what is the most comfortable matteress for sleeping in LC200

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 21:30
ThreadID: 108321 Views:2841 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are going to Cape York next year and planning to leave our off road elite caravan at Bramwell junction while we do the OTL for a couple of weeks. We are planning to sleep in the back of the cruiser. Just wondering if other travellers have done this and what type of matteress are the most comfortable and don't take up to much room. For this part of the trip we will be travelling pretty light. We have bought a cheap tent that attaches to the rear of the cruiser to store the engel and other things that need to come out of the cruiser to make room for sleeping.
We are retired so we are looking for comfort while out of the van.
Thanks for any suggestions, Hugh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - blackbird1937 - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 22:47

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 22:47
Hi Hugh. We use Thermarest self inflating mattresses that we have had for about 20 years in a Freedom 1 minute tent. We used them on our trip to the Tip in 03. We have just finished a 3,300 plus 7 day trip around the cold Pilbara using the tent, mattresses etc. My partner places both mattresses together on the floor on 1 side of the tent, covers them with a blanket then a fitted sheet to keep them together then puts a doona on the top. We have both been retired for some time so we are not young either. Last September we spent 16 days tenting in Qld and the NT. Hope that this helps you to enjoy your trip to the Tip of Qld. I recommend that you see Horn Island, Somerset beach, the Radar station was good also.The trip will be as good as you make it!
AnswerID: 534658

Follow Up By: Member - Russler - Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 13:44

Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 13:44
That's very accommodating of your partner to go to such an effort making your bed. What does your partner sleep on?
FollowupID: 818413

Reply By: Bludge - Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 09:45

Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 09:45
Bush Camper,

A couple of weeks on the OTL? The actual section that you see on youtube etc is approximately 116 from Bramwell to the old Jardine river crossing.

Just my opinion.

Bramwell Station and the Bramwell Junction is the start of the OTT If I were to take a camper/caravan I would leave the camper/caravan at Bramwell Station, do the first section of the OTT and come back via the Development Road to camp.

The first section of the OTT is 70kms long the Development Road is 110kms back to Bramwell Station. That is after you have had a swim at Fruitbat Falls or even at Twin Falls.

The next day I would take the camper he 110kms via the Development Road to the Twin/Elliot Falls and explore the northern section of the OTT which is only 45kms long plus about 11kms to get back to the Development Road then backtrack 62kms on the Development road to Twin/Elliot Falls.

Note: you cannot camp at Fruitbat Falls (day stop) but you can at Twin/Elliot Falls you will need to book this site here Jardine Parks Bookings

This will allow you to tackle the OTT without the caravan, getting it damaged full or water or dust, or even getting you stuck. You will have a bed ready for you when you get back to camp.

Then drive up to the Jardine with your caravan and take it to either Seisa, Loyalty or my preference, Punsands.

The Cape is as hard or as easy as you make it, so why not do it in comfort?

Good luck planning
AnswerID: 534669

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 15:25

Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 15:25
Hi Bush Camper

We camp in our Patrol , and find it more secure and quiter than a tent.
By removing 2nd row seats and using a board arrangement we can have a flat area of over 2m X1200mm.

We tried a few things but in the end decided to not stuff around anymore and got a 150mm thick double bed foam mattress.

We cut it to fit into the car and still allow room for some luggage and it came out at 1100mm wide * 1700mm long with a few nicks that allow the fridge to remain permanently in the car , and we need no external tent stuff.

It has been quite a sucess.

We got the foam mattress from Fantastic furniture @ $90 which was massively cheaper than Clark rubber , but the foam isn't as good (dense).

However I think it works better than dense stuff which we have used unsuccessfully before in 100mm thickness.

P.S. When making a flat floor exension we found that its better to not be to flat and ours allows for a dip of 25mm where hips go which means foam doesn't bottom out under compression.

P.S.2 We still always carry a little 2 man tent which sometimes gets setup to secure a camping spot , and allows 1 to dissappear on an erand while the other still has sort of a base they can stay at .

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 534690

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 17:25

Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 17:25
Would information for a mattress for a 100 series be the same?

Does this mean someone with a mattress in a Nissan Patrol can't comment?

I have a 200 series but never tried a mattress in it but we use Thermarest in our swags if that's of any help.
AnswerID: 534696

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 17:51

Friday, Jun 20, 2014 at 17:51
Hugh,

We've got an Oztrail double self inflater, about 100mm thick. Been comfortable in a tent, on a claypan on the Georgina River, when morning temps were down to zero. But it can be a pig to roll up compactly, and really needs 2 to do the job. As with many other tasks......... :-)

As suggested above, and in previous threads, 2 singles might be more practical, and easier to pack in the morning, and find room for them, when loading. We've got 2 singles, both Himalayas, and the thicker one is 100mm thick, and pretty comfy.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 534698

Sponsored Links