Flashing O/D dash light 4.5 Auto 100 series

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 16:26
ThreadID: 108263 Views:3517 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, bought a second hand 100 series yesterday from a Toyota dealer. During the test drive and driving home after purchase noticed that when I select Overdrive the O/D warning light is flashing. The vehicle manual states "contact Toyota". Hoping it is not bad news and covered under warranty if repair is required. Can anyone give me any idea's on what the problem could likely be. I have just joined www.LCOOL but have to wait 24 hours to be accepted etc.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 21:33

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 21:33
Gordon, the transmission ECU most likely has an electronic fault and it can only be properly diagnosed with the appropriate electronic code reader.
You don't say where you are located, or how much you paid for the vehicle, but I know in numerous states, used 4WD's below a certain value do not come with any warranty.
The warranty terms should have been made clear to you when you purchased the vehicle.
It always pays to clarify the amount and type of warranty coverage, if it isn't spelled out to you.
Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 534447

Follow Up By: Gordonk - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 22:14

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 22:14
Hi Ron, Thanks for your reply. In regards to my warranty terms, I have been given a 1 month or 1000k (which ever expires first) statutory warranty. I have read the terms of this warranty and if I have read it correctly it states that items such as tyres air-con lights and stereo are not covered which I agree with. Therefore I believe or correct me if I am wrong, any repairs required to the ECU or god forbid the transmission the warranty should cover it. Just wanted a rough idea on what could be the problem or if anyone has experienced the same.

Cheers, Gordon
FollowupID: 818078

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 22:42

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 22:42
Yes, the warranty sounds like it should cover any mechanical fault, particularly seeing as you have only just acquired the vehicle.
Here's the Consumer Law guide that will assist you if you run into refusals, hedging, or claims that the fault is minor.
Most arguments with regard to warranty claims generally centre around whether the fault is major, and who is going to repair it and to what level.

http://www.consumerlaw.gov.au/content/acl_resources/downloads/industry_guides/motor_vehicle_sales.pdf

I can't help you with any personal experience of the problem. I guess you're looking for advice that it's an easy, common and simple fix.

It would be good if it was, but I find that electronic and warning light faults are quite often niggling, intermittent, and usually a result of a faulty sensor, a faulty connector, or ECU faults. Only a proper test with the right equipment in the hands of a capable mechanic will nail it.

I would be very surprised if the transmission was totally shot, you would get a lot more indicators than a warning light if the transmission itself had a major fault.
Those indicators would be transmission slipping, grating or grinding noises, and oil with silvery metal particles in suspension.
Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 818079

Follow Up By: Gordonk - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 22:58

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 22:58
Thanks Ron, you have been very helpful and I am very grateful for your help and the attached link to the Consumer Law guide. I just wanted to go to the dealer with some extra knowledge in case they try to refuse to repair. Yes I agree the transmission feels perfect when I drive and select O/D it's just the O/D light flashes which means there is some type of error/problem. I am also going to try my luck with getting the keyless entry clicker re programmed as it does not work either. The battery is fine, I think it needs to be re-programmed or something like that. I have done some reading of previous posts gets a bit confusing after a while. Again, thanks Ron for your help. Will let everyone know how I go with the dealer for anyone future reference.

Regards, Gordon
FollowupID: 818082

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER - Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 17:33

Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 17:33
google a442f fault code.
You can short out 2 terminals in the diagnostic plug and the od light will flash a sequence of flashed to tell you whats wrong.
FollowupID: 818126

Follow Up By: Gordonk - Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 21:21

Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 21:21
Thanks Dozer, googled the fault code and did some reading of several posts. Bit out of my depth of knowledge unfortunately. Dont really understand most of it.

Took vehicle to Toyota this morning, was asked to bring it back tomorrow so they can have a look. As stated above, i have a dealers warranty for 1 month so shouldn't have to pay anything.
FollowupID: 818148

Follow Up By: Gordonk - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 23:07

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 23:07
Took Toyota back to the dealer to get transmission sorted and get the keyless entry working. They claim they couldn't find anything wrong with the transmission and said the Overdrive light is no longer flashing, also refused to fix the keyless entry, Get back into the car to drive home, and the O/D off light is flashing.Well, so much for dealers warranty. Any ideas anyone?
FollowupID: 818313

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 20:25

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 20:25
Take it back. Tell them you want your money back, as it is faulty and they cant fix it.
AnswerID: 534645

Follow Up By: Gordonk - Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 22:51

Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 22:51
Thanks Dozer, tried that they refused. Got an RACQ assessment done today. They confirmed overdrive light is flashing but could not retrieve any codes because they didn't have the right machine. Also confirmed the keyless entry does not work and found an oil leak. Gave the dealer a copy of the RACQ report and again, they are refusing to repair anything at this stage. I have lodged an official complaint with Fair Trading Qld, hopefully I will get this sorted. Not really sure why the dealer will not honour the warranty just keeps telling me not a warranty issue.
FollowupID: 818671

Sponsored Links