scangauge

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 08:10
ThreadID: 108299 Views:2623 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Im interested in buying a scangauge for my vehicle,i have been on there website and read about them but im a bit confused on how they work,do you plug them in and just scan for fault codes or do you have to program all there codes in.If there is any body who has one could you let me know what you think of these units.
Cheers
Humpback
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Athol W1 - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 09:09

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 09:09
Humpback
The Scangauge 11 (2) just plugs in to the OBD2 port which is usually located within 300mm of the steering column under the dash, or could be in the centre console.

It comes with most of the programmes required for most makes (generic codes) and on the website www.ampleoutdoors.com.au you will find some additional programmes, mostly for the transmission temp of the various vehicle models (some makes use different programmes for different models in their vehicle line up)

It can be set to show constantly updated (every 2 seconds) information for 4 vehicle functions, and it can be used for such things as average or instant fuel consumption, distance to empty, fuel required to fill, also maximum, speed engine temp, engine time on, engine RPM etc since the last engine off period of greater than 10 hours (could be good for seeing what the son has been up to) as well as giving a readout of all the stored diagnostic fault codes, and the ability to clear such codes from memory.

On obtaining the gauge you will have to enter some information into the unit so that it knows what it is looking at (number of cylinders, fuel tank capacity, fuel type etc)

IMHO these are a very good and reliable accessory to have fitted and I would not be without it.

I have no association with any of the suppliers other than a happy customer of Ampleoutdoors

Regardss
Athol
AnswerID: 534568

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 09:13

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 09:13
G'day Humpback
A ScanGauge simply plugs into the OBD11 port (trapezium shaped 16 pin connector) which is usually situated near the steering column on most vehicles.
It requires an initial setup (easily done) to set vehicle type ie, engine size, fuel type and other data. It can also then monitor fuel usage ( i don't bother) but it's normal display will show a host of engine parameters which can be displayed, 4 on the screen at any one time.
ie, turbo boost ( absolute or above atmospheric, intake air temp, voltage of electrical system/alternator. engine water temp, being just 4.
There are others as well,
road speed,
Auto fluid temp, (if programmed with a code from SG).

Then the info become more readings for engine sensor functions which you may not require to see as you drive.
The different functions can be selected with the press of a button.

The SG will allow you to ask it to scan for fault codes and they will register if there.
It will show the code and that can guide you to the possible problem area by refenercing the code with the standard OBD11 protocol codes which are available as a list of the net,
Always good to have a printout of the codes in the glovebox, so you can track the code to the system or sensor on the vehicle. If you aren't familiar with the codes and system, someone else may be able to help if you have that info with you.

I had a turbo control hose blow off and into limp mode. scangauge code indicated and that code was low boost. Replaced hose and attached it properly and erased fault code with Scangauge. All done.

It is only an aid/tool though.

Cheers
Ross M
AnswerID: 534569

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 09:51

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 09:51
I set my scanguage to view KPH , Litres per 100kms , battery voltage and Engline LOD.

The LPK is very handy and enables me to ease back if consumption rises too high.

Pedro
FollowupID: 818251

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 09:43

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 09:43
You haven't mentioned your vehicle, make sure it will work with the Scangauge.

There is a list on the Ample Outdoors website.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 534570

Reply By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 09:47

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 09:47
Hi Humpback,
I agree with what Ross and Athol say. I have my Scangauge plugged in all the time in my DMax. with trans temp, water temp, charge volts and boost displayed. I tend to stick to these readouts although many others are available.
Regards
Scooby
AnswerID: 534571

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:21

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:21
Agree also with Ross and Athol. I really like the fuel consumption function. Once it is calibrated (over a couple of refills) the figures for fuel consumed are incredibly accurate. Regardless of driving style, it will tell me (within 500ml or so for a 180l Prado tank) how much required to fill up. A very handy function for more remote travel noting that most fitted fuel gauges are a bit hit and miss.

Cheers,

Matt.
FollowupID: 818259

Reply By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 16:28

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 16:28
Hi Humpy

Have a look at Ultragauge as well. Cheaper and some claim better.

Both SG and UG will show error codes (assuming your vehicle is compatible - lists are available) and allow you to manually clear warnings. To find out what the code means you can download a list online. Some of the the error code descriptions can be quite vague and only point you in the general direction of any problem being logged but there are plenty of websites and forums which can help with specific codes and what they mean in practice.

Both gauges can also be used as interactive monitoring devices as a few forumites have already said.
AnswerID: 534580

Follow Up By: Kris and Kev - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 17:45

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 17:45
I may be wrong, but I don’t think the Ultragauge does the auto oil temperature? Obviously if you don’t have auto that would not be a problem. Kevin
FollowupID: 818276

Follow Up By: humpback - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 22:26

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 22:26
Thank you to everybody who replied fantastic feedback very much appreciated.
Cheers
Humpback
FollowupID: 818310

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 09:07

Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 09:07
I went the Ultraguage way as well as the screen display is nicer and easier to read than the Scanguage
Have not used a scanguage so can't compare differences
FollowupID: 818474

Reply By: dreamerman - Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 08:31

Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 08:31
There is a much cheaper option. If you have a smartphone with bluetooth, you can buy a ELM327 adapter from ebay and buy Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car) or equivalent for a few bucks. I have this setup and works great.
AnswerID: 534723

Sponsored Links