Rudall River NP - Exit West?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 14:17
ThreadID: 108243 Views:1798 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Desert Travellers.

Am intending to exit RRNP westish from Hanging Rock in a few weeks. Does anyone have any recent info on its condition pls? Wondering whether to put the Scratchpro gunk on...

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 17:43

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 17:43
John you may bump into Nick and his Tag-a-long crew as they will be there in late July also.

Have a great trip. RRNP is on my bucket list.

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 534350

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 19:41

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 19:41
Thanks Dunc.

Yes, I was referred to Nick's blurb by Big Phil... It looks like they'll be out of the Park about 5 -7 days before I get there, which will be good as they will have done the lawn mowing, hopefully :-).

We're going to get there via the scenic route; a couple of days around Newman looking at the Hickman Crater and Punda area, then out along the Skull Springs Rd via the Oakover pools etc, towards Telfer to continue to CSR well 33; then down to W23 and then exit the CSR via the Talawana to reach the Park.

Cheers.

John.
FollowupID: 817976

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 18:21

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 18:21
John,

at Easter we came down the road from Telfer (having travelled from Alice Springs). We turned left at Island Hill, hoping to follow the river and then head south through Parngurr. I refer to the EOTopo map (http://www.exploroz.com/EOTopo/Default.aspx#rqc_tabs=3) which looks a lot better than the map you posted.

The track is pretty over grown, with lots of steep creek crossings. Lots of scratchy branches too! Keep an eye out for my brand new Cooper STT on Land Rover rim. It snapped off its mount on the trailer and disappeared into the scrub!

We got about as far as where Larry Creek joins the RR. Due to recent rains there was lots of water about, and the section of the track where you are supposed to drive along the river bed was well and truly under water. We had no option but to turn back and exit to the south from Island Hill.

I reckon the water should have gone by now so you should be able to get through, but not with your duco intact!

Bob

AnswerID: 534353

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 19:44

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 19:44
Thanks Bob.

Yes, unless it rains again, should be 'dry as' on the tracks. Our route however will be to chuck a righty (from a sthly heading) at about Island Hill, heading west.

Cheers.

John.
FollowupID: 817977

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 19:52

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 19:52
John

The information above would be useful if you were exiting to the EAST.

Sorry

Bob
FollowupID: 817980

Reply By: Joe Fury - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 22:42

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 22:42
G'day John Bass

If you intend on visiting the Hickman Crater and Punda, I strongly advise that you obtain a BHP rail access road travel permit, which is free from the Newman Visitor Centre.

If you are stopped/quizzed by BHP's people at any point while you are on "their" property you will be asked if you have your permit, as no permit = no travel.

The N.V.C. mud maps are very iffy, with many would be "explorers" getting confused on the multitude of exploration tracks now in the area, with some folk getting confused and unable to reach the Crater ~ although the track is very well defined.

The track into Punda is quite wet and due care should be taken, especially in the creek section of the track.

Safe travels : Joe F

AnswerID: 534378

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 23:17

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 23:17
Many thanks Joe.

Yes, I intend visiting the NVC for a permit.

I should be OK for the tracks, nav wise. I've looked at their 'mudmap' vis a vis Google Earth and it seems the track is as you say, well defined. I've also created the GE image for the area as a navigable map, useable with Ozi so I hope to be OK out there.

Thks too for the 'heads up' on the Punda track/s - might have to walk the last couple of kays....

Noted many of your Newman area images on GE too, thks :-).

Cheers.
FollowupID: 817999

Sponsored Links