Real hp before & after turbo.

Submitted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 17:55
ThreadID: 108008 Views:2090 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guy's, today I had a denco turbo system fitted to my 1hz 80 series. My before rwhp was 85 and after is 115, which is an increase of 35%, not 45% as advertised.

I am running 33' tyres, which wouldn't help but that's it. It is a constant 4wd vehicle.

Wondering if anyone else has had a denco system fitted and have before & after dyno readings, and what you got?

Superior turbo's Toowoomba told me that they usually get more out of them, and they could have just lied to me about it but they were honest with me, as they didn't supply before & after dyno sheets.

Josh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bigfish - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 18:07

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 18:07
I,d be wanting the hp and torque read out papers mate. As you said....talk is cheap..
45% would also probably be the top end result with a good exhaust, young motor, good breathing etc.etc Don't forget you can get more hp by increasing the boost. This normally just increases motor wear! Mild boost is all you need. I had 33 on my after market hz turbo and the speedo was spot at 60,80 and 110 klms (against a gps).

35% is a good result if the tune is for longevity and reliability.
AnswerID: 533391

Reply By: Member - Andrew - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 18:25

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 18:25
Hi Josh

You need to compare apples with apples. In this case you may have fitted larger tyres than the original test vehicle on which they are basing their figures.
Because the chassis dyno is measuring the torque applied to the dyno roller it will give a different reading with different size tyres on the same vehicle because you are effectively changing the gearing. The horsepower is just a figure derived from rpm and torque.
Unless you keep everything the same except the engine you can't do a direct comparison except as a before and after on your vehicle.
It is also very difficult to compare one shops dyno with another as they are rarely calibrated taking into account all the correction factors such as ambient temperature, atmospheric pressure etc.
There are two true comparisons. One is an engine dyno in a test cell (therefore atmosphere and temperature controlled) the other is a side by side acceleration run against an identical vehicle with the same mods.

The other thing is, if it goes as well as you want it to then the numbers don't matter.
Hope this helps.

Regards
A
AnswerID: 533393

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 19:21

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 19:21
ironJosh
Did someone check all the valve clearances before the fitting and made sure they are correct??????
If not, because many many 80 series which have done a few km's have NEVER had their valve clearances checked, it could e a problem.

SO, if not known to be correct, then they may be off standard spec and not allowing the engine to breathe properly OR in sync with the other cylinders. All that means you will not get the the full potential out of it when standard let alone when turbo'ed.
If the valve clearances are not correct, then the turbo will hasten the demise of any valve not sealing properly as the additional heat will make sure already closed up (and nearly holding open) valves, will become hotter, grow longer while hotter and definitely hold the valves open.
Best to have them checked if not already done.
AnswerID: 533397

Follow Up By: Member - ironJosh - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 20:46

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 20:46
Yep did them 20,000k's ago. Cheers,
FollowupID: 816759

Reply By: Whirlwinder - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 20:44

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 20:44
Iron josh,
I had a turbo fitted to our 80 series 1HZ about 8 -9 years ago and never had before and after output figures done but I can assure you it was so much better in performance after without any loss of economy. In fact I would say it is a little better.
They did do the valve clearances as has been mentioned and I get the done at each 100k mark along with the timing belt.
One particular hill i climb most days was a 3rd gear job but now I get over in 4th quite easily.
Don't fret too much about figures, if it goes the way you are happy with just be glad. After all it will never be a rocketship.
Ian
AnswerID: 533403

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 20:45

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 20:45
How many k's has the motor done?

If you can get hold of a set of standard tyres, bolt them on and try again.

As Ross said get the valve clearances checked.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 533404

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 03:46

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 03:46
Josh,

Superior Turbos have always had a good name, or at least that has been my impression.

I'd be more interested in the torque produced, than the HP. You tried it up the Toowoomba range yet? That would be a good test!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 533425

Follow Up By: Member - ironJosh - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 20:54

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 20:54
its currently 60 and 40 up there with the road works.. Perhaps I should take it for a run down flagstone creek road.

It does hold the hills a lot better.
FollowupID: 816850

Reply By: gbc - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 14:48

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 14:48
Exhaust? standard?

Add an intercooler (safari do one) and your world will change for the quicker.

I'd be careful what you wish for though with a 1hz.

Cranked up fuel and an intercooler isn't what one would expect to get long legs out of.
AnswerID: 533460

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 11:33

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 11:33
Buy any new vehicle and expect the power figures to be the same as advertised is a big ask let alone on a used vehicle with a new after market kit fitted.

Remember all power rating on everything is alway advertised as the maximum and not the minimum.

You could possibly pick the extra power up if you wanted to spend some coin on tunning/repairing.
AnswerID: 533500

Sponsored Links