Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne NSW - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 21:06

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 21:06
Hi Phil,

Unless it is very heavy rain close to the time that you are leaving from home, it should not be a problem.
In the time that I have been on the CSR I have only had a few wet days and only had to spend a day on the edge of Lake Tobin before the track across it was dry enough to drive on.

Wayne
AnswerID: 532926

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 21:47

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 21:47
Thanks Wayne

I have heard that it dries out quickly. But just keeping and eye on it.

One of the blokes with us was doing a south to north tag along and they got to Lake Tobin and turned back. He went east to Alice. He is doing the bit he missed with us. The rest will go all the way south.

Thanks for the reassurance mate

Phil
FollowupID: 816222

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 21:16

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 21:16
Phil, what have you been eating? You have have got much younger all of a sudden. You might have to go back to w++k. lol
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532927

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 21:50

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 21:50
Yep. Good Army tucker. And plenty of exercise.

Have you seen the weather patterns for the lower CSR. I am not worried. Just keeping an eye on it.

Phil
FollowupID: 816223

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 07:10

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 07:10
Phil, use the below Bureau web site to search for rainfall records.
It contains all basic climate data for every recording site across Australia

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/data/

If you look at the option called position you can enter long/latt co ordinates and select weather stations within a specified radius (which you nominate) of those co ordinates. It includes data from pastoral stations (at least those who supply it to the Bureau)

Mark
AnswerID: 532934

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 08:24

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 08:24
Thanks Mark.

Not a lot of information from that site because no one lives out there apart from some indigineous communities. I entered the coordinates for Kunawaratji and it found a few stations around 500 Kms at Willuna, Billiluna and Parnngurr. And unfortunately nothing in between or local even to Kinawaratji. A good start though.

I was hoping for local information more in keeping with a CSR transit. Maybe from someone who has done that drive this year already.

I would expect it to dry up by the time we get there anyway. Just keeping an eye on it.

Thanks mate. The page is now in my favourite links.

Phil
FollowupID: 816243

Reply By: firm351 - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 11:38

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 11:38
G'day Phil,

I work on a mine site 50km northeast of Wiluna, in the last three weeks we have only had a couple of days rain probably 20-30mm all up but it drys up pretty bloody quick once the rain stops.

In January Wiluna had its wettest January ever with just over 200mm most of which fell in a 2 day period, all the roads were closed for a few days but even then it was mostly dry again after a week or so.

Flying into work for the couple of months after that rain you would of though you were flying over the south west in winter time, it was that green it was all most unbelievable.

I would imagine the spinifex will have grown well out that way i know it has around here.

Have a good trip, Paul.
AnswerID: 532946

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 15:00

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 15:00
Like I was just saying to Greg above, it's Gods own country. Love it.

My wife's ex boss went up the Canning in the 90's and had a rough time of it. Not sure what time of year or dates but there is a caption under one of his photos that says; "A good day today - Almost 18 Kms!".

My point is that we are not really worried. Just keeping a "weather" ear/eye out. There aren't many official sites that cover the actual rain on the CSR so we are just listening in to those who go that way.

Much appreciated. Okay about the Spinifex as well. And we will have a camera for the "roses".

Catchya

Phil
FollowupID: 816275

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 14:26

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 14:26
Hello Phil

Cant help with any recent info...was up around Savory Creek ->Well 22 about one month ago..a few thunderstorms, very spectacular. Anyway, don't think you will have any problems unless something massive comes through between now and then (unlikely)

I have attached a few pics as teasers for your upcoming trip.

Have fun.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 532955

Sponsored Links