Coment on a MR Funnel

Submitted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 12:35
ThreadID: 107871 Views:2849 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
In my wisdom I decided to try my Mr Funnel at the servo before heading out on our trip to the desert.
After stopping the hand pump at the bowser I waited for fuel to go out and waited and waited to discover that about 4mm does not drain out oop's what am I going to do with the 4mm in the bottom shaking got about 2mm out.
By this time the shop attendant come out to check what I was doing after a bit of explaining and dumping the last 1-2mm in the garden stones I was on my way.
The long and the short of it is don't us the funnel at the servo .
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 12:42

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 12:42
Will you have the same problem when decantering fuel from a 'jerrycan'
AnswerID: 532888

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 13:25

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 13:25
Reggy, the 15mm 'sump' at the bottom of the funnel is to catch all those nasties and particulates. Much rather be throwing out the 30mls of diesel and rubbish than having it in the tank. It's great for catching water, rust particles from jerrycans, bits of plastic or rubber from plastic cans, dirt and any other little bits and pieces that can find their way into stored fuel.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 816180

Follow Up By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 17:22

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 17:22
Mick Hi,
Using the Mr funnel at the servo, does it slow the filling process down much? A couple of the servo's I use have limited bowsers.
Thanks Mike.
FollowupID: 816198

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 10:57

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 10:57
Mike,

My mate Jaydub had the double outlet funnel and we have found that quite slow. I have the single outlet model and have found that good providing you get the fuel 'swirling'. Once the vortex effect takes hold, it will pull the fuel through very quickly. This was not possible with the larger double outlet models.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 816252

Reply By: bluefella - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 18:08

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 18:08
Carry it in a bucket with a sealed lid, it holds the dregs and stops the smell. Empty it when you find somewhere suitable like servo with a workshop open.
AnswerID: 532909

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 19:00

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 19:00
What size funnel you using?

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 532913

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 19:12

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 19:12
Hi, I have a dual Mr Funnel and used it for the first time at a servo at Binnu WA.despite the claims the funnel only drains even reasonably quickly if filled. Right up with diesel and goes slower and slower as the level goes down.
I decided to check only the first 10 liters as it was so slow, and even then the servo lady asked me what was wrong
I reckon at a busy servo like Overland,you would be lynched if you tried to check the entire flow.
So I now just make sure to fill at high volume servos and maybe check the first 10 liters into the tank and then fill the jerries.
My TD5 is not as sensitive as common rail
One thing you cannot control is that unknown to all the blokes filling at Overland , there out the back out of sight was the bulk tanker merrily filling the tank. I am sure some of the common railers would have had a fit if they knew.
Regards Philip A
PS I heard that 4 cars got a gutful in the last couple of weeks after all the rain in the Kimberley. It was at one servo AFAIR at Karratha or Roeburn.
AnswerID: 532914

Sponsored Links