insurance Company, then i would say you are a very lucky man, cause a motor vehicle policy covers you for damage as a result of an accident, not failure.
I have to agree with every thing that Stephen said above.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 815485

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 12:48

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 12:48
It was an accident and something in the radio failed as a result. But I think that the analogy should still apply.

Phil
FollowupID: 815488

Reply By: garrycol - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 14:46

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 14:46
Depending on the insurance policy excess it may not even be worth claiming for an item like that.
AnswerID: 532269

Reply By: Bazooka - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 16:54

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 16:54
You'll be lucky to find a standard policy which covers electrical, mechanical or structural failure.
AnswerID: 532272

Reply By: gbc - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 19:59

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 19:59
If your mate happened to find a fried gecko on the circuit board he'd have a claim under animal damage.........
AnswerID: 532287

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 10:44

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 10:44
Oh Maaaaate....try your hardest by all means, but I recon you are out of luck and realy expecting too much.

For a start Fusion genearlly applies to appliances and not to electrical systems.

In your home, if you have a Fusion clause on your insurance, it would be reasonable to expect a fridge or other appliance to be replaced under fusion, but it would be most unusual to have any part of the electrical system replaced under fusion.

Replaced due to some other cause of dammage, such as lightning strike or storm related over voltage may be...but not under fusion and not for no apparant reason.

Secondly, in a caravan 12 volt electrcal system failures like this can be easily dissmissed as due to over load or other causes or even fair wear and tear.

Nobody is going to insure you for equipment failure with no apparant cause.

cheers

AnswerID: 532326

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 11:08

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 11:08
It sounds like his insurer has already answered your question.
All he can do is have a good read if his PDS & see what it has to say. Everything to do with his policy is contained in that document.
AnswerID: 532328

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)