Comment: OziExplorer Software CD

I am a bit of a stranger to tablets. I believe OziExplorer runs on Android and with David's program it is easier to use. Can somebody that uses a Samsung Android tablet confirm that the GPS unit works anywhere. That is it is not dependant on wi-fi or some other internet connection. Or to put it differently. When you are in the bush and have no mobile reception will the tablet show you on the map where you are. The salesmen in Good Guys could not help me with that question.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 13:01

Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 13:01
Yes absolutely it does but not the ozi cd
You need ozi for android off the ozi site
AnswerID: 533597

Follow Up By: Member - Rosss - Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 14:06

Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 14:06
We have a Samsung 10.1 Tablet only about 3 months old and the GPS will not work without an internet connection, so useless as a navigator once out of town so no point putting Ozi on it.
FollowupID: 816990

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 14:11

Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 14:11
Yours must be broken or you dont know how to use it.. ...the GPS is a GPS (in Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, 10.1) no need for internet (same for any android,iOs device that has a proper GPS). It works fine anywhere. What wont work is some mapping programs e.g. google maps - as you need the internet to download the maps (maybe this is where you have become confused). OziExplorer for Android however will work fine - just load required maps, turn on gps and travel around Australia or the world - no internet required.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 816991

Follow Up By: Member - Rosss - Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 15:01

Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 15:01
We have got Co-pilot on the tablet and unless we have the internet dongle turned on with the tablet the GPS won't work.
FollowupID: 816994

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 15:09

Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 15:09
Sounds like a shortcoming of CoPilot. The GPS certainly works anywhere with other programs.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 816995

Follow Up By: Chris (Qld) - Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 15:13

Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 15:13
I also have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 plus an 8" Note and Samsung S2 and S5 phones, and can confirm that all work with Ozi Android running either Hema maps or EOTopo with no internet connection.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 816996

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 16:07

Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 16:07
This is a minefield !

Some tablets do have a proper gps built in. It looks at satellites to determine its position. A slight variation is "assisted" or "augmented" gps, which in addition uses phone towers (not internet access but the towers themselves) to speed up getting an initial rough fix while the gps proper is busy looking for satellites. The unwary buyer gets a good price on "agps" models, but isn't aware that in many there is no gps, just the ability to find a rough position using the phone towers. Works well in the shop, but not in the bush!

Our initial 10" no-name Android tablet had agps and turned out to have "a" but no "gps". Our second tablet, a Samsung Galaxytab2, does have a gps, and bluetooth and wifi. We (deliberately) bought one, same model name, without these facilities for an elderly family member.

Can't comment on the Tab3 series, but it's likely there are various versions, with different amounts of memory, different communication options, different gps options, ........ It may be difficult to find a salesperson who can tell one from another!

On a positive note - We've been pleased with the Samsung galaxy tab2 running OziExplorer. The Exploroz interface is a user-friendly addition and the EO maps are very good.

Cheers

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 816998

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 16:52

Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 16:52
Not sure if this is totally universal but if your android tablet/phone etc has a "proper" GPS is should show the GPS icon in the swipe down menu...

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817001

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 21:01

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 21:01
Hi it should also show the Use GPS Satellites selection in Location services in Settings

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 817356

Reply By: Bludge - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 10:19

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 10:19
I think the first thing to establish is exactly which Sansung Tablet you have.

Go to GMS Arena and although they show phones they also have all the details of tablets. Put in your exact model and it will tell you if you have AGPS or GPS on your device.

As said elsewhere AGPS relies on the telephone network to Augment/Assist the GPS location, it basically triangulates your position.

A true GPS works of the satelites.

I have a Sony Z Tablet wifi only and it has a true GPS, I use this for my OziExplorer and HEMA. It can take a little while (2 to 5 minutes) if not used in for a few days and I change location to find the satelites when driving, it is a lot quicker outside the car.

Good luck
AnswerID: 533649

Follow Up By: mack c - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 18:38

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 18:38
Yes.

Just remember that you NEED.... To be outside IE not under cover for GPS to work.

Whereas AGPS will work inside on corellation through the towers.
A lot forget or don't realise that fact.
FollowupID: 817081

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 13:05

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 13:05
thats not true bludge
AGPS assists your gps to get a faster fix using network but doesnt require it.
for instance if i fly accross australia my gps could take several minutes to find satilites.
AGPS in network range will instantly pick up your aproximate location which enables it to lock onto the satilites much faster

AGPS also works with some apps i think like google maps where it will replace satelite GPS when there is no gps like in shopping centres
FollowupID: 817215

Follow Up By: Bludge - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 14:00

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 14:00
Thanks Get Outmore,

My statment is true.

My comments followed what John and Val posted

"Some tablets do have a proper gps built in. It looks at satellites to determine its position. A slight variation is "assisted" or "augmented" gps, which in addition uses phone towers (not internet access but the towers themselves) to speed up getting an initial rough fix while the gps proper is busy looking for satellites. The unwary buyer gets a good price on "agps" models, but isn't aware that in many there is no gps, just the ability to find a rough position using the phone towers. Works well in the shop, but not in the bush!
"
I wrote "As said elsewhere AGPS relies on the telephone network to Augment/Assist the GPS location, it basically triangulates your position."

At no stage did I suggest that the AGPS would not pick up satelites and work as you imply.

That said GPS vs AGPS provides a clear outline f the differences, but one paragraph needs to be looked at....
" However, some cell phones carry only A-GPS technology and cannot fall back on standalone GPS functionality. The latter type may actually be less reliable than standalone GPS in certain situations.
"
FollowupID: 817222

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 19:57

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 19:57
..keep in mind if you want the "benefit" of AGPS you will need a tablet that has a sim (phone) card slot + sim card inserted.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817271

Reply By: Member - JandRM - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 12:21

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 12:21
Hi Everone

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes this seems to be a mine field. At least I know what to look for - or think I know.

I do not have a tablet yet. The question arose because I do not want to buy one that does not do what I want.

Thanks Again
Johann

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 533778

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 21:20

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 21:20
The tablet you were looking at will do what you want
FollowupID: 817358

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 21:22

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 21:22
Just finished a 2 week trip through the Kimberly
90% with no reception.
My samsung S3 recorded the entire trip faultlessly the whole way and provided the navigation via ozi
AnswerID: 533881

Sponsored Links