Cape Melville Access + Bathurst Bay Access? (CREB - open/closed?)

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 07:49
ThreadID: 108167 Views:2381 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all....

We're quickly coming to the time where we set off to the Cape this year. Upon looking at a few websites, they indicate that Access to the Cape Melville is Closed until mid Aug but u can access Bathurst Bay.... My concern is that websites tend lag behind in their accuracy, does anyone know whether access to Cape Melville area will open in early July at all?

Our planned route was head out to Chillagoe then up to Palmerville then into Maytown, up to Laura and then up to Kalpower Xing and access Cape Melville via this direction..... Anyone with some up-to-date info?

BTW..... I assume the CREB Track is closed still and for quite some time ???

Rob
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hoyks - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 09:46

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 09:46
The only way to know for sure is to give them a call;
CREB TRACK - For information refer to Douglas Shire Council on 07 40999444.

It looks like you are covering the same ground to Lakefield that we are. We will be there 5th/6th July, then heading to the tip.

I did book some sites in Oyala Thumotang National Park and a few days later was advised by email that the park was closed due to damage in the wet and they would be re-assessing it in early July. It was a bit close to when I would be arriving to have uncertainty, so I made other arrangements. About that time the vacant sites went to closed on the booking website, so it does show that the national parks sites are updated when they have information to hand.

For other road conditions check with the Council Here, although they are a bit slow to update. Or the NP website HERE.
AnswerID: 533987

Reply By: Bludge - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 18:28

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 18:28
Still raining up this way and the CREB is "advised" as closedyou need to check when closer to the time as it changes constantly

Check with Douglas Shire (web page here)

"CREB Track Closed

The CREB track is closed effective 25 November 2013 until further notice due to wet weather. The track is only suitable for well-equipped 4WD vehicles and those with vehicle recovery experience. It is not suitable for trailers. Track access is weather dependent. Check local... "

Chillagoe to Palmerville was locked in May , unsure now 2 issues, land owner gonne mental and the Palmer River was running high, check with local Parks for access. 07 4094 7193 (Chillagoe QPWS)

Kalpowar to Melville I have not heard much locally, most local fishermen shot up to Weipa for the competitionthis weekend. You will need to check with Park in that area 07 4069 5777 (Cooktown QNPWS).

Good luck....
AnswerID: 534018

Sponsored Links