Perth - Esperence - Margaret River - Perth

Hi guys
Been an avid reader of the forum for a while and have enjoyed & gained a lot of valuable information.
1st post so here goes.
Anyway Myself & family (Wife & 11yr boy, 9 yr boy & 6yr girl) are planning to travel from Perth to Esperance & then around to Margret River & then back to Perth (We have done down to Margrets many times before)
We have 3 - 4 weeks to see as much as we can.
We have friends in Esperance where we will stay a few days and then head of around the coast.
We have a Prado & are towing a Jayco swan, with a couple of kayaks.
Information we're after is places to stay along the way & if it is best to place yourself at a couple of different places and do day trips. (Pack up and go every 5 or so days) or have 1 - 2 day stays everywhere along the way.
We love 4wding & fishing (all kinds)
What are best camping spots & places to see.
We are planning to travel at the start of January.
All info greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 15:59

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 15:59
Hi Jason, both campgrounds and caravan parks along the south coast will be filled to capacity in January. You cannot book the campgrounds.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 532959

Follow Up By: doublej - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 16:01

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 16:01
Thanks for the reply.
I thought that.
That's why I was trying to get the heads up early in case we have to book.
Cheers
FollowupID: 816278

Follow Up By: disco driver - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 18:51

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 18:51
Hi Jason,
If you are having difficulties in getting campsites/van parks along the coast, you could try the inland towns around 30/50km from the coast and do day trips to the coast.
The other alternative is to spend plenty of time NOW in planning ahead and book your sites/accommodation ASAP. That way you might be able to get coastal sites.

Good luck with your planning.

Disco.
FollowupID: 816284

Follow Up By: nickb - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 01:38

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 01:38
We spent 3 weeks in Esperance this year. After a few phone calls pretty much everything was fully booked until ~10th which is the day we decided to head down. The caravan parks were 1/2 to 3/4 full and no bookings were required. We only stayed for a night then headed out to Cape Arid which is absolutely beautiful. Pretty much stayed there the whole time! Excellent beach driving available.

People reckon Munglinup Beach was good but we didn't enjoy it, something about the vibe of the place.

We likes Stokes Inlet, good spot for fishing and kayaking.
FollowupID: 816306

Reply By: Member - Odog - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 16:28

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 16:28
G'day doublej
We just came back from that area, and agree with mother hen.
I have been there at that time of year, and know that it's the same, no matter which side of the country..
As to setting up, and doing day trips, we did a bit of both... Way better to set up for a few days or more, and do day trips... Feel free to go where ever without the trailer, easier to get a park in town, or take that little side track to see where it ends.
In the end it's less time and work... Which in turn means more fun time.. Think about it!
Best if you can book somewhere that is central, so can explore an hour or so this way.. And an hour or so that way... Be based in the middle of what you want to visit. Happy planning, it's truly a spectacular part of the country.. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 532961

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 17:50

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 17:50
Doublej always the same around a school holiday or main break best bet is to start further out and slowly work your way back to the more populous places, get a Camp seven book invaluable piece of kit cannot recommend it highly enough. Book any caravan parks in advance and work it out from there.
AnswerID: 532964

Follow Up By: doublej - Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 13:33

Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 13:33
Camp seven book.
Is that the best book for the south west of WA.
Is there any other books that should be considered.
Cheers
FollowupID: 816446

Follow Up By: Member - KBAD - Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 13:45

Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 13:45
Best book for the whole of Australia, is broken down into States have found it to be accurate and relevant. There will be occasionally places that you will find that is not mentioned but they are usually the out of way ones. There are a few local publications that are worth reading like Fishing the Wild West, and the explorer ones like 4wd trips in the SW (not the title something like) and the Holland Track. Always a good bet to go to the local tourist info and grab what mud maps they have.
FollowupID: 816448

Sponsored Links