2nd battery draw

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 22:25
ThreadID: 10795 Views:1643 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings

Finally managed to fit the aux battery under the seat. Booked in for a skin graft to both hands tomorrow.

The question .... any tips on an easy current draw for the aux when it sits idle for most of the time. I've been told it's best to have something light hooked up permanently to give it a spot of work. Apparently fridges are not recommended full time and a small light doesn't appeal. Also after my hands heal I don't feel excited about trying to re-route the clock or radio.

ThanksFidei defensor

Rosco
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bob - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 22:30

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 22:30
Rosco
I know the feeling of skinned knuckles after running the 2nd batery,lights and wiring in the patrol. I ended up running the reverse lights of the 2nd battery to allow a constant recharge.

Regards

Bob A
AnswerID: 48114

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 22:40

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 22:40
I will leave the UHF on for a day or so, or pack the camping gear,fridge and go for the weekend.

A GPS will also draw a small amount.

Fitting a second battery is nothing compared to fitting a aux tank under the drivers seat. The fuel filling was easy, open door, remove seat, open cap, fill tank.

I had to fit out 6 Defenders for the Navy, and yes each one had a snorkel.

WayneAlways Out'N About
AnswerID: 48115

Reply By: Brian - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 22:56

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 22:56
Rosco I have hooked the cig lighter to the Aux Battery, which charges the mobile Phone, Runs the GPS..etc (Hated the fact that it turned on and off with the ignition) Want to hook the radio and UHF up to the aux for the same reason!
Also run the fog lights of it as well as a Jaycar Battery/Temperature monitor.
Have had no problems so far, although the system is only 5 months old!

Brian
AnswerID: 48116

Reply By: tim - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 10:35

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 10:35
Rosco
I run all my accesories off my auxillary battery,
lights,fridge,uhf,and gps and any other things that i might buy later
Tim
AnswerID: 48175

Follow Up By: Perry - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 15:06

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 15:06
My two batteries under passenger seat of Stage 1 connected via large marine switch mounted on front of seat box, so occasionally swap between batteries and everything runs from whichever is selected. Both batteries are the same and oldest is now a tad tired after 6 yrs.
When I fitted them I also modified the seat plate to allow full access to the battery box, which all but eliminates the skinned knuckle syndrome.
Also have a custom designed and built fuel tank under drivers seat which fills through the seat box side. Tend to design and build most things myself as cost of aftermarket stuff I find quite out of my league most times.
FollowupID: 310231

Sponsored Links