Max Trax, in the roof rack bag or not?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 10:29
ThreadID: 108098 Views:3691 Replies:10 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I need to order a new roof rack bag for my 4WD. I have a Pioneer Platform as the roof rack. Obviously I'm hoping never to use the Max Trax, just wondering what other's are doing to carry these?

1. Carry them on the Roof Rack and order a smaller Roof Rack Bag

2. Order a full size Roof Rack Bag and store them inside the Roof Rack Bag.

Thanks in advance

Phil P

BTW, I really like the look at the Rhino Roof Rack Bags.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 10:44

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 10:44
There is enough room under my roof rack and I cable tie them there. They are out of the road but you need good big ties.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 533707

Reply By: Geoff H (Q - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 11:02

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 11:02
I agree with Idler, I have never needed the Max Trax however, I can guarantee that if I put them in a bag that's when I would need them. Zippy ties are great, easy to put on and take off.
Regards
AnswerID: 533710

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 11:11

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 11:11
Phil

I have a set, I have carried them both in the roof rack bag and out. I don't see any real difference as far as access to get them out goes. You either unzip the bag or undo what ties you have to hold then to roof rack itself.
But if you have to use them, and they are covered in mud and slosh, when you put them in the roof rack bag everything will get wet and dirty.
The full size bag will propbably give better storage options so may be a seperate bag to store the maxtrax in, inside the roofrack bag.

Alan
AnswerID: 533712

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 11:16

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 11:16
I dont have maxtrax but the mallee trax knock offs and they come in a carry bag.After 3 simpson trips last year the bag is full of holes where the knobby bits have rubbed thru.
On future trips they will ride in the roof basket without the carry bag.
I would not recommend putting them in a good roofrack bag especially if anything went on top of them.
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 533714

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 13:57

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 13:57
Other point to consider which is not an issue in clean dry sand but if you were to use them elsewhere they will be covered in mud so you will not want to put them with your other gear in a bag..
AnswerID: 533728

Reply By: Top End Az - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 14:14

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 14:14
I use an old hessian sack. It keeps them a bit more low profile up on the roofrack, and it the maxxtrax get dirty or muddy, it doesn't matter.
AnswerID: 533729

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 15:01

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 15:01
Stored in the shed when not needed, can't see the sense of carting them around on the roof rack when not on a trip where I'd need them. Why attract the attention of the light fingered brigade.

On a trip I just tie them down at the back end of my roof rack with straps. Easy to access.

If you have a spare wheel hanging off the back of your vehicle you can always get the proper straps for hanging them off your spare, but quite an expensive option.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 533731

Reply By: Trickster LC GX - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 16:01

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 16:01
Phil P

Not an expert and already some really great advice already. Max Trax's are meant to be durable for extreme conditions - so not sure that a bag is needed.

But in saying that, issues raised are mud, sand and dirt which on your Max Trax's are not a problem but in a bag with other stuff it might be a problem. Also something to consider is if the Max Trax's are dirty and it rains that dirty water then runs into roof rack tracks (on some vehicles) etc, again which is not a huge problem, unless you can't wash the car properly for 6 months on the road.

Cable Ties are great (i love them - maybe even a little addicted to their use) but Max Trax have roof rack fitting system $26.99 on their website (called Mounting Pin Set).

For myself if I am not worried about $$$. I would go a Max Trax Bag ($119 on their website - 2 year warranty, they look quite durable) and use Cable Ties to fit and then a Smaller Roof Rack Bag.

Cheers K
AnswerID: 533735

Reply By: duck - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 19:47

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 19:47
Put them in there own bag, spray the back of them with pure & simple & the mud won't stick
AnswerID: 533792

Reply By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 02:21

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 02:21
try traxrax they are made in australia from amember on pradopoint forum good system which i use on my pioneer roof rack

M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 533813

Sponsored Links