Boat size

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:51
ThreadID: 108209 Views:2841 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just thinking. Would a 3.5 metre boat (car topper be suitable for fishing the Cape or Kurumba areas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:01

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:01
Probably but maybe check out the news article about the bloke who tragically got taken out of a boat in the Darwin area. I would imagine the over grown lizards get to about the same size in the gulf or cape areas.
Personally I would be very nervous putting my 3.5 tinnie in that area.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 534170

Reply By: John and Regina M - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:14

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:14
No. Too small. Probably no free board. No power to run when u have to.
AnswerID: 534172

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:43

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:43
its not just the length..there are other factors.

4 of my northern relatives where running the same fairly old model of 12 foot shallow V tinny....that many car top.

My my sisters husband persists with his and a 4hp motor, but he just fishes arround T'ville.....he is a big boy and I have been in it with him and I was not impressed by the amount of freeboard or the available speed....but neither are a problem to him where he fishes.

My nieces husband used to have the same boat with a 15 Hp motor....maxed out for legal capacity...I've been in it in the brisbane river and we where both much smaller people than the above......the free board was more acceptable and it got along pretty damn well...pretty fast when it got up on its hind legs with under 200Kg in it.

They retured to darwin with work and commented when the tide was running hard he needed every bit of the 15 Hp to run against it and have manovering speed......with a 3 year old and two adults in the boat, they got a bit concerned about the size and the freeboard..considering the run of tide and crocks and have ugraded.

My brother who says he is not particularly concerned about crocks..he fishes mostly arround t'ville but travels to the gulf most years..he is wiry and under 70Kg........has recently upgraded to a similar length boat with higher sides and a wider beam....he runs a 15Hp
I've been in this boat and let me tell you its more comfortable and stable than the older boats.

Now all of these boats are running in "sheltered waters"......outside of that I would not be in anything under 14 foot.

Then the same sorts of issues come into play.
what else to consider besides length
how much power is needed
where you wnat to go
what / who you want to carry

I have two boats...while one is technically a 16 fotter, both have 14 foot hulls...anything over 1 meter of sea and the smaller boat carrying a 30Hp is a bit of a worry...the larger, heavier wider and higher, running a 60Hp is far more comfortable and stable...not to mention faster.

there is more to it than length.

cheers
AnswerID: 534176

Reply By: Emerging I.T. - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:00

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:00
I think 4 metres and high freeboard would be the minimum. Some tinnies have high floors which has the effect of reducing the effective freeboard and reducing protection. I note the fisheries boat that went out to look for the 62 year old who was pulled from his boat, it had cages at the front and the back of the boat. Low centre of buoyancy is also important as this adds to stability. A 4.5 metre croc weighs in at around 520KG give or take, so he has the ability to upset or roll a small tinnie. You may also want to seek the advise of the local ranger in your area if this is possible?
AnswerID: 534177

Reply By: Emerging I.T. - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:07

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:07
Check our thread 98586 there is a lot of chat about this and plenty of recommendations.

Safe Tinnie
AnswerID: 534178

Reply By: Mikee5 - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 18:41

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 18:41
I was at Karumba last year and had a good look at all the boats being used there both in the river and a bit out into the gulf. I then bought a Quintrex Explorer 370 and 15HP Yamaha 2 stroke as this seems to be the favoured combo for both rooftop transport and use. Other popular boats were the Bluefin 3.7 and Stessl Edgetracker 3.7. If cartopping check manufacturers weight limit for the roof and remember that is for bitumen roads. 2 stroke motors are not as fussy about being laid down as 4 strokes as well as being lighter.
AnswerID: 534197

Reply By: Member - Jim53 - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 20:34

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 20:34
Hi Guys,
Boy oh boy was I surprised by the reponse from the Exploreoz followers. The reason I posted the question is I have said boat (3.5) and it goes great. I have just purchased a camper trailer and as a newly retired person intend to spend more time "up north". I go every year to either Kurumba, King Ash Bay or somewhere on the North East coast of Qld. Heading to Boyne Island Saturday. (live in Woy Woy). I use the 3.5 for rivers and have a 5 mtr as seen above in Sarina - pushing it off a bar - for most trips. As I can't take them both I thought I would ask. Suppose when it all boils down I will probably take the little on but leave my 3030 out of the cover, just in case.
Thanks againg for the replies and I now will remain a member and be more active on the site. Anyone at 1770 or Boyne Island in the next week or so and have some fishing advice. Have the 5 mtr this trip and staying in a unit for first week then either Awonga or 1770.
Advice please.
Cheers to you all,
jim53
AnswerID: 534209

Follow Up By: Peter C2 - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 22:56

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 22:56
to increase the size and particularly the stability of your tinny you could consider airofloats or similar. these inflatable tubes slide into sail tracks fitted to your hull and make a huge difference [both my wife and I can stand on side of our tinny to land a fish without the "tenderness" that you would normally get]. As an added advantage if you forgot the bungs then you will not swamp the boat [spoken from experience]. our tinny is 3.8mtrs pushed by 18hp tohatsu and we have found our tinny with airofloats at least as stable as our 5mtr haines and have no hesitation in travelling long distances in reasonable weather.
FollowupID: 817807

Follow Up By: Emerging I.T. - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 11:04

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 11:04
Great idea Peter, I have seen these occasionally, but have no experience personally.
FollowupID: 817826

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 18:52

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 18:52
G'day Jim,

Mine's a 3.75 Edge tracker lite powered by a 15 hp Evinrude. It has been perfect for our needs and has taken us to Cape York (Cape Melville), NT river and gulf, and the Kimberley (Kallumburu) as well as lake fishing in Qld. Decided not to launch at Karumba when we were there as there was just ugly water but that was just unlucky.

Kind regards

AnswerID: 534248

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 19:05

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 19:05
PS parking at Manangoora,
FollowupID: 817847

Sponsored Links