HN7 Mounting issues

Submitted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 23:29
ThreadID: 107766 Views:7362 Replies:10 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I have upgraded my HN5 to the new HN7. Currently using the dash mount disc to hold the display to surface of the dash as mounting on the windscreen blocks too much vision due to the size of the unit.
Problem is, and with both dash and windscreen mounts is the sheer size and weight of the HN7 shakes around on all but the smoothest of roads, cannot imagine what would happen on the corrugates (yet to try). This was not a problem with the smaller HN5.
Anyone have any ideas on reducing the "shake" as I think I have just purchased a $700 unit that will be useless in the rough.

A formal letter to Hema may be pending as will not be able to use off road which it is designed for and possibly not fit for purpose.

Any advise appreciated.

Thommo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 23:56

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 23:56
Thommo, similar problem with my HN6 even with the backing plate. Did a review, however it's been deleted due to them not selling the unit any more.

Was happy with most of it, however I thought the suction cup was way to small for the weight of the unit. Has bounced off numerous times even on mild corrugations. I can't see how Hema think this would be robust enough for even mild 4wd use.......

Have an old iPaq i use for my car - the unit is much lighter and the holder has a bigger suction plate - unfortunately the holders won't interchange ... :-(

They don't supply a cradle you can screw on your dash - it's only the windscreen mount, and frankly I think it's sub-standard for 4wd use.
AnswerID: 532434

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 07:15

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 07:15
Have a close look at the plastic suction cup for "vinyl sweat".

Give it a good clean. It should stick much better after that.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 532440

Follow Up By: evaredy - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 11:20

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 11:20
I don't have the Hema but do have a 7" GPS unit. I have it mounted to the windscreen, I have it as far down as I can get it, this allows the unit to sit on the dash and helps to stop it from bouncing around.
FollowupID: 815715

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 13:27

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 13:27
evaredy, my Dad does that in his 80 series, unfortunately that technique doesn't work in the 40 series....
FollowupID: 815721

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 12:06

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 12:06
Send it back and get one that mounts directly into the dash and without a pop out screen.

Our double din unit does not have a mega big screen but at it is easy to see and use when driving.

Phil
AnswerID: 532449

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 13:41

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 13:41
this is what ive always said, there just a cheap chinese navigator with a brand name
you can set up the same thing yourself at a fraction of the price, fork out for a decent holder off ebay and still be streets in front

heres an example
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-HD-Car-GPS-8GB-Wireless-Camera-Bluetooth-Nav-Navigation-System-2011-Map-/170774188672#ht_5561wt_1105

comes with reversing camera, and shade which cost $5 on ebay and over $30 with the hema logo
so for
$120 for the navigator
$40 for ozi for CE
say $20 for an SD card

= $180
+$200 for the latest hema maps ( if thats what you want to run)
= $380 which includes a reverse camera and shade

which leaves you $319 to spend on more maps lie the new EO topo
AnswerID: 532450

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 17:53

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 17:53
Just looked at that GPS devise on Ebay seems quite good for the price. thought I might get one for my sons birthday. And buy EO topo for it. Do you know if the devise will actually support EO Topo? Or should I speak to the EO Shop?

Jeff
PS I'd like EO Topo for myself but being a Garmin user their system does not support it so I use Shonky Maps which work well and are FREE
FollowupID: 815734

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 17:58

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 17:58
after you put ozi for CE on it ($40 included in my pricing ) it will run any ozii maps in ozf format which pretty sure the oztopo is

the navigator i run was $70 but is a bit older no reverse camera which is fine and the hard drive isnt good enough to run movies properly

but it runs ozi just fine - it runs IGO maps for round town same as Hema I have Hema 2012 on it along with other maps. only downside is it only takes an 8 gig card meaning i have to cycle maps onto it that will best suit my trip which 99% of the time isnt an isue but could be for a round australia
FollowupID: 815735

Reply By: bruce b2 - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 16:09

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 16:09
I"ve just returned from the Strzlecki Track afer working at Moomba for a few days. The camp we we billetted at was about 80Km from Moomba so it was a 160Km drive every day. As there is fuel only available at Innamioncka, we had to go there as well. The Innamincka track is a shocker, most af the Strz. is ok. After leaving Moomba we travelled to Cammeron Corner, Tibbooburra and eventually White Cliffs in NSW. Then back on the black. The HN7 did not budge. But I made sure that the window was very clean with Windex and stuff. I also rubbed a little bit of spit on the suction cap before sticking it on the window, after letting it dry, in went the HN7. As i said, i've had no problem.........yet.
regards - bb
AnswerID: 532454

Follow Up By: bruce b2 - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 16:13

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 16:13
ps - it was approximately 3200km all up of some corrgations, lumps, potholes and some nice smoothish dirt roads etc
bb
FollowupID: 815726

Follow Up By: THOMMO59 - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 16:26

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 16:26
Thanks Bruce, its not the pad to the windscreen thats my issue hasn't moved since I put it there. Its the shaking of the unit in the mount.
Anyway I will see how in goes off road on the weekend.

