Wanted to share these . . .

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:25
ThreadID: 108223 Views:3575 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
From a recent thread on another forum . . .

I'd love people to share this with their younger family members, as well as a reminder to all.
These things apply to GPS, radio, eating, and a whole host of others things that we can get complacent withwhile driving sometimes.

A couple of older ones I have bookmarked . . .

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Turbo 1 - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:49

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:49
I remember seeing a story on the news of a young sheila who smashed into a tree, dead.
The police found her phone and she had sent a text only a second earlier.
AnswerID: 534237

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 13:08

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 13:08
Yeah, I think it was a NZ crash, on the TV crash investigation programme they have ?

If so, it was (tragically) her mum texting her daughter to say she was running late for their meeting up.
Presumed daughter got phone out to check text, and crashed.

Every learner driver should be shown these situations / watch that particular programme episode.
The mum was understandably distraught enough, but when this came out re the text, well, it would have been pretty hard thinking about if her text was partially responsible for the daughters death.
FollowupID: 817831

Follow Up By: bazz - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 20:20

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 20:20
yes sadly this is true , mum txt her daughter , who was driving with grandfather in front pass seat, daughter had fatal crash moments later, Whangarei NZ .... few years ago now ..
FollowupID: 817852

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 19:14

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 19:14
August 2013 I showed up moments after a head on, on the great eastern highway Wooroloo. Young girl rounded the corner, and a head on with a van.

The young girl, was texting, while on a call, eating a sausage roll.

The paramedic that arrived a few minutes later in a repaid response vehicle, was a friend. He showed me the mobile phone call that dropped out 30 second after the crash, and a sequence of texts were going to a from her phone. The sausage roll had actually gone up her right nostril and all over her face.

It was something I will never forgot.

Brett.....
AnswerID: 534251

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 22:36

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 22:36
Jeez yeah, hard to forget something like that.

One time driving from the coast to Charters Towers to visit my nan, we were first on scene of a rolled vehicle a ways out of town, was bad, I can remember that.
Was probably only 6 or 7 yo at the time, don't know if it was a fatal, but I recall the car was a hundred metres off the road, and totally smashed.

Still remember that, even though we kids were kept well back and not out of the car we were travelling in.
FollowupID: 817856

Reply By: Member - mike g2 - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 21:28

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 21:28
Brilliant. hadn't seen it, very effective way of getting message over. is it poss to actually message everyone like that in the group at movies?
not possible to eliminate all possible causes-just reduce obvious ones- I am advocate of advanced driving skills courses, these help. MG.
AnswerID: 534258

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 22:15

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 22:15
'is it poss to actually message everyone like that in the group at movies? '

Yeah Mike, I believe it can be done in a certain area, say 100m radius etc.
Shopping strips were looking at doing that technology a couple of years ago, haven't heard of them proceeding with it though.

The cinema timing was perfect, just gave them 20 secs or so to get the phones out and read a few secs . . . then that impact noise hit them.
Truly got the message . . .
FollowupID: 817855

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 22:57

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 22:57
I sent the link to this thread to various staff at wok today. Some are getting their kids to watch them. Very powerful messages.

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 534261

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 23:07

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 23:07
Good move Dunc, I sent the 3 links to my 18yo daughter this morning, she got her P's yesterday.
Asked her to sit and watch them with 2 couple of her girlfriends that have their licences too.
Told her if she watches them, I'll never nag her again worrying when she goes out in the car :)
FollowupID: 817858

Reply By: WayneD - Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 02:20

Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 02:20
Would love to see those ads over here in the USA where it is still legal in most states to use hand held phones and drink driving is a major cause of road accidents.

Had a young girl pass me on the freeway recently doing about 80mph foot on the dash and on the phone. Texting is illegal in most states but does not deter people.
AnswerID: 534262

Reply By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 10:58

Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 10:58
I showed this to my 9yo daughter to show her how easily accidents can happen while driving, and why she and her little sister should try not to distract me (eg by fighting in the car) while I am driving!
AnswerID: 534280

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 15:45

Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 15:45
I think the VW ad is a fantastic peace of work and really highlights what can happen and shows the cause and the outcome.

The second ad has a lot of impact and gets the message across with out criticism or pointing the finger as such.

The TAC ad is unfortunately a typical Aussie accident commission ad and the same format that lays the blame from the start that uses words to try and get the message across...... people turn off very quickly and pay less attention with this type of messaging.... don't drink, don't speed, drive safely, have a break and the list goes on and on.

