Comment: Normanton to Coen via Kowanyama

Has anyone travelled this trek in recent times? The area sounds inviting and as I want to end up at Karumba an alternative to the long way round. Also any info on the Dixie Track?
Hugh Dorey

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: brendan l4 - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 11:25

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 11:25
Best bet is ring the kowanyama police staion and ask and/or the normanton police staion. They will tell you. Kowanyama had record amounts of rain this year so seek local advice.
AnswerID: 532942

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh D (WA) - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 13:32

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 13:32
Thanks for the info. Yes I have the details on the shires and the last mobile coverage area is Coen traveling south. I will be calling ahead as the sat phone is for emergencies.
Using HEMA maps they show the phone numbers for the shires, saves some leg work.
Hugh Dorey

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 816270

Reply By: Rob K (VIC) - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 21:47

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 21:47
Hi Hugh, did the Dixie Track across to Karumba last year (September) from Musgrave Station with a camper trailer. Got through without issue but the countryside was very dry. Coming from Musgrave Station the Dixie track is well maintained but once you get past the Station it is not as well maintained. Encountered stretches of bull dust and there were obvious signs that the track in the wet would be impassable. Lots of dry creek crossings as well. The crossing at the Mitchell River is a feature of the track as you approach Dunbar. When we crossed the water was only 300-400mm deep over the causeway and some of the protection had subsided. Here's a picture of the causeway...
You might want to check the condition of the Mitchell River crossing before heading out that way; if closed you'll probably have to go the long way around.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Rob K
AnswerID: 532981

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh D (WA) - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 09:18

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 09:18
Good advise Rob, thanks. It will definitely be a call ahead as I will be alone and it will be just after the wet.
Hugh Dorey

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 816320

Sponsored Links