Regards
Thommo
FollowupID: 815728

Follow Up By: bruce b2 - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 11:39

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 11:39
sorry Thommo, i didn't read your question properly as to using the dash mount and i agree that it it a large-ish unit that can block a bit of vision. I'm relatively lucky that the vehicle it is mounted in (work's Nissan Patrol) has a pretty good spot right in the bottom right hand corner of the front windscreen, and as i said hasn't moved whilst on the window mount where it is not supported by the dash. I was going to try the dash mount cup but now I'm glad I didn't. I can't quite understand why it shakes in the dash mount but not in the window mount, may be because it is mounted vertically in the dash but horizontal on the window.
good luck.
regards - bb

FollowupID: 815778

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 16:10

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 16:10
I am sorry but I find it strange why people insist in getting half baked kit that is either stuck on the windscreen, on a metal tripod that could go through your head in a prange or a tablet/laptop sitting on the passengers lap. All above with various cables etc running around the cabin. And whats more it is an attractive item and gone in a flash if someone else wants it without asking.

It may be an individuals choice but I am happy that we did not go down that track.

Phil
AnswerID: 532455

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 17:02

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 17:02
Phil, bully for you, unfortunately some of us do use these things.....
FollowupID: 815730

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 18:18

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 18:18
Don't be smart. I was expressing an opinion.
FollowupID: 815736

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:06

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:06
Actually Phil you're response was adding nothing to the topic.

So they don't root your boot fine. In essence your response said "I don't see the need for one and I think anyone who does is somewhat silly". The topic was around a question for people who have this bit of kit and whether and how to overcome a issue with this piece of kit, not a question as to whether the are worthwhile on not.

If the question was along the lines of ..."I'm thinking of spending my hard earned readies on piece of kit 'x' and I'd like to know the good, bad, and ugly from those who have one.." then all opinions good or bad or contrary are on the table.

I see many discussions on this forum around bits of equipment that because of my personal preferences or travelling set up I wouldn't think of taking on the road in a month of Sundays, but just because either I don't like them or it doesn't fit my use doesn't mean I'm going to criticise those who do have a need.

For example, I'm no lover of generators, and wouldn't pack one if you paid me, but if someone has a medical need for one (CPAP / aircon etc.), to post on a topic around Gennies that "I don't need one and I don't see why you do" would add nothing and possibly offend someone who is asking a genuine question. Adds nothing.

Similarly, I don't prefer to tow things on the road, and I don't need portable clothes washing on the road (pack enough jocks, socks, and shirts to last me between stops), however if I was travelling with a wife and 3 ankle-biters, I'd probably re-think that position.....

Sure you're entitled to your opinion, but sometimes some vacuums don't need to be filled....
FollowupID: 815737

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:23

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:23
Boy did I hit a nerve. And may I say that it was not my aim. Hovever thanks for the chuckle. I needed that, as I had some cancer burnt off today.

Yes we have an "electronic toy" that display maps and plays DVDs and has blue tooth (not used) etc, and I won't say which one, as it is irrelevant. It's installed in a double din space in the dash and fully integrated with the cars wiring harness and bus.

My point was purely about safety and the need to get the right tool for the right job. A point that you missed.

I don't know what you have nor do I care. Nor was I commenting about you.

Phil
FollowupID: 815742

Follow Up By: phil300 - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 20:56

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 20:56
In the opening question:
A formal letter to Hema may be pending as will not be able to use off road which it is designed for and possibly not fit for purpose.

Any advise appreciated.

Thommo

So I think your comments on adouble din unit were a good point as Thommo must of been thinking of a refund.

cheers phil

from phil
FollowupID: 815749

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 21:22

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 21:22
Around Christmas I dropped in to a car stereo place and they had some large screen units where the screen slid out when turned on. They were as flimsey and anything. But as the bloke said they were made for highway "high end" (questionable) stereo doof doof use and not for going up dirt roads.

