80 Series Big Ends

Submitted: Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1081 Views:1743 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have just had an aftermarket turbo fitted to my 80 series (3.5K done since fitting at 167K) and now the big ends have gone in the motor. My question is has anyone else had this experience and if so how much did it cost to get it reparied. My understanding was that it was only the factory turbo's that suffered from this problem.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ray - Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Austin
The bearing on my 80 series 4.2lt turbo went at 97k and were replaced under warranty. As we got to the problem quickly the damage was very limited and the cost was $950.00 I have heard the cost can go as high at 13000. How much boost is it running? Suggest you also join the following group which has expertise with the 80 series http://groups.yahoo.com/group/80scool/
Ray
AnswerID: 3350

Follow Up By: Mal Blakeborough - Friday, May 10, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 10, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Austin, in response to Ray's message, I just trying to log onto http://groups.yahoo.com/group/80scool/Ray and did not have any success.
Could you please give me an updated address if you have one . I also have an 80 series factory turbo done 180000km, but had the bearings done at 140000km because everybody kept asking had i had the bearings done and it got to me so I did it. It seems that if you do regular 5000km oil changes the bearings do not seem to be a problem. As you can tell I would be interested in this site.
Thanks Mal
FollowupID: 1395

Reply By: Austin - Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks for the reply. The turbo is running 9PSI of boost. The noise started early on Friday morning and as I was in heavy traffic, I could not pull over, so I drove to a diesel workshop and shut the car down. This meant that I have only travelled approx 5K from when the noise started, so hopefully it isn't to bad and has been caught in time. I have been told that it looks like the problem is the big end, however tomorrow will reveal the true story when they have a chance to delve further into the problem. They ahve said that if the big end is gone, and its worst case sceanrio, I am looking at $2000 - $2500. I just thought that the problem was contained to the genuine factory turbos and not the normally aspirated. Thanks for the web site, will have a look.
AnswerID: 3351

Follow Up By: Ian - Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00

G,Day Austin i have an 80 series with about the same kays as yours and had a turbo fitted 5000 ks ago so far no probs , in all the research i did before hand the big end bearings seems to be an isolated batch on the factory turbo models i have'nt heard of any naturally aspirated ones having probs.Hopefully you have caught it in time and the damage will be minimal,could you please post the results back on here . thanks
and good luck,im sure once fixed you wont have any more probs ,,ian
FollowupID: 1358

Reply By: Stephen - Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00

Ray, have a look at http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/main_4x4.htm . There are several links relating to 80-series bearing problems.
AnswerID: 3355

Follow Up By: Austin - Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the advise on the webpage. There sure is lots of information there, especially on the page "What Toyota doesn't want you to know ...........". Will wait for the results of the post mortem today and if not favourable, will hit them with all this information
FollowupID: 1363

Reply By: Goran - Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00

1HZ motor however reliable and strong is not designed for turbo application. It is as simple as that. I know that thousands of them are running around with turbos without major dramas but it is questionable as how many of them are exposed to extremes. I have heard of a few cases of big ends failing on 1HZ with aftemarket turbo. That's why Toyota strenghthened the motor for a factory turbo application. Austin , has the installer checked big ends , injectors , pump , timing etc. prior to fitting ? Personally , i like to stick to toyota advice and engeneering and improve standard 1HZ by better air filter, snorkel etc.
AnswerID: 3358

Follow Up By: Austin - Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00

Goran, In answer to part of your response, no the installer has not checked big ends , injectors , pump , timing etc. prior to fitting. This would be not only impracticale for most installers, it would also mean a much bigger cost to the customer. What the installer does in my case is dyno the vehicle before fitting and then again afterwards. During the afterwards stage, theyadjust the pump to get a certain level of performance (he guarantees 30% increase above standard factory figures). In my case, the figures were slightly below factory figures before the turbo was fitted, and after fitting and adjustment, the figures were no better or worse than any other 80 series that had gone through the workshop. I have spoken to the installer today, and he tells me that when looking back through his records, that there was certainly nothing unusual about my motor when he had it on the dyno. He also informs me that he has never had an engine failure that can be directly attributed to one of his turbo installations. I did a lot of research when deciding who to use for my install, and he has been around a long time and has an excellant reputation for quality of workmanship as well as knowledge in the field of diesels and turbocharging, so I tend to believe him. Anyway we will see exactly what the problem is in a few days time and will then be able to speculate on what caused it. Thanks for the response and advice.
FollowupID: 1366

Reply By: bob - Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00

Goran

Please advise me of what you mean by better air filter to give you more power. Is this advise from toyota if so what website as i have a 1hz motor in my troopy ? not enough power for towing of road van
AnswerID: 3368

Follow Up By: Ian - Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00

Austin
i have just looked thru that site and it sounds pretty scary ,i was just wondering what noise yours has and at what revs?,,,thanks Ian
FollowupID: 1374

Reply By: Ray F - Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00

If the installation produces an extra 30 percent power that has to be 30 percent extra load on the big end bearings.So if the engine is not built for that sort of power or the bearings are already showing some wear that 30 percent will at the least shorten the life of the bearings.
AnswerID: 3380

Sponsored Links