Thinking of you at work today Equinox

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 14:45
ThreadID: 108106 Views:2216 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Al

You should have been at my work today. One of our customers that I have known for a very long time dropped in to see me.

We started taking and he asked me when I was heading Bush again.

During the conversation, we started talking about his past life on stations up north and over in the West. He started taking about the stations he had worked on over your way and mentioned a few names. One name caught my attention and I said that was in the area of the Nippon Highway........

It turns out he was the one that put it in during the early 1970's , working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for Station Wages.....$140 per week. I could not believe what I was hearing.

Gwen his wife followed up with the cook truck and did the job for love, just to be out there with Ivan. I asked Ivan how it got its name, and said it was after the Japanese that were funding the mining work out there. Hell it was a very interesting chat, so if you ever need to get in contact with Ivan or Gwen to hear first hand how they built the track, I can give you their contact delails.

Take care.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 14:52

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 14:52
Hi Stephen thanks for that snippet of history. Maybe you or Al should do a blog about it or even Doug for his Sunday history lesson?

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 533730

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 16:04

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 16:04
I have a trip planned from Melbourne of which part was to use the PNC Baseline road to Laverton. I think I will now detour along the Nippon Highway just for the hell of it. I would like to have Ivan and Gwen's contact details if you do not think they would mind me contacting them. Just PM me if you can. Should be able to impress my fellow travellers with first hand knowledge.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817144

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 20:41

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 20:41
Hi Gentlemen

I can assure you that I will be finding out a lot more details from Ivan when he drops into see me next.

I was just so interesting to hear about the work that they did out there, and how they shot lines were put in and some of the fun that they had out there.

Also Chris, I have sent you an MM with Ivans details.

If you do get out there, a blog would be great.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817163

Reply By: equinox - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 19:11

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 19:11
Gday Stephen,

How interesting how someone who you have known for a long time has such good information.

Thanks for the info, I have never known about that roads origins. Ironically it was mining that put it in, and will probably be mining that renders it obsolete.

I don't think I will be in that area this year, but it will be great if you can message me with their details for future reference.

I only recently found out that the Cable Haul Road had nothing to do with hauling cables (thanks Phil).

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 533756

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 20:47

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 20:47
Hi Al

You should have the MM by now with Ivan's details. Ivan also mentioned the Cable Haul Road as well, and some of the fun that they had out there.

Ivan and Gwen are a great couple and to think that all the time that I have known them, I was not aware they he put the road in. It shows just how true love is, to think that Gwen was part of the team and never got one cent in ways for being out there with Ivan.

I asked Gwen that question today about why did you go out there with Ivan, and not receive any pay, to which she replied....."I just loved it out there"

It just goes to show you just how small a world we live in.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817165

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 21:27

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 21:27
Ok you've piqued my interest now seeing how in a little over 4 wks time we'll be travelling on the Cable Haul Rd. Cough up what's the story?

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817168

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 21:29

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 21:29
Gee Phil's a much better story teller than I.

Phil??

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817169

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 00:10

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 00:10
Cable Haul Rd
The Cable bros were sandal wood cutting out there way back and developed a series of tracks. This one was named after them Cable Haul Rd. Sorry I don't have any dates other than around the 1940s.

Not so glamorous now you know isn't it.
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817182

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 10:06

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 10:06
Great story Stephen,
thinking back $140/week were good wages in those days. How times change.
AnswerID: 533772

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 10:55

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 10:55
My thoughts too, Noldi. In early '70's, I was head stockman on a station in the Kimberly. About $50/wk, and found, was the go then. Ringers got a bit less, and grader drivers quite a bit more......no overtime.

But we did it because we loved the lifestyle.

That's where the saying "The more you eat, the better you're paid" came from.

Times change all right, these days I like my $400+ per day! or did! I'm retired again:-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817198

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 11:39

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 11:39
Good onya Bob, I find thinking back makes you realise what a great life its been and how quick the years have past. Hopefully a few more in us yet.
FollowupID: 817206

Follow Up By: Member - P and JM - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 20:07

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 20:07
Hi Bob,

I remember back prior to 14th February, 1966. I was a station hand near Yunta in S. Aust. getting 24 pounds 12 shillings a month and found. On pay day the Boss gave us our cheques, off to town we go to pay bills and have a few ales at the local. On way in I noticed my cheque was $50-04, I thought I was over paid, and of course said nothing.

On arrival at Yunta I went to the road house to pay my bill off, guess what ? to my disappointment I walked out broke and still had a small bill to pay. No ales for me, and another month to wait to see some of the new money.

Would love to see some of the rich and overpaid getting that now.

Cheers P&J
FollowupID: 817273

Sponsored Links