Well done to the first two for making an impact and thinking outside the square.

The sad thing is here in the land down under high impact ads like the second one would not make it to the TV screens as it is to visual and real..... someone would complain and it would get removed.

But say that all these ads are great and get people thinking for a few seconds and then it disappears from their mind never to surface again.

The hardest thing with people is they have the mindset it will not happen to me.
AnswerID: 534292

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 20:37

Friday, Jun 13, 2014 at 20:37
Gotta agree with olcoolone - the only thing that really has an impact with young drivers is a death amongst them.
You can show them this stuff - bawl at them endlessly - but they're young and invincible - and dying only happens to old people.

I can remember about 25 years ago, a woman a little older than me with a teenage daughter, telling me how one of her daughters male friends in her group killed himself with some juvenile stupidity behind the wheel.
She said the daughter and her friends were devastated beyond belief - because only old people died.
It was a hard lesson to all of them.

There are some companies around with driver training schemes that are truly excellent. Schlumberger (shlum-berj-shay) is one.
These companies started up their own driver-training schemes because they were sick of losing hundreds of thousands of dollars in vehicle accidents - losing otherwise-good employees - and all because they were careless with their driving habits.

These driver training schemes are so thorough, it's incredible to watch them in action.
An instructor is beside you, playing the part of a rowdy passenger - turning up the radio - pulling on the handbrake - urging you to go faster - just like another juvenile in the car.

The training shows you how to control your passengers and instruct them, and how to keep control of them.
The course teaches you everything from skid correction to eliminating distractions.

They teach you (no, they HAMMER you), to never change lanes or overtake without indicating - and they teach you to both PHYSICALLY look over your shoulder - as well as use the mirrors - before changing lanes or overtaking.

And when the employee takes out a company car - it has to be signed out every time (just like a hire car), and they have to accept responsibility for its care and maintenance - and they are made to understand what all this documentation means, and sign they they have understood it.
No loaning of vehicles, no other drivers, no DUI, no damage - or the car is taken off them. These company driver training schemes should be made the standard driver training technique for all drivers.

Teenagers should be made to sign out the family car and agree to drive carefully, look after their passengers lives, and take care of the vehicle.
They need to be made aware there are penalties for failing to do, as well - such as loss of access to the vehicle.
It reinforces the seriousness of handing over a vehicle to their control and use, and sets the scene for them to understand their responsibilities.

The current system of driver training is pathetic - and the worst thing is allowing parents to teach their children. This should be banned, it only leads to inherited bad driving habits being handed down.
AnswerID: 534303

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 00:10

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 00:10
Les

I work in emergency so I see a fair bit of grief, but I'd have to say the "Everybody Hurts" clip was chilling.

Thanks

Bob

AnswerID: 534315

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 12:18

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 12:18
Yeah Bob, it was a good way to get the full impact of each scenario across . . . showing the pre accident scenes, the incidents, and the post accident suffering / grief.

Must say, even though we know these are ads and scenes are staged, they are VERY realistic.

Particular ones that I remember are the one where the male gets out of the car and in a blink disappears with the door as a passing car takes him and the door out. The female left in the car is sitting there in shock.

The other is the 2 older gentlemen near the rear of a parked car, and in a split second gone as a speeding vehicle plows in to them, very realistic.
FollowupID: 818020

Reply By: 749 - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 11:51

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 11:51
Why can't texting be disabled while the car is in motion, you can on the gps
AnswerID: 534399

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 12:35

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 12:35
There're probably lots of things that COULD be done to make driving safer, heck speed limiting, breathaliser starting systems, anti fatigue technology, etc.
I suppose it comes down to $$, but slowly things are introduced to boost safety, so one day we will probably see things like that come in.

It is just a shame that GOVCO takes most measures to reduce road deaths on speeding alone, and increasingly for low tolerance speeding.
Speed is a measurable and easy offence to measure / catch people, I suppose.
Sure, excessive speeding is an issue, small things escalate quickly when someone is going way over posted limits, control is lost more easily, and of course the end result is much worse at higher speed.

I imagine it would be a GOVCO dream that one day we'll have compulsory GPS fitted from he factory, linked to GOVCO rego and offences office somewhere.
Go a couple of ks over and you'll get a fine in the mail.

But, I haven't seen a breathaliser for years, seriously, it's been years . . . maybe I don't get out enough on Fri / Sat nights.
FollowupID: 818022

Sponsored Links