Ozi 3D

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 20:54
ThreadID: 108252 Views:1719 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

Just wondering how many people utilise Oziexplorer3D?

I've had it as an add on now to Ozi for over 10 years - though only really use it sparingly.

For those who don't know what it is capable of, here is an example.

You select an area in Ozi of interest:

You then can view the area looking from any angle with the elevation graphically represented:

You can accentuate the elevations to make them more pronounced if you like. You can also adjust the position of the virtual light source (and shadow).

If you want you can eliminate the actual map and just leave elevations gridlines.

You can also swivel the map around to view it from any angle, and zoom in/out etc.

There's a few others features such as 3D profiling and you can show the elevation where the cursor is on the map (and many more).
Great for finding those high and low spots for whatever reason.....

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 21:22

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 21:22
Hi

Yeah - used it a few times out of interest..but as you know finding any significant change in elevation in WA can be hard :)

You can use Google Earth (GE) for similar purpose (and free) - here is a plot of a walk I did in 2009.

If you convert raster maps to KMZ (e.g. use GlobalMapper (not free)) you can drape them over terrain in GE - same as Ozi but seems to place less drain on PC resources.

All good fun

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 534371

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 23:00

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 23:00
WALK??? What is this wizardry?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817998

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 23:57

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 23:57
Hoof it while you can ....the world isn't all red sand dunes and dried up salt lakes :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818002

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 01:39

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 01:39
Is that you in the pic Greg....or is it a 'cut and paste' from some Alpine tragic...?
FollowupID: 818005

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 11:42

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 11:42
Hi Greg,
Looks like you had a great walk.
Re: PC resources you are right it does use a lot of power - However not so on newish machines. I have a new machine (low-mid level) and have set the number of vertices at the maximum number of 2 million and it seems to process it with no dramas.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818018

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 18:44

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 18:44
John - yes me, actually way too much like hard work in my opinion but my mates make me do it.

Alan - apologies for straying off topic. I just remembered using Google Earth to create a 3D representation of the walk so thought Id post it - works very well...but

You are 100% correct regarding newer PC's and Ozi 3D. I was reminiscing. I also have acquired a newer PC in recent times, haven't tried Ozi3D (despite having license) but have no doubt it will do it easily as you indicate. When it first came out (~2002) it was a bit sluggish on your average home PC but less likely to be an issue now.

3D representation of topo maps/airphotos brings them to life. Ozi3d is a pretty cheap add on and worth it if you have a bit of a passion for studying the lay of the land.

The elevation data required for any map you have loaded can now be downloaded through Ozi which makes is easier that in the past also.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818050

Sponsored Links