Tyres

Submitted: Monday, May 19, 2014 at 10:30
ThreadID: 107840 Views:3273 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip from Brisbane-Karumba-Darwin/Kakadu-Kimberleys-Broome (Gibb River Rd)-Alice (Tanami Track)-Uluru-Winton-East Coast. We have Bridgestone AT tyres on a landcruiser 200 series. We'll be carrying 2 spares (but for day trips when venturing without the camper we'll only have 1 spare with us).

We're wondering if we need to change the tyres to something a bit more rugged between a mud and an AT. Bob Jane suggested Dick Cepek's "Fun Country".

Do you think we need something more rugged than All Terrain tyres?

What do you think of Dick Cepek's Fun Country?

If not Fun Country, then what - Perelli?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CSeaJay - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 10:44

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 10:44
Truman
Sounds like a good trip and sounds like you are preparing well.
From the info you provided I would suggest a good LT tire. Tread pattern AT should be ok. It is not worth swapping 6+ tires just to get a different tread for this trip.

What i would suggest though is that you start with relatively good tires with plenty tread, and if you simply look after them (drop pressures on the dirt roads, pump again for the bitumen, adjust speed accordingly) you will be fine!
Oh, and LT as minimum spec of course
Enjoy the trip
CJ
AnswerID: 532749

Reply By: 671 - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 11:25

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 11:25
Trueman

I think many people do a lot unnecessary worrying about tyres. I have a set of street and off road tyres for my car. You would be amazed where it has gone on the street tyres when I could not be bothered changing them and that includes the Oodnadatta Track.

I am not suggesting you use street tyres but whatever you use, the main thing is don't overload the car and don't drive like a bat out of hell in an attempt to keep to an unrealistic time schedule. Those two things can easily destroy any tyres.

You must be able to stop within the distance that you can see. That applies to all roads but it takes on a much higher level of importance on Outback roads. It is not much fun slamming into a washout and damaging the car or rolling it in a sandy patch at too high a speed because you were going so fast you could not get down low enough in time to crawl through the obstacle. Take your time and enjoy yourself.

The other thing is be very careful where you drive if you get off a track for lunch, sight seeing etc. or to camp for the night. You are far more likely to get a piece of wood through a sidewall off a track than on it so get out, have a good look around and remove any wood etc, that looks threatening.
AnswerID: 532753

Reply By: Krooznalong - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 13:07

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 13:07
Bob Jane are just after your money. AT tread pattern, with plenty of life remaining, will be fine.
AnswerID: 532758

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 13:47

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 13:47
Truman and Family

I have done most of the roads you are talking about in my old patrol on Bridgestone AT tyres. In the 12 years I owned it I did in three tyres.

One of the essential things is tyre pressure. That has been posted again and again.

It would not be necessary and very expensive to change the tyres.

One thing I would recommend is a tyre pressure monitoring system. They work well.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532763

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 15:31

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 15:31
Hi Guys

Did the first part of that same trip last year (Brisbane-Lawn Hill-Karumba) in the 200 Series with Bridgstone AT Duellers (LT construction)...like everyone has said....they should be fine. Did Cape York a few back with the same set...and IMHO I'd have those over the Dick Cepek's any day.

Chris
AnswerID: 532769

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 17:17

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 17:17
Done both those routes with both BFG AT's & BFG MT's.

The AT's will be more than adequate for what you want to do....
AnswerID: 532774

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 12:06

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 12:06
With a name like "Fun Country".....how would anyone take you seriously!
They look the same as the Dick Septics FC11 which have been a very unloved tyre on trips I've done in the past - seem to get staked sidewalls more than most.
AnswerID: 532812

Reply By: Truman and Family - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 08:13

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 08:13
Thank you all for the comments. It seems we'll be OK on our existing Bridgestone A/T tyres. They have about 1cm of tread on them. And it seems if we were to go and replace them for the trip with something more rugged, I wouldn't be choosing Dick Cepek.

Appreciated.
AnswerID: 532869

Sponsored Links