head phones

Submitted: Friday, May 23, 2014 at 19:35
ThreadID: 107918 Views:1809 Replies:16 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
has any body used noise cancelling headphones, need them for long flights, were they on ear or over the ears,do not want plugs,what did you buy?,saw some at jb hi 299 dollars,and online sennhauser for 199 dollars,was not impressed with them,do not get much for the dollars,any advice appreciated ,thanks barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 19:54

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 19:54
Oh yeah! Bose work brilliantly but about $300. Dave used to wear his in the EO office when Adele was talking on the phone all day to customers so he could concentrate. I wear them when I want to read and block out the background noise and interruptions. They are fantastic on planes and I'm sure you could use them in the 4WD for similar reasons and if you jag an annoying noisy campsite. The Bose ones have a button to activate the noise cancelling - they are the full over ear cuffs.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 533055

Follow Up By: Member - Lester77 - Monday, May 26, 2014 at 07:06

Monday, May 26, 2014 at 07:06
Another vote for Bose. I have a set and they work brilliantly. Go for the over ear as you say and not the in the ear type. They are very comfortable and cut out a lot of noise
FollowupID: 816504

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 19:59

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 19:59
Barry
I bought some Sony ear bud type headphones two years ago for around $90 following reading a Choice review. I bought the ear bud type as I wanted something small, they permanently reside in my work bag as Choice said their performance was only slightly inferior to Bose/Sennhauser type.
Used them on a trip to Europe and numerous times Perth- east coast.

They work and work well is all I can say.

Mark
AnswerID: 533056

Follow Up By: RodH, Sydney - Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 07:30

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 07:30
I concur that the Sony in-ear ones are great for the price. I use these when space is a problem but have the Bose over-ear ones to use whenever possible. The Bose ones are superb and not much different in price to others in that quality range.
Rod, Perth

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 816371

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 20:45

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 20:45
Good ones aren't cheap. I agree Bose are excellent..I prefer over ear as i want as much suppression/cancelling. I do FIFO so I use mine regularly and also on longer trips to Asia. At the moment mine are Sony....but would prefer Bose as they were more comfortable.
AnswerID: 533057

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 21:06

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 21:06
Barry,

Bought a pair(Uniden I think) for about $90, to use while driving a grader.

Did work, but the background noise was too great for the noise cancelling, and I didn't use them much. Ended up using ear buds, inside good quality earmuffs.

Found the noise cancelling 'phones worked well in quieter environments.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 533058

Reply By: Phil D1 - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 21:45

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 21:45
I bought Audio Technica a few years ago for $199 and they are very good quality for a reasonable price.
AnswerID: 533060

Reply By: rocco2010 - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 22:06

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 22:06
Barry

I have sennheiser PXc 250. They are the entry level but I reckon they are worth it. They dont block out all the noise and some planes are noiser than others.

If you are travelling overseas and can stand the outbound flight without them, buy when you are away. they almost certainly will be cheaper and the strong Aussie dollar helps too.

Cheers

AnswerID: 533061

Reply By: Whirlwinder - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 22:09

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 22:09
Barry,
My wife and I each have a pair of Sony MDR-NC7 noise cancelling headphones that work very well and were about $70-80 but you would hope at $300 that Bose might be as good as you can get.
Ian
AnswerID: 533062

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 22:47

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 22:47
I use in-ear Sony buds. I tried headphones on long flights but found they were pain if I turned on my side to snooze. I just put classical music on, push the buds in and it doesn't matter if I am on my side or not.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 533067

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 00:29

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 00:29
I currently have a set of Bose over-ear and they are great. I did have a set of Bose on-ear, but found they started to cause an ear-ache after ~8 hours. Both types work as well as each other, just that the on-ear type apply subtle pressure on the actual ear and after 8 hours, well it was uncomfortable. As the over-ear press on the side of the skull, it doesn't have the same problem.

The on-ear are supposedly for those who wear glasses, it allows the cup to seal while having the headphones on.

