Googs Track and Gawler Ranges

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 17:43
ThreadID: 108217 Views:3027 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks

Have just completed a great trip through the Gawler Ranges and then up Googs Track from Ceduna to Tarcoola - dunes on Googs are great fun and a good test for vehicle, trailer and driver, and there are some fantastic camp spots at Googs Lake, Mt Finke and along the side of the track.

Four vehicles in our group - three towing trailers. Had a few occasions to use the Maxtrax, but generally the sand on Googs was sufficiently damp to be firm - so the dunes were manageable so long as the right foot was carefully managed. One newbie in our group (VW Amorok towing a GIC trailer) had a few problems on the first couple of days, and at one point we took an hour or so with Maxtrax and snatch to get him off the top of one of the larger dunes - but that was really down to inexperience rather than degree of difficulty.

The Gawler Ranges were a really enjoyable drive with some lovely camping spots and hardly another soul in the national park at this time of year. Prior to going in to the park, a stay at Mt Ive station and a drive out to Lake Gairdner is well worth the effort.

All in all, a highly recommended journey which can be done in a few days loop from Iron Knob, Ceduna etc - though now we're heading North to Dalhousie, Finke and eventually up to the Kimberley.

Thanks to members on the forum who provided feedback a couple of weeks ago when we were preparing for the trip.

Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 22:59

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 22:59
Sounds like you have had a great time, in some great country.

Well done and looking forward to you blog.

Hope the rest of your trips is just as great.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 534222

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 18:40

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 18:40
Ok a serious question.......
I'm currently in the general area (Eyre bleep ular) of the start of the Googs Track and have for along time wanted to go to Kingoonya. I am asking here as as I have no one else with suitable knowledge...... Would I be able to take a Kedron towed by a 200 series to Kingoonya via the Googs Track.
I am just asking a simple question.......please answer yes or no.... Genuine constructive replies are very welcome
Thank you in anticipation
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 534246

Follow Up By: Member - cherrywipe - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 19:55

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 19:55
Hi,
I would think not
Trailers I believe are not allowed on the track.
Can imagine what condition it is in now after previous 4 vehicles plus trailers.
FollowupID: 817850

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 22:44

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 22:44
As Turbo mentioned below, proper off road trailer and right tyre pressures should be no probs.
As far as I am aware, there is no ban on trailers on Googs, it's a PAR and not under any unusual restrictions.

If you weren't keen to go that way, you could drive over towards Kimba, and up the Stringers Hwy to get to Kingoonya between Lakes Gandiner and Everard.

Another way is via Buckleboo Stock Route up through Pinkawillinie Cons Pk to get up near the top of Stringers.
I think this route might be similar terrain to that of Googs, but not as long.
FollowupID: 817857

Follow Up By: Member - cherrywipe - Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 17:18

Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 17:18
Hi,
Check out googs track in Treks . Advise not to tow trailers.
FollowupID: 817890

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 18:00

Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 18:00
Buckleboo stock route is much easier travelling than Googs, all flat and a lot of it is packed earth and not sand. Another great trip though.
FollowupID: 817891

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 18:33

Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 18:33
Have a look at this previous thread. Googs and Gawler Ranges
It has photos of the Gawler Ranges area including the sand dunes on the Buckleboo Stockroute
FollowupID: 817892

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 19:04

Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 19:04
Googs is a bit like the Simpson....you wouldn't take your Kedron across the Simpson....and we're not talking about a 1.2 tonne camper trailer are we, we're talking 2.5 of pure offroad caravan. So to answer your question NO! Although getting that much weight airborne over a dune wonnuld be fun!
FollowupID: 817896

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 23:52

Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 23:52
@ Rod N and others, from memory that is the only dune on Buckleboo, right at the Buckleboo end. It has a chicken track also which just goes around it and not over it. A great drive.

Peter
FollowupID: 817912

Reply By: Turbo 1 - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 21:33

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 21:33
Last time we were there we saw plenty of camper trailers and while the track does have some ruts they seemed to have no problems.
If a kedron is a proper off road trailer go for it.
No signs anywhere about trailers not being allowed.
AnswerID: 534259

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 10:55

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 10:55
Having just done Googs, I can promise you that it would be crazy to try to take a full sized van like a Kedron over the dunes.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 818692

Sponsored Links