Smalleys beach - Cape Hillsborough

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:05
ThreadID: 108312 Views:2708 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, we're thinking of stopping over at smalleys beach on our way up north, has anyone got any reports about the QPWS campground there. Are the sites big enough for large vans? Is there any decent fishing spots close by?
Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jeffrey B2 - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:57

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:57
Hi ! P.K. Big sites, from memory only about 12 -13 sites. Get there during the week,

Drop enviormental toilets quite good, water available, or was. Nat. Parks.

Yabbies on the beach, got a barra there last time off the beach, whiting off the beach.

Good spot to go for drives and sightseeing. Dingoes and wallabies.

Quite safe, rangers call every day. No bookings to my knowledge, honesty box for registration.

We used to call in every year for a spell and dodge the holiday traffic early in the year.

Easter etc.

Good travelling, my info. may be out of date now so do a few checks.

Have fun Haji-Baba
AnswerID: 534624

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:24

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:24
CAW says limited sites for large vehicles (CAW-7-62.)

There is also CAW-7-61, Ball Bay camping reserve. It is shown as having showers. Are these hot or cold ones?
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 818346

Follow Up By: Jeffrey B2 - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 19:33

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 19:33
P.K. Just did a check on my records and some of the sites coulld be a little cramped. As I said earlier limited number, but well worth a look.

We had a couple arrive with a 19 foot Boruma one Easter Thursday eve and as we knew that another family were leaving next morning they stayed on our site till next day and then moved over.
Plenty of room for both vans on our site, in fact could have put 3 vans there. They do vary in size.
I am not sure about booking, but as a lot of N.P. areas must now be
pre-booked on line you best check.
Seaforth had beach camping, and Ball Bay, and there is a van park right out on the tip of Cape Hillsborough.

Smalleys Beach co-ordinates 20 54 51s. 149 00 59e.
Definately worth a visit.

Have fun Haji-Baba

FollowupID: 818368

Reply By: lindsay p3 - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 13:57

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 13:57
Try this web site, it might give you the info you are looking for

http://www.findacamp.com.au/camp-site.php?camp=846
Falling down is a part of life, staying down is a choice!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 534629

Reply By: Rod - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 20:53

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 20:53
This is one of my favourite spots and I am going there again in a few weeks.

* You need to book online, in fact it is heavily booked in the coming weeks. Just show up and you will be disappointed
* Campsites 2 and 3 are suitable for larger vans
* The entrance to campsite 1 is narrow and long. If you are good at reversing your van,you may be ok
* The road gets narrower towards the end and it may be hard to swing a large van into those sites
* I don't believe you can fish at Smalleys as it is part of a green zone. You can at Seaforth

The Cape Hillsborough resort/caravan park has not appealed to us as the sites look very cramped. The Seaforth Caravan Park does look large and busy, but more open.
AnswerID: 534647

Sponsored Links