The large headphone style are great for "economy" seating as you sit up for the flight. But when using in Business class, you cannot lay on your side comfortable with the headphones on. I am looking at getting the new Bose in-ear bud type for this reason. They are relatively new, so haven't had the chance to talk with someone who has used them.

One of the best features of noise cancelling headphones is just how good the plane sound quality is for movies. Before, sometimes I found it hard to distinguish the voices from the music/background sound, but the Bose turn it into cinema quality!

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 533070

Reply By: Iza B - Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 06:35

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 06:35
You don't say what you want to use the feature for. I often use headphones to drown out external noise/disturbance or Tinnitus while getting to sleep. A bit of White Noise to any style of headphone does the job for me.

Iza
AnswerID: 533075

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 10:03

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 10:03
Barry,

I can't believe how well the Bose work. It's almost magical. The best comparison is to have the headphones on, then turn on the power switch- the aircraft and back ground noise just disappear. The silence is unbelievable.

That constant roar of the engine is one of the things that kept me awake on long flights, not with the noise cancellers though!

It also makes the sound track of movies clearly audible. No need to use the crap airline headphones again.

They weren't cheap, but I consider it was money well spent.

Make sure you have a stock of replacement AAA batteries with you.

Bob
AnswerID: 533080

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 14:13

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 14:13
I'm sure the old - "you get what you pay for" applies to noise cancelling earphones.

I bought a set of these cheaper Phillips ones below 5 years ago and they are still going strong. I actually used then on a flight today. I use them to listen to movies/music on the phone or tablet when flying.

Phillips SHN2500

They do a reasonable good job of dulling the engine noise enough to hear my music or movies on the phone or tablet. I still have to have the volume high on the device - maybe 70-80% volume.

A tip is to put an energizer lithium disposable battery in it. They last a long time and make the unit lighter.

Changing to another topic. Check this travel accessory. For those who dont like making eye contact.
Travel Thingy

AnswerID: 533087

Reply By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 15:02

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 15:02
I like alot travel overseas for work. Tried a few different types and agree Bose QuietComfort 15 are as good as you will get. Also do well cancelling out screeming kids. Also have a set of bud type for short flights, there is no comparrison. It's very important to find a style that is comfortable. I find the 15's sit around the ear and I can wear them for a 14hr flight no problems. Some of the others sit on your ear which i find very uncomfortable ..

Craig
AnswerID: 533091

Reply By: Member - johnat - Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 21:01

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 21:01
Purchased a pair in Japan a few years ago and would not travel by air without them. They cosy around $400, but wrth every bit!
With them, and a double adapter, we (+1 and I) watch a movie purchased and downloaded to our tablet so we don't have to put up with endless repeats of "Two and a Half Men" or "Big Bang Theory"!
I also use them to listen to music (or a book being read) while working the tractor in the grove.
AnswerID: 533111

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 05:48

Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 05:48
Gooday,
Another Vote for the Bose Over Ear ones, ("Quiet Comfort 15), only way to go, wasted money on other types, bought Bose on a trip to New York last year, absolutely no comparison, 'yes', expensive, but worth the money, indeed.

Have 2 pair of Sharper Image Quiet Place, Noise Cancelling Over ear, for sale, used twice, cost $150-00 each 2 years ago new, sell for
PS had a pair of Sony prior to that, gave them away.
$50-00each plus postage.
Cheers,
Boroma604.
AnswerID: 533121

Reply By: Mark R - Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 18:06

Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 18:06
Barry,

BE WARNED: do not make the mistake I made. Bought some Auto-Technica noise cancelling headphones for myself. Wife reckoned she didn't need any but became concerned that I thought mine were GREAT and therefore had to have some. During a moment of emotional vulnerability during another O/S trip I bought her a pair of Bose. They are even better and now I can only get to use the Bose by trickery or deception neither of which work very often!! While I would happily recommend the others, go the Bose; they are the best!
AnswerID: 533155

Sponsored Links