Not only your tyres .......

Submitted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 19:59
ThreadID: 107898 Views:2383 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
There is a link to important video for those who didn't know ......

Are your tyres danger to you?

But if I may continue from a tyres, to boots and shoes ..... from personal experience.
I can warn, about a same thing happening to safety boots and shoes, which are so wonderfully suitable to were in bush. I chuck two pairs, only about one and half years old (Au $120,~ & $135,~).
When I was buying replacement boots I discovered that “the tyres secret” I new about for a long, long time, is applicable also for most of boots and shoes.
Cheers Dana

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 21:10

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 21:10
sorry - Tracey Grimshaw - my eyes glazed over straight away....
AnswerID: 532977

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 05:56

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 05:56
Raspberry jam past it's use by date can be dangerous too. A story on that would be very interesting.
FollowupID: 816370

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 05:21

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 05:21
I have had the same problem with boots falling apart. It appears the only ones to last indefinitely, with some care, are leather soled boots. Sad that they are not entirely suitable for some conditions but they do last. One may have to get them 'retreaded' with a non slip sole to gain traction and longevity.
I saw the tyre item on ACA and it is a good warning to all, contrary to some thinking loopey thoughts about Tracy Grimshaw.
Over time, I am sure others have seen it too, where tyres just give out as they age. Last year, I had 2 that were on the Kimberley decide they had had enough. They were both going into their 6th year. They had been over some rough stuff with pressures varied to suit the current road condition but looked after nonetheless. They had done nearly 90,000 kms so I was not unhappy but pleased they retired in well populated areas and on good roads.
Easy to check the age of the tyres on the side of each one.
AnswerID: 532989

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 08:16

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 08:16
Heat also accelerates age, a tyre rep from one of the big manufacturers told me that they aim to roll their stock over within 3 months from manufacture date and in Saudi Arabia they store their stock in an air conditioned warehouse
Part of the conversation related to being careful buying from grey import tyre sellers as they may be old stock rejected from country of origin or not stored appropriately
AnswerID: 532995

Follow Up By: abqaiq - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 14:39

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 14:39
Tire storage in Saudi Arabia-- Living and working in Saudi for 34 years [Dammam/Dhahran/Riyadh/Jeddah and the deserts] I have never seen an air conditioned tire warehouse! Either I don't get around much or they are very carefully hidden. Even the government "secret" facilities are accessible by taxi! I have got to go looking!
Abqaiq
FollowupID: 816342

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 18:20

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 18:20
I have never been there myself, just repeating what I was told by the tyre rep earlier this year
FollowupID: 816361

Reply By: mack c - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 18:19

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 18:19
I've always changed my tyres (Caravan\Boat trailers ) at the 6 yr mark. I thought it was illegal now to go longer.
They WILL let go on you shortly after. specially on corrugations and potholes up North. Guaranteed.

Cars never last that long. Average around 3 or 4 yrs.

With your boots. From day one in the early '60's after coming out of the English Army.
Always worked on construction sites high top boots for support and snakes.
The day you buy them. 2 ltr tin of Neatsfoot oil from saddlers.
Tie laces. FILL the boots preferably in a warm place.
Leave 'em till it soaks through to outside of both boots. Drain and leave Overnight packed with paper or old towel.

They WILL last you forever. Never go stiff. and comfortable as. Pretty waterproof too.
just pour Neatsfoot back into tin and back of garage till next pr or mates.
And a decent pr with the Military rubber type "cleated" sole are as good as the slippy leather ones. More comfy too.
I always wore the suaded leather high top workboots. or the Tan leather Brown.
They seem to be made with softer\better quality leather.
Wore them 24\7 for about 40 yrs till I retired.
AnswerID: 534016

Sponsored Links