Coilovers

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 18:06
ThreadID: 108123 Views:1380 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if it's legal to replace torsion bars with coilovers?

1997 Ford Explorer ifit's relevant.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 18:42

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 18:42
A "Coil OVER" shock system has a physical mounting to take the weight stress of the vehicle and is vastly different to an upper, shock only mount system, where the vehicles weight on the suspension is taken by a Torsion bar.

A big re-engineering of the front end. An Engineers start to finish approval amd cetificatio would be also required.
Cheaper to sell the ford and but something else.
AnswerID: 533788

Follow Up By: Jeff-QLD - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 22:59

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 22:59
I've seen the job done many times on American cars, it's not that complicated because the Explorer has a full chassis.

The top and bottom shock mounts need to be strengthened which involves welding to the chassis which involves an engineers certificate.

You're right, it would cost more than the car did.
FollowupID: 817295

Reply By: Bludge - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 23:15

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 23:15
What Ross said, engineers certificate and possibly a full stability, swerve and brake test.

If someone in the US makes an engineered kit it may be easier as parts would be pre engneered.

But its a Ford Explorer the kit will be worth more than the car. ... lol
AnswerID: 533805

Follow Up By: Jeff-QLD - Thursday, Jun 26, 2014 at 18:51

Thursday, Jun 26, 2014 at 18:51
What I could do if I decided to go on with it is to install the coilovers then back the torsion bars right off so that they're still there but not doing much if anything.

That negates one of the benefits of the coilover which is chopping off the torsion bar mount which gives better ground clearance.

One of the advantages of the coilover system is improved ride and control but it's never been made clear how much of that is attributed to simply fitting new and improved shocks.

One thing I've noticed is that the torsion bar doesn't pivot at the fulcrum of the lower control arm. The bar bends a bit as well as twisting.
I don't know what the overall effect of that would be.
Maybe the spring rate tightens up as you approach full extension.
FollowupID: 818887

Sponsored Links