Memory maps for android

Submitted: Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 12:05
ThreadID: 108277 Views:2613 Replies:1 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Have been trying to transfer my WP Tracks etc from MM on my lap top to my Samsung Note 8.
I have left an email to MM but I think it has gone to snail mail and someone has stood on the snail !
I have down loaded the free android MM app on to my Note. Do I have to have the paid version to get this to work ?
Does MM work as well on the Tablet as on the VMS unit ? ie. touching screen to mark spots . Drawing in routes etc.
Am I wasting my time with MM and should use oziexplorer for android which seems to have had an android verson for awhile.
Regards Lachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mikehzz - Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 18:43

Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 18:43
Have you got maps? The app is free, there isn't a paid one, but you have to buy maps and activate the licence on the devices you want to use. You use the same maps on every device, so the map files on your computer work on your android as soon as you copy them over and activate. The waypoint files copy over as well.
AnswerID: 534494

Follow Up By: Member - Jim B8 - Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 19:20

Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 19:20
I thought I was doing something wrong. I bought maps, DVD's, downloaded for 10 days, licensed every bloody square of MM maps, and only then ran away. I then purchased ozi, followed by ozi for android, and yes, it now works
Samsung Galaxy Tab3 7 inch. Seems to be I wasn't the only one having problems? My advice? Run away from MM, talk to Des at Ozi.
FollowupID: 818135

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 19:35

Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 19:35
I've got both and prefer MM by a mile. I never use Ozi anymore. It did take me a while to warm to MM though.
FollowupID: 818138

Follow Up By: Member - Jim B8 - Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 19:59

Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 19:59
oops, posted on the wrong line. Newby.
But I am interested that you prefer MM, good to see someone mastered it, I gave up. Looking like operator error on my part
FollowupID: 818141

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 05:05

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 05:05
What Mikehzz says plus

-You must save tracks, routes and waypoints on the PC as GPX, not MMO

Read transfering overlay objects here
FollowupID: 818160

Follow Up By: Lachie - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 13:38

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 13:38
I have maps on the DVD from VMS therefore a licence. I have down loaded the app on my note.
I have saved the PC MM into a GPX format.
Copied it across to the note. Opened MM.
Gone to overlay and hit data download or what ever it was called . No luck.
Only thing is does all this have to be done on the micro sd card.
I realized I haven't got one.
Lachie.
FollowupID: 818184

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 14:08

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 14:08
I don't know that MM will read VMS maps...either will Ozi probably. You have to copy your maps to the device at any rate. You usually need a card in it as maps take up a lot of space. It depends on the memory of your tablet/phone whether the maps will fit.
FollowupID: 818185

Follow Up By: Member - Jim B8 - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 17:54

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 17:54
I found their support, web pages, and general usability very frustrating. but the crunch for me was when I found out that my (expensive) off line maps needed to go online to register them??? For every bloody screen, right across australia? Real handy out bush where there is no signal?
FollowupID: 818199

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 18:37

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 18:37
Yes, I couldn't agree more with the licencing crap and activation issues. I don't think the maps are that expensive compared to any others. People only think Ozi is cheap because they download pirated maps or scan their own. My experience is that MM is great once you know all the maps are on the device and activated. Until then.....crapola.
FollowupID: 818201

Follow Up By: Member - Jim B8 - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 18:46

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 18:46
I was clueless, downloaded it, bought NSW and Qld maps, and had a great deal of problems. The factory stance seems to be "your on your own" Great if you program Andriod devices all day long, but I made the mistake of assuming that it would all work out. It didn't, it just got worse, the more I spent

Deleted it all today. never mind. Ozi is working so well I feel justified with paying for two separate installs, at least I now have off road maps that don't need a quick run into town to license?????

Re the MM, - Move to a new square and you are stuffed?? It seems to be written for a city bloke who is in the botanical gardens, "exploring". Run out of map? Well just log on, and license a new page?? Make me shudder to think what would happen out in the desert?
FollowupID: 818203

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 21:27

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 21:27
Wow Jim, if you had read the instructions it seems you cold have saved a lot of heartache and money. You seem to have the wrong impression of how it works. Chunks are one download option, another is bulk download. I have about 1000 maps on my Android device and have used it frequently in the Simpson, High country etc. No need to have any coverage.

Never mind so long as you have Ozi and are happy.
FollowupID: 818221

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 22:57

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 22:57
What instructions? You have to google everything and stuff it up half a dozen times before you ever get anything right. I'm with Jim - Ozi all the way. You can stick your memory maps or mud maps where the sun don't shine, they just don't work unless you are some sort of computer guru.
FollowupID: 818230

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 04:04

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 04:04
It's all here
FollowupID: 818236

Follow Up By: Lachie - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:41

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:41
I rang GPS OZ to try and get some more answers because I really don't understand the complexity of the hole situation.
He said you nearly need a degree in computer science to use MM on a android system. Made me feel like a real country bumkin.
If I had bought an ipad things would have been far simpler he said.

He said I should buy Hema maps.
What experience have people with Hema?
What about eo_topo?

Why can't all the maps on any of these systems just be loaded onto the micro sd card like in gps units.. I notice when I go into a new map field in Mm, especially in more detailed vic map it does take a while to download.

Lachie
FollowupID: 818257

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 14:48

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 14:48
Two things Lachie, I have it on iPad and Android and didn't notice any real difference between the two. Second, I think the Hema Maps app is just Memory Map with a different "face". I have the Hema Map set running on Memory Map.
My real life experience, I moved from Ozi to Memory Map about 3-4 years ago when I bought the original iPad. At the time, I thought, what is this crap? It seems hard to set up and the maps aren't there when you need them, read "out in the sticks". :-) So I didn't touch it for a year and used a free app on the ipad called Bitmap with my Ozi maps. Eventually, I completed my degree in computer science (bull****) and so applied myself to figuring Memory Map. I now wouldn't use anything else. Cheers.
FollowupID: 818273

Sponsored Links