southerncross tents

Submitted: Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1083 Views:2097 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Are southerncross tents as good as i have heard?I am interested to hear from anyone who owns one! Are they quick to set up,entirely waterproof &of good quality.I am considering buying a ultimate trecker for 2 adults & 1 child. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Drew - Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00
Macka,
I have an Ultimate Trekker and have been using it for several years. This is one of thosse purchases that you never regret. While your mates stuff around with lightweight dome tents and the like, the touring tent is up and bullet proof in minutes. The floor is totally waterproof as well and if you put a shadecloth square underneath will be even better protected.
I alos have the awning which for extended stays is excellent.
I have a wife and 2 kids and there is plenty of room for us and our gear.
With all really good products though, there is one downside. This one is weight. To be a lifetime tent, it has to have heavy duty fabrics. If you can get past the 30kg + payload (and most of us can) it is an excellent product.
I am sure also that if you check with Peter Hands from Express Tools and Camping, he can ship you one at an excellent price. He has an entry in the trader section of this site or you can call him on 02 42711066. Im not pushing the barrow but he is a top bloke with great products.
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 3361

Reply By: michelle - Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00

i am very happy with our southern cross 10 x 10 with awning. they are tottaly water proof but they are heavy and large. they are quick and easy. great tent. my is about 10 years old and has never let us down in the wet and wind. great tent.
AnswerID: 3363

Reply By: Mike - Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00

My experience with a Southern Cross 9X9 centre pole tent ... Quick and easy to put up. Strongly made but persistently leaked in HEAVY rain ... not in showers but very heavy rain over a period of hours. Had it back to them and it was no better after they had it for 3 weeks. I have fixed it myself I think by painstakingly resealing it. It's only about a year old and was thoroughly soaked before use. Not really happy as friends with a similar Freedom tent have had no such hassles. I think a tent should be thoroughly proofed before sale. Have used a canvas annex on my caravan for years and it has had torrential rain and never leaked. Mind you I went to a top quality manufacturer for it.
AnswerID: 3379

Follow Up By: Drew - Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 00:00
Thats a first for me. I have used mine in absolutely shocking weather with no hassles whatsoever. I have never heard of any problems before either.
FollowupID: 1384

Sponsored Links