Fumoto Oil/Sump Drain Valve

Submitted: Monday, May 12, 2014 at 01:47
ThreadID: 107733 Views:2640 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I just came across this sump drain valve system.
Seems like a great idea, saves burning yourself or covering yourself in dirty hot oil when unscrewing the sump drain plug, particularly if you're doing your own oil changes.
Also makes it easy to drain off a bit of oil if you inadvertently overfilled the engine.

Anyone using them, pros and cons?

Fumoto Drain Valve

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - GeeTee (NT) - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 05:49

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 05:49
Great device. Have had one in the Nissan for years. Does all it is supposed to, no problems.

AnswerID: 532309

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 06:20

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 06:20
Haven't used one myself but a number of members on another forum I frequent have them and no negative responses heard
AnswerID: 532310

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 08:06

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 08:06
Hi John. I've been using one for years on my Subaru and find it great for quickening oil changes. The only reason I have not put one on the Prado or the Troopy is a concern of a flying object or an impact occurring that could open up the valve unknowingly. Probably never happen but just part of my risk approach. Hope all is going well for you these days. Cheers, Leigh
AnswerID: 532315

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 09:10

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 09:10
Hi Leigh
Yeah going well mate, hope retirement is going well for you.

Apparently a cable tie or a twisted wire applied in the appropriate way is the method of reducing the risk of inadvertent opening.
Seems like a good concept and well proven.
Anything to make life a little easier :)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 815568

Reply By: Moto - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 08:08

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 08:08
Have used one for 10 years with no problems.

Much easier when doing your own oil changes. Does take a couple of minutes longer for the oil to drain as the outlet hole is smaller than the original sump plug.
Handy if you overfill or want an oil sample.

Would not hesitate to buy another if I changed vehicles.

No cons....great devise.
One life. Live it while you can.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 532316

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 10:15

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 10:15
These and similar drain taps have been arround for a very long time, I can see that some people think they are a great idea, BUT I question the assertion that there is a problem with the normal drain plug.

On most vehicles if you handle the drian plug properly you should be able to get away with little or no oil on your fingers.....even if you do..is that a real biggie....you will cretainly spill more oil getting the filter off.

Crack the drain plug with your spanner of choice, then unscrew while keeping pressure on the plug...when the last thread is released remove the plug to one side...simple.

then there are the downsides.

I have seen several bashed sumps and sump pllugs with scrapes and gouges on them from scraping on the ground or being hit by objects.
When the sump plug is steel and flush as it can be to the sump, the likelihood of problematic dammage is low.
If a drain tap ( any drain tap) is fitted it has to prorrude further and provide a softer target.

As far as the tap being immune from accidental opening....um yeh well......some may consider it unlucky or a freak incident, But I can see it is possible for any drain tap no matter how well designed to be opend by accident...or perhaps on purpose by someone with bad intent.

Most people would consider a normal sump plug a fairly reliable thing and having a low risk of comming undone...but it does happen.....easily enough for it to be mandatory in many forms of motor racing and on some work sites to have sump plugs wired.

The whole point is taps open easily...hmmm....think on that.

Then there is the obstruction that the drain tap presents.
The literature says that it allows you to drain the oil while it is hotter.

It is a general belief that oil should be drained as fast and as hot as possible to take any suspended solids in the bottom of the sump with it.

This drain tap must slow down the drain speed and reduce the drain apiture.

The other related matter is that in many sumps it will raise the drain level, leaving more residue oil in the sump.

Call me pedantic if you like, but I always throw about 1/4 to 1/2 litre of clean oil thru the motor with the sump plug out, to get the last black dregs out of the motor.
It is surprising how much extra dirty oil this brings out of the sump.

Raising the drain level even a few milimeters will increase the amount of residual oil considerably....I can see some sumps one of these drain plugs raising the drain level a good 5 or 6 mm....that could increase the residual oil held back by 100 to 200mL or more in some sumps.

Sorry but I will be sticking with the well proven bolt type sump plug.

Cheers
AnswerID: 532323

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 16:27

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 16:27
Some good points.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 815597

Follow Up By: howesy - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 17:41

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 17:41
Don't think the residual oil is such a big issue.
There are so many little nooks and crannies where oil can lay there is always going to be some. I had a high performance vehicle with a factory oil cooler that never ever drained so retained about half a litre and the engine was flogged before I sold it at 360,000km with no ill effects. I changed the oil with a filter every 7500km (high volume sump),,,,,on a five litre capacity I change every 5000km,,,I really think the frequency of change is the key because you are never going to stop residual contaminants
FollowupID: 815602

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 16:51

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 16:51
I've put one on every vehicle we have had in the last 10 years , no mess , just shove a clear hose onto the end and run the dirty oil straight into an empty oil container , have never had a 'fail' of the tap opening from rocks etc , to open takes TWO distinct actions , never bothered to time drain time BUT the actual time with the tap would not be any more than 25% extra ,,two sorts available 1 with nipple allows use of a hose= best imho.
AnswerID: 532348

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 17:08

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 17:08
Another ' advantage ' is that once fitted you never ever have to replace / find the drain plug washer or having the ' apprentice ' stripping the drain plug thread / rounding corners ETC…..
AnswerID: 532350

Reply By: D-Jack - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 21:03

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 21:03
Got one on my Triton, it is protected by 3mm bash plates, you can get a c-clip for them which has to be removed before the tap can be opened. I (or the mechanic) would normally attached hose as already mentioned which alleviates the need to remove the bash plates This is good for everyone (they forgot to put a bolt in last time which I found at Birdsville). DOES NOT DRIP contrary to some thoughts. Worth every dollar.
AnswerID: 532376

Sponsored Links