Request for Advice on Canvas

Submitted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 11:12
ThreadID: 107781 Views:2273 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Last year after rain, unbeknown to me my better half folded up our 4WD Camper whilst damp after letting the kids & their friends sleep in it for a night.

The result being after opening the camper six months or so later, the canvas on the roof is covered in mildew. It's only a cheap EZYCamper so I accept there's better quality canvas used on other campers. Nonetheless it's served us well thus far.

Years ago my father scrubbed the roof of his annexe after parking under a magpies nest for four months & in doing so compromised the canvas. It never looked the same again so I''m keen to avoid a similar result.

So I'm open to advice on how or should tackle the mildew & ideally what products are available to help me.

Please advise & thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 11:46

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 11:46
Google "remove mildew from canvas" there are a couple of solutions.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532496

Reply By: goldrayenergy - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 15:47

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 15:47
My mum used to use Oil of Cloves to remove/kill mould and mildew. Not sure of the mix but a teaspoon to a litre of water rings a bell. Put it in a spray bottle and spray onto the area and leave for a minute, give it a scrub with a brush, wipe over and then re-spray the area and leave to dry.

Worth a shot.
AnswerID: 532506

Follow Up By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 16:05

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 16:05
The Oil of Cloves will work but only a couple of drops needed for a litre of water.
Mike.
FollowupID: 815788

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 18:05

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 18:05
Think 1/4 teaspoon per litre is the go, and spray it on.

Shannon Lush is the lady who knows all about this sort of thing.

www.shannonlush.com

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 815796

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 18:31

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 18:31
If you do a search on this site, there was a thread started by a canvas expert discussing this.
One way to clean it if I remember correctly, was a 90% white vinegar to 10% water mix.

AnswerID: 532511

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 22:06

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 22:06
Unlikely to do any more than improve it but doubt you'll get it all out. Regardless of quality, canvas is basically canvas. Most are cotton and that is more difficult to treat than a polyester or poly/cotton one. A few different cures, but I've always preferred a bleach/water solution, starting off weak and building up to a stronger mix if necessary. You will probably only succeed in fading the mould but you will have arrested it.
AnswerID: 532525

Reply By: Mapesy (QLD) - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 07:59

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 07:59
Hey Guys,
On the same track but slightly different. I have the same problem with my vinyl awning after being rolled up wet and left for too long.
Will the suggestions provided work or is there a better method?
AnswerID: 532533

Follow Up By: auzinomad - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 12:12

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 12:12
Had that problem once.
I used truck wash and a good soft scrubbing brush to remove most of the marks , Then rinsed with a soft rag and a little bleach mixed in to kill the rest of the surviving mould.

These days I occasionally do a wash / rinse with a mild vinegar solution to keep it all good.

Note:-
For them that try to mix an oil with water,
The oil wont ''mix'' with the water but form droplets.
To make the droplets finer there's a stuff called Disper from most oils suppliers.
Of course you could always mix it with a bit of full cream milk, but that's cheating.

Ron
FollowupID: 815837

Sponsored Links