How much $ is to much

Submitted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 20:02
ThreadID: 107879 Views:2654 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Good day All.
Now back at work, after spending 8 weeks heading to Perth, via Eyre peninsula, and back via the SW of WA. From Canberra (Queanbeyan)..
What a fantastic trip, I will try and get around to writing up a blog, when I can.
I just thought I would put some stats up to see what opinions come back at me.
We traveled 10360km
Averaged 13.6L per 100km
Spent $2326.64 on diesel
All up spent about $8500 including fuel
24 nights at various caravan parks powered sites
Rest of the time was unpowered camping, except 4 nights in Perth at families.
So so many beautiful places, just can't describe how many places just took our breath away, as we turned a corner or came over a rise. Unbelievable.
We towed our cub regal off road camper all the way (maybe places we shouldn't have)
With no trouble (only got stuck once... Ahh max tracks.. Phew!)
We did live and eat pretty well, after all we hadn't been on a decent holiday since we have been together and now empty nesters. So we could have done it a lot cheaper if we tried... But hey! Can't spend it when your dead eh!
Just thought if anyone is reading this, who was wondering what it really costs to get out there, here ya go...
Can't wait for the next trip. Cheers Odog
Ps we drove a 150 manual prado.
Pss a big explore oz G'day to Sue and Shaun, hope yr travelling safe, and are both having a ball.. Owen n Sue
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Odog - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 20:09

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 20:09
Be interested to here what others have spent on a weekly average cost on doing trips.. Cheers
Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 532921

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 20:44

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 20:44
It used to be said that an average of $100 per day was pretty close to the mark.

Maybe now it is $150 per day, based on your figures.

10 Years ago we averaged $110 per day over 13 months. That was all our spending for everything. Apart from food, drink, fuel, (and fags) there was also plenty of sightseeing including a helicopter flight in that.

Paul
FollowupID: 816218

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 21:05

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 21:05
Odog
Did a similar trip last year, Melb,Alice Springs, GCR ,Perth, round the bottom of WA,Melb. Just over 11,000 km fuel cost $2000 with average of $100 a day for all other expences.
If touring every day your figures are similar to mine being about $1000 to $1100 a week which is a cheapish holiday for the distance you traveled, places youv'e been, and things youv'e seen.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532925

Reply By: SDG - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 23:38

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 23:38
Yep, fuel sounds about right on the 12000K trip I did last year. Left home with ten grand. Came home with about eight. Except for the fuel, I used my fortnightly payments, which would have been around six grand for eight weeks. Me and two kids.
AnswerID: 532930

Reply By: Member - Sanantone - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 07:07

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 07:07
Hi Owen & Sue,

Sounds like a great trip, you have given me some great info as well.

I am planning a "round the country" trip, next year over 8 months & have allowed about $1000 per week for everything. My fuel estimate is roughly what you used, so it is good to know I got that bit right:)

It will be an expensive trip, new car, new van & trip isn't cheap, but I am with you, we don't live forever & I'm sure the kids will enjoy the fact that we are spending there inheritance.

Errol Flynn is quoted as saying, that "if you die with more than $10,000 in your account, then you have wasted your time".

Enjoy your travels.
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532933

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 11:04

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 11:04
Good summary. I am based in Canberra also.

I also have a Prado (2008 120 diesel pulling a 2007 Cub Regal Off-road) I have developed a spreadsheet which calculates distances, fuel usage, costs based upon 14lts/100 kms @ average of $1.75 per litre; key in actual cost of camp sites and allow $50 per day (exclusive of food) for additional expenses - wife covers costs of food.

Just completed the planning for a 28 day trip to western vic; southern SA; Adelaide; Flinders Ranges and home via Broken Hill, Cobar etc. Allowing for 10% additional mileage for sight seeing total distance comes to 5000 and total cost $4000.
AnswerID: 532940

Follow Up By: Member - Terry W4 - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 11:07

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 11:07
Should have added that includes cost of a service (in Adelaide) and dog in kennels Port Augusta for 5 nights as we can't take him into the FR NP.
FollowupID: 816254

Reply By: Honky - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 14:02

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 14:02
It would be interesting to deduct normal everyday expenses that you would have at home i.e. food, electricity etc and just use the "extra" costs.

Honky
AnswerID: 532954

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 14:35

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 14:35
I just summed up the fuel and vehicle running costs plus a pre and post 10K service and check for our upcoming CSR transit. It came to $4,500. And that's an estimate.Canberra to Billiluna, then the CSR and home via sons place in Adelaide. A total of just under 9000 Kms. And because we have limited time available we will be using cabins and motels on the way to Alice and from Wiluna home. They are not included nor are any food etc costs on the way.

It isn't a cheap "hobby" is it. It would be cheaper to go to Bali and stay in a 6 star hotel. But what a boring time that would be. I wouldn't go OS anyway. No interest overseas.

Phil
AnswerID: 532956

Reply By: Member - Odog - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 16:05

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 16:05
Thanks everyone
Some great points in all of the replys, don't matter if your here or there... Still gotta eat...
But even the power bill here at home should be a small one.. Thinking that alone would be $300 at least back in our pocket
Food I guess would be $300 a week.
On the trip would have spent (without going through the ledger) maybe $500 on alcohol.
Even the good old fridge magnets and stubbie holders add up..
I did get the oil changed in the prado at big rock toyota in Perth (think it was called big rock) which was a $170.. The dint they put in the guard was free of course.. #¥€%@$!
Met so many people, and learnt so much... But like they say, time flies when yr havin fun.. Went way to quick..
We did cheat on the way home.. Took a bit of a detour and ended up in Clare, saw a country comfort motel, asked for a spa suite... Reply was " need a wash, do ya "
Next day we got to Hay, bit of rain, and dark, thought it would be nice to get home with a dry camper, so motel again.
All of these extrat expenses were in our total... Blew the budget on last to days.. Ha..
Anyway.. Thanks heaps for feed back. Cheers Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 532960

Sponsored Links