Tyre recommendation for 2014 Ford Ranger Supercab XL

Submitted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 12:29
ThreadID: 107870 Views:7053 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am just to about to purchase a 2014 Ford Ranger Supercab XL 4x4.
As part of the purchase I want to change over the rims and tyres so I am trying to negotiate this as part of the sale.

I have 2 choices for rim size, either 16x7inch or 17x8 inch. The advantage of the 16 x 7 is I can keep the existing spare so I will need to only purchase 4 rims and not 5 rims if I go the 17x8 inch. I am leaning towards the 17x8 but more important to me is the really good tyre for the Ranger and I will buy 4 or 5 rims happily. What would be a good tyre for my situation that would fit either of these rim sizes?

The 16x7 rim from the factory has existing tyres of size P255/70 R16.
The 17x8 rim tyre size on other XLT Ranger models from the factory have a tyre size of 265/65 R17.

I have been into 2 tyre places and they have both recommended Coopers AT3 for 17x8 rim (they didn't ask me too many questions they just appeared to jump on the words "all terrain" really):
Coopers AT3 265/65 R17 (passenger) 111T
Coopers AT3 265/65 R17 (light truck) 120R

My preference would be the light truck version but I am a bit concerned about on road handling, particularly in the wet. My driving is 50% around Melbourne and 50% in the country. Its about 80% black top and 20% off road. The off road is more coastal and mainly touring and fishing rather than bush bashing. I will not be towing anything but the vehicle will have a GVM uplift to 3330Kg (2 inch lift) and when loaded will be up around the 3200Kg level.

75% of the time I will NOT have a load on the back so it will be a lot lighter Ranger with a tray and the vehicle will be in 2 or rear wheel drive only. I am just not sure how an all terrain tyre will go on a wet Melbourne or coastal bitumen road, off course I may not need to worry now with traction control on modern vehicles as I have not had this before.

Currently I have a Prado which is always in all wheel drive and I run Pirelli Scorpion ATR which have been really good in all conditions for the 50K they have done, but 1 of the dealers told me they are not being made. The closest Pirelli Scorpion LT tyre I can find on their website is LT265/70 R17 121S but I am not sure it will fit the Ranger. Would this size tyre fit and work well?

Previously I had some BFG All Terrain tyres on a GU Patrol which were great off road but not so good on road. Any advice on my situation would be appreciated as tyres are not my forte and I don't do enough kms to have tried too many brands.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Barry P (VIC) - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 13:24

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 13:24
sorry my reply is in post 107872
AnswerID: 532889

Reply By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 15:00

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 15:00
Gidday Sam

Just curious as to why you are so keen to upgrade the rims and tyres.

I have the previous model Ranger XLT super cab and the standard size tyres, initially Bridgestone 693s and now 697s, have taken me on some rough and remote tracks (Anne Beadell, gunbarrell etc) without any hint of a problem. Just lower the pressures and drive accordingly.

Just back from a trip through the Pilbara where one member of the group had a well equipped 200 series landcruiser with coopers and while I didn't get the full details it seems they were his third set after a few warranty issues.

Most of my other driving is like you, suburban and highway running and the bridgestones don't seem to be a problem, bearing in mind of course that driving a ute involves handling and stopping compromises and a light right foot in certain circumstances.

Cheers

AnswerID: 532894

Follow Up By: Sam39 - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 17:44

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 17:44
Hi, thanks for the response.

The XL comes with these tyres Bridgestone Dueler 684ii 111T H/T from my understanding (I don't want to highway tyre with load off road) and some not very nice IMHO looking rims that i would like to change so I thought I would do it at purchase if I can get a good reasonable deal.
I am fitting TPMS internal sensors which need to be done as part of tyre set up so I can keep a good eye on tyre pressures.

As I don't change tyres very often (10K to 15K per year), I will be stuck with whatever I go with for several years assuming they last ;-)

Do you know what weight your Ranger is fully loaded when you went on those longer desert tracks and how did the Ranger go compared to other vehicles?
FollowupID: 816202

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 18:23

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 18:23
Gidday Sam

Point taken abt the standard tyres.

I travel light compared to some, being solo helps. Almost certainly nowhere near weights you are talking. Most recent trip was probably heaviest with 60l of fuel and 60 of water in Jerrys, an extra spare wheel and tyre, some recovery gear, camping gear, small fridge and provisions for a week and odds and ends.

The Ranger has never failed to go where bigger, more powerful and sometimes lifted 4wds have. If it has ever needed two goes at an obstacle that has been more to do with the driver (me) than the car. Nothing has broken or fallen off, though the passenger side mirror came a bit loose last week but was easily sorted.

I envy you getting a new one. Good luck with it

Cheers

FollowupID: 816208

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 16:14

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 16:14
The AT3 are a good choice of tyre and you will have no problems in the wet...... make mental note.... don't chase high performance cars. The Ranger is a 4wd and not a race car so drive accordingly.

I asked the same questions many years ago when I got into 4wd's regarding tyres, I learnt most AT style tyres provide more then enough grip in the wet and I could not tell the difference between tyres on my passenger cars (high performance turbo charged thingys) and the 4wd under normal driving conditions.

Light truck would be my choice.
AnswerID: 532900

Reply By: Nutta - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 20:30

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 20:30
I've clocked up 40 odd thousand kays bridgestone D697's on my colorado and really can't fault them, id say they are still at 70% tread and look to have another 40 in them with out a problem, i look forward to seeing how far they can safely go. cheers.
AnswerID: 532923

Sponsored Links