Compressor

Submitted: Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1079 Views:1675 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

If anyone has read the latest 4x4 compressor comparasion would you mind sending me a run down on what they thought where the better compressors.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sean - Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00
My little mate has just bought a c200kompressor and he reckons its the best thing since he had his last one he used to have a honda before that , so boring...

sean
AnswerID: 3335

Reply By: P.G. (Tas) - Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Ray. I read that article & decided on the ARB compressor (the one in the toolbox with pressure reservoir, switch and hose etc). Have not regretted the purchase and have the added benefit of being able to mount it under the bonnet at a later date if I need too, ie, for air lockers! My only complaint is price, even if I did get $50.00 off so they could close the shop! The unit performs as claimed and really, in the real world, if a compressor takes 2 minutes longer to inflate a set of tyres than another, who really cares? Just so long as it does the job and gives many years of reliable service I will be happy! Did I mention, they are all to expensive!, but what other choices do we have? Hope this helps Cheers!
AnswerID: 3343

Reply By: Allyn Cooper - Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Ray
I have a Series 1 compressor fom 4WD systems (www.4wdsystems.com.au)which was not in the 4x4 comparison. I run 275/75R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains and frequently drop them to 16 psi. My compressor has no trouble in returning tyre pressures to 25 psi and even 30 psi although this takes a little longer with such a big tyre. It cost me $349 and I would use it weekly often pumping up 2 vehicles. Mine is mounted under the bonnet of my 80 series and fits beautifully.
Several of my friends have the ARB compressor and again no arguments there from any of them. None of them have theirs mounted but it is an option and I think they prefer the carry case. I think you get what you pay for with these things but if like me you live hundreds of kilometres from the enxt town then it's a very worthwhile investment.
Hope this helps you somewhat.
AnswerID: 3344

Follow Up By: Bob - Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00

I agree with Allyn's approach of mounting it. It could be mounted anywhere, but close to the battery and alternator improves performance. Under bonnet mounting means less dust ingress than when the box is sitting in the dirt. I also use a garage style hand piece with integral pressure gauge, but the snap on (hands free) connectors are good when you are doing several lengthy inflations in the hot sun. My ARB has lasted several vehicles and still feels tight. I have used the fat tubing of an aluminium nudge bar as a resevoir for compressed air. The ARB will inflate this to about 100 psi, and is handy for quick inflations and short bursts with drills etc. I've often wondered though what would would happen in a frontal collision with an "inflated" nudge bar?
FollowupID: 1354

Reply By: Nigel - Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00
They recommended the Big Red coz it had the best lead and attachments and air filter. It had similar performance to the ARB and Blue Tongue which are both a bit cheaper (the blue tongue is also fan cooled - the big red and arb aren't). The ARB is the cheapest of the reliable ones. The Twin Tongue was quickest but too dear. The compressors under $300 had various annoyances that would rule them out for a serious 4WDer.

Personally I'd get the ARB or Blue Tongue and change the power cable and connectors if necessary and still have quite a bit of change from the price of the big red. The Blue Tongue is definately the pick if you are pumping up tyres on more than one car as it is continuously rated.
AnswerID: 3370

Follow Up By: Goran - Thursday, May 09, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 09, 2002 at 00:00
Don't forget the MAX AIR from Bushranger. It was fastest in just about everything during the test .
FollowupID: 1393

Reply By: Ray - Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 00:00
Hi,

Thanks to those that replied. I've decided on either the QA2 or the Big Red and am still getting details. I'll pass on my comments if I end up getting the QA2, the yanks rave over them so it will be interesting to see how they stack up if I can get one.

Thanks again.
AnswerID: 3402

Follow Up By: Mike - Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 00:00
Just remember, the Yanks raved about the Ford Explorer too!!!
Happy trails, Mike.
FollowupID: 1385

Sponsored Links