And I think that is Hema's problem. Trying to find a strong mount for one installed in the dash. The only way is with a smaller screen and double din so that the screen doesn't move. We took ages selecting ours. Plenty of cost deserves plenty of research before buying.

Thanks Phil.

Catchya

Phil
FollowupID: 815750

Reply By: Bludge - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 09:15

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 09:15
Thommo,

I have a 10" tablet that I run HEMA and OziExplore on, so I had to fine a suitable mount. I found Exogear have an Exomount that suited Exogear web site for around $50.00 (free shipping) you can get a mount for your HN7 (ExoMount Tablet S) that will sit below the dash and in front of the radio (in my car).

I have had mine for well over a year and it lives in my car. It has endured many, many off road trips including the Cape a couple of times. Corrugation, lumps and bumps and the heat and humidity of the tropics (where I live) has not found any flaws with this mount.

I hope this helps.
AnswerID: 532486

Follow Up By: MactrolPod - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 19:25

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 19:25
Thanks Bludge, great link.
Also for answering the OP.
Sometimes wonder if posters read what they have written or read the OP's question.
You have and good onya mate.
FollowupID: 815799

Follow Up By: THOMMO59 - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 19:54

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 19:54
Thanks for the link Bludge,
Will check it out and thanks for replying to my post with some positives..

Cheers
Thommo
FollowupID: 815804

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 20:14

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 20:14
MactroPod,

"Sometimes wonder if posters read what they have written or read the OP's question." exactly !! and was the point of my "rant" :-) Both Thommo & I are happy with the unit and function, just a bit unhappy about the mounting options and seeking advice as to how to rectify the problem. We both felt the mounting option wasn't fit for purpose, but nowhere did the OP indicate he wanted to get rid of the kit.

So replies along the line of "p1ss your $700 up against the wall and buy something else" ain't exactly contributing anything to the discussion.

FollowupID: 815806

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 21:04

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 21:04
Bludge

That looks good, how does the suction go on the vinyl top of your dash? I found that very few suction thingys stick on patterened vinyl

Alan
FollowupID: 815810

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 21:13

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 21:13
Bludge, many thanks - that tablet S looks like the ducks guts...
FollowupID: 815811

Follow Up By: Bludge - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 08:01

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 08:01
Alan,

There is a disc that is has self adhesive that is put on the dash, this allows the older to be removed as required, as I said I d not remove mine, I just swing it up onto the dash when not in use.

By the way there are many similar style tablet and hone mounts as well as the Exogear one that I got.

Kropsson and Obliqs are similar brands but seem to be on eBay only.

(turn the boring music off)
FollowupID: 815819

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 09:46

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 09:46
Thanks Bludge
FollowupID: 815827

Follow Up By: evaredy - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 13:31

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 13:31
The problem is with these types of mounts is still vibration. You can see that in the above video when the person is operating the tablet, imagine what it would be like on rough roads.

Quite a few people use Ram Mounts, for various gadgets, tablet, GPS units etc.
http://www.rammount.com/

You can buy individual components to make up your own if they don't have a ready made kit.

I have seen one mount that bolts to the seat bolts and has an arm that extends up. It may pay to shoot them an email.

I believe these are supposed to be very good when it comes to stability.

Hope it helps.
FollowupID: 815846

Reply By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 00:36

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 00:36
Hi , we have a HN6 mounted on the windscreen and have just returned from a 8 week trip to the Kimberley's , including the gibb river road , and never had a problem , luv our Hema
Cheers Judy and Laurie
AnswerID: 532529

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 00:38

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 00:38
Hey scott I would have thought the messege was clear and answering the question.
-buy a better specced unit for 1/2the price.
This does 2things
1) because you didnt pay much for it you probably wouldnt complain about a crappy mount.
2)the money you saved can be used to buy a decent mount. Like a ram mount
AnswerID: 532530

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 18:41

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 18:41
Hi THOMMO59,

I have approached Hema regarding the issue that you are experiencing, and they state that this definitely sounds like a faulty mount.

Please see information regarding these mounts from their email to me:

"This mount has proved to be very stable and outperformed many mounts with larger suction cups during extensive testing in wide range of off road environment and vehicles, including our Map Patrol and use by Philip from Camps on a field trip. The mount was also laboratory tested and approved for use for the HN7 (based on weight) by the German manufacturer, Herbert Richter."

Therefore, they have asked that you contact them via email directly at: info@hemamaps.com.au and they will arrange for a new mount to be sent to you, as well as a return satchel to return the faulty mount (so they can asses what the fault is).

If you require any further assistance at all, please just let me know.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 532577

Sponsored Links