Bedding options

Submitted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 21:17
ThreadID: 107765 Views:3809 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Just finalising our inventory for a Simpson trip in July, and I was wondering if anyone has used, or had experience, with the Duvalay (http://www.duvalay.co.uk/) as an alternative to the traditional sleeping bag?

We will be tenting it, and it is the middle of winter, so I am concerned that as it does not zip up, that we will not be warm enough.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter F.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 21:58

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 21:58
Hi Peter

I just watched their video and it only talks as it being a very comfortable mattress and no mention of it being a sleeping bag, with a number of different thickness mattresses available, so it looks like you would use your normal bedding.

Depending on the weather, you will go from mild nights in the teens if you have full cloud cover to well below zero if you have a clear sky. Get your bedding wrong and you will have the coldest nights and your worst ever camping experience.

Get yourself the best possible, quality rated sleeping bags and if you want that same style of bedding, a good quality Australian made swag for a perfect nights sleep without a tent.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532422

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 17:01

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 17:01
Stephen, that site promotes them as sleeping bags - See this page.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 815729

Follow Up By: Member - fawkesp - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:08

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:08
Thanks Stephen, I really feel the cold so I will keep looking.

Peter.
FollowupID: 815738

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:17

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:17
Hi Peter,

Sorry I did not see that page. Sleeping inside or in a van is war ?ers than sleeping out in the swag, so I wonder just how warm they would be. I do like the way that that roll up quite compact compared tp a normal swag.

I wonder if you can buy them here in Australia.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 815741

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 22:53

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 22:53
Quote "I wonder if you can buy them here in Australia."

Have a look at - http://www.duvalay.co.uk/Stockist?all_stores=true - middle entry in the top of the listing.

Being a little interested in them I sent the following th the Contact address on the home page:

"What temperature rating is the Duvet? There are some campers looking at them for use in tents in the Australian deserts. Temperatures there can get down below zero drg C.

"Are there several Duvets or is there only the one standard one? I can't see options on your web site."

I got the following reply:

Good Morning Peter

Thank you for your email enquiry.

We do two different tog ratings 4.5 and 10.5. The 10.5 should be sufficient enough as the topper underneath will give you a little bit of warmth as well.

If you would like anymore information please feel free to contact us via email or call on 01274 877200

Kind regards

Louise Swain
DUVALAY SALES

I don't know how these compare with our sleeping bag ratings but there is an article here that explains the togs - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tog_%28unit%29 -
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 815760

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 19:52

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 19:52
Peter,
I'm like you. Anything below 15 is freezing in my opinion. When I did the Simpson I used a good Aussie made swag with a nice thick 70mm foam egg crate mattress. Keeping the cold off the underside of you is the key to feeling comfortable. Then I had a woolen blanket doubled up under my sleeping bag and I slept in a minus 30 mummy style sleeping bag. I took thermals, trackie dacks for sleeping in and a beanie but I found jocks and a t-shirt was adequate.
Insulate from the bottom and you'll be right. Tents are useless in my opinion. Good for keeping flies out and to get changed in but for warmth you can't beat a good swag.
The above was Stephen's advice to me before my trip and it served me excellently.
Fab.
FollowupID: 815803

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 19:54

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 19:54
Hi Peter

Thanks for your follow up direct to the UK.

From their reply with....it will give you a little bit of warmth as well...

It would not be suitable for any winter desert trip in Australia. When it gets well below zero, you need to know you are going to be as snug as a bug, and not shivering your but off.

We all know that once you get cold, it makes any camping trip a trip from hell and not unless you are close to a camp fire, is nearly impossible to get warm again until the warning rays of the sun next morning.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 815805

Reply By: bockstar1 - Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 22:05

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 22:05
Did the Simpson last year in June. Had a feather down sleeping bag and thermals. Glad I did as I reckon on one of the nights, it dropped below freezing. On that morning, I dropped the tent down on pack up. Got distracted with something and after 5 minutes came back and found the condensation on the inside of tent had turned to a thin layer of ice -- and this was at 7 in the morning!!

Suggest you take the warmest sleeping bag possible. Better to be too hot than too cold.
AnswerID: 532424

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 08:39

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 08:39
In the Northern Simpson we have had milk freeze overnight, yes quite common to get in the minuses.
FollowupID: 815708

Follow Up By: Member - fawkesp - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:10

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:10
bockstar1 - that doesn't sound good, I trust the scenery during the day will make up for it!

Peter.
FollowupID: 815739

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 22:24

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 22:24
40mm foam may not protect you from the freezing cold ground. A good layer under you does wonders to keep you warm. I have friends who carry a high density foam campers mat and roll it out under the swag as extra insulation. A few foam squares does a good job too.
AnswerID: 532429

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 17:04

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 17:04
If you reckon that 40 mm is not enough then get the 50 mm one.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 815731

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:41

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:41
Peter, where on the Duvalay website is there a 50mm version?
FollowupID: 815743

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:47

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:47
It's OK Peter, I eventually found their 50mm version. I wouldn't be so sure that 50mm makes too much of a difference. We moved to 70cm foam ("4wd mattress") in our double swag that we use for desert trips without the Tvan. The swag previously had a good Dunlop 50cm foam mattress.
Out of interest, we spent a night on the ice in Antarctica with nothing but a foam camp mat under the sleeping bag and it wasn't too bad!
FollowupID: 815745

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 00:07

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 00:07
I've had both a fold out roof top tent (Open Sky) and now a Maggiolina. My standard set up is to have a self inflator either over or under the mattress for added insulation, and I use just standard sheets, a cotton over blanket (which doubles for warmer nights) and a minus something thermal sleeping bag which I open as a doona.

Never been cold, even in the Flinders when I woke up with ice on the top of the OPen Sky tent. Snug as...
AnswerID: 532435

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:43

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:43
Scott, the original poster says he'll be in a tent.
I find sleeping on cold ground is a lot colder than sleeping off the ground.
FollowupID: 815744

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 22:58

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 22:58
Phil, probably right, however the self inflators add a level of insulation.
FollowupID: 815761

Reply By: mikehzz - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 05:53

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 05:53
Thanks for posting. The memory foam sleeping bag looks pretty good. As others have said, one of the most important things is to have good insulation underneath. I never zip up my sleeping bag as I tie myself into a pretzel if I do so not zipping is a bonus for me. Hopefully some reviews will be forthcoming.
AnswerID: 532438

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 15:33

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 15:33
A lot of people are moving to duvets and speak highly of the concept (not your Duvelay specifically) . . . even bushwalkers are finding advantages of not being constricted in a sleeping bag.

The sleeping bag page here http://www.duvalay.co.uk/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Memory-Foam-Sleeping-Bag shows the way the top overlaps the bottom.

Might be ok, I'd be tempted to use it with a stretcher under an awning, or if in a tent on the ground, a decent 4cm or thicker thermorest or similar air mattress underneath.
AnswerID: 532453

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 13:07

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 13:07
When its cold (below zero) a feather down sleeping bag is the go. Pricey though.

I would find a tent too inconvenient. Unrolling and rolling up a swag is demanding enough for me.

I have used an aluminium folding camp stretcher under the swag. This takes about a minute to fold and unfold, but adds weight to the load in the vehicle. By raising the swag off the ground it gives you something to sit on while you tie your laces etc You can sleep in areas with less favourable ground than with just a swag.

I have also used a tent cot. Very quick to fold and unfold, and gives protection from rain. However, adds significantly to mass and volume of gear in vehicle. Impairs view of stars.

Bob
AnswerID: 532552

Sponsored Links