tent canvas or dome

Submitted: Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1080 Views:6372 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
we have a 10 x 10 centre pole canvas tent s southern cross which is great but is heavy and large. we have a space and weight factor to consider on the roof rack. how do the dome tents handle the wind and rain and the out back conditions.any info would be great.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike - Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00
Michelle, The std domes are OK but tend to blow flat a bit in high winds, especially in strong winds. This problem is largely overcome in GEODETIC domes that have the extra opposing stringers. These tents handle the outback conditions well and are still very light. Aswith all tents I would reccommend a poly tarp under the floor for added protection. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 3348

Follow Up By: Ray - Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00

Michelle I have found that shade cloth works better than poly tarp under tents. Stops the sticks and stone pushing throught the floor of the tent, allows water to runaway instead of collecting under tent. Abit extra out the front of the tent makes a good mat. Easy to pick up shake and put in witrh the tent.
From expereince would prefer to take the southern cross tent over a dome tent. In our 4WD club many of the dome tents have collapsed under strong winds often encountered in central Australia
Ray
FollowupID: 1357

Reply By: Tony Ellery - Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00

Michelle,
We use a 9 x 9 touring tent, and have the same predicament as yourself. A friend has a (cheap) dome, which flapped and lost shape very easily. However, another friend has a Coleman dome which performed quite well in adverse weather. It proves you get what you pay for, so keep shopping around! Happy travels, Tony
AnswerID: 3354

Reply By: michelle - Tuesday, May 07, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 07, 2002 at 00:00
thanks for everyones input still cant decide. i think i will keep my trusty
southern cross tent and give my hubby a back ache for lifting it off the roof rack. thanks happy camping.
AnswerID: 3395

Reply By: Dianne - Thursday, May 09, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 09, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Michelle, we have had a great out doors Taj dome tent for 2 years. It is a great tent for us as we have 2 small children, we use it every month. However If you are travelling alot or only putting it up for 1 night it still takes about 20 mins which is a bit of a pain. We have been considering purchasing a tent like yours, but haven't been able to justify the $$.The weight of our dome tent is 19kgs which would be an effort to haul up into a roof rack, so we put in the rear of the car. Another alternative is the new micro fast oz tent, however I find that they aren't tall enough for me to stand up in and I'm 5'8, unless you get the biggest one which is rather large. I still think you have the best tent for touring, May be you should organise a pulley system to help hubby put it on the roof rack. Happy camping Di
AnswerID: 3425

Follow Up By: Bill - Saturday, May 11, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 11, 2002 at 00:00
I agree with your advice Di. I wouldn't recommend the Oz Tent - very bulky to carry and they take longer than the 30 seconds they claim, if you peg them down and put in guys! I also think they seem very flimsy when compared to a good quality canvas centre pole tent. My centre pole tent takes maybe 2 mins to put up completely.
FollowupID: 1399

Sponsored Links