HID Head light inserts

Submitted: Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 13:29
ThreadID: 10840 Views:6211 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Have any forumites tried out those new HID headlight inserts put out by Photon?
I think they run out at about $1,100- a set!!!, but then again you can spend a fair amount on Piranha looms and fancy globes too.
My problem is that I run a set of Lightforce 240 Blitz lights with my standard Nissan headlights. When I have to dip down for oncoming traffic, it's a case of "wherethefugarewe????for about 5 seconds.
Thanks for any advice.
Cheers,
Roachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fozzy - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 13:36

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 13:36
havent tried the spotties but for standard light globes can use narva 50plus which dont need any upgraded wiring loom-had them in 80 series and was improvement on standard lights-think from memory cost about $30 per globe.
is also another brand on market-cant remember but both were available from autobahn-sure available elswhere as well
had similar problem-had cibie super oscars which were awesome until u dimmed lights or passed road signs which illuminated back at u
AnswerID: 48379

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 13:40

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 13:40
I put IPF headlight inserts in and a wiring loom.

The inserts could take a bit more heat and the wiring loom ment I was not getting voltage drop at the lights. I run 80/100 H4 with no problems.

The Lightforce 240 are great .

WayneAlways Out'N About
AnswerID: 48381

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 14:12

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 14:12
I put 80/130 in the patrol with standard wireing work a treat, I think they were Narva globes.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 48388

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 14:36

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 14:36
Did try 80 /130 but they kept blowing. Because the 80 series has small head lights the heat build up is greater than in a GU patrol.

I looked at upgrading the globes on the Mazda Astina but was told that the reflectors are made of some form of plastic and would discolour with the extra heat build up. Narva Plus were the go, same wattage 55/60 but are 50% brighter. Seem to work OK

Wayne Always Out'N About
FollowupID: 310226

Follow Up By: Member - Tim&jan - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 15:04

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 15:04
yea i tryed the 80\130 lasted 5 days too expensive for that little timegu bush basha
FollowupID: 310230

Reply By: Savvas - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 16:13

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 16:13
Hi Roachie,

The last HID inserts I looked at actually didn't have a method for dipping to low beam, so they didn't comply with ADRs. They were just a globe replacement with an adapter to fit into a H4 socket, and you then had to mount and connect the ballast to operate the HID bulbs.

HID headlights that are fitted as standard to some high end cars has a like a shutter or blind that physically restricts light output at low beam.

I'm not familiar with the Photon kit though.
AnswerID: 48406

Follow Up By: Roachie - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 16:34

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 16:34
Savvas,
They've just reviewed the Photon jobbies in the latest issue of 4WD Monthly magazine which I got in the mail today. They do have a mechanical feature which slides a type of "shade" up/down the outer filament to facilitate high/low beam. It sounds okay, but I'm not sure what method the "slide" works on (could be small electric motor or a small solenoid etc).
The beauty of these HID's is that they draw so little power (about 35 watts I think) and there is no issue with heat build up either; plus they give off a brighter, whiter light (they should call them "Colgate", eh??)
Anyway, I'll dream on....
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 310241

Hi Roachie,

The last HID inserts I looked at actually didn't have a method for dipping to low beam, so they didn't comply with ADRs. They were just a globe replacement with an adapter to fit into a H4 socket, and you then had to mount and connect the ballast to operate the HID bulbs.

HID headlights that are fitted as standard to some high end cars has a like a shutter or blind that physically restricts light output at low beam.

AnswerID: 48407

Hi Roachie,

AnswerID: 48408

Reply By: Boobook - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 17:00

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 17:00
Roachie,

I have an NM Pajero and installed replacement HID headlights. Like the Nissan it has H4 bulbs. I looked at higher wattage bulbs but was put off them as the Pajero ( and I think the Nissans) have polycarbonate lenses and they can melt and discolour. ( look at the warning on the box on Navara bulbs). I even tried the phillips +50% bulbs but thought they were only a marginal improvement from the standard bulbs.

After deliberating about the price I bit the bullet. I am so glad I did. There is simply no comparison. I would estimate that the HID's are about 3 times as bright! They are simply outstanding. They give off a broad, clean light that floods the road.
Low beam is great around town and in traffic at night and high beam blows you away. Every time I turn on the headlights I think they are great and totally worth it. No eyestrain ever again and when you dip from high beam / driving lights you can still clearly see the road. The sides of the road are well illuminated in low as well as high beam. In high beam the road is lit up about twice as far as the standard lights and compliment the spot IPF 900's I have. You could use both Lightforces as spots and let the headlights fill the road around them.

They are Hi beam and low beam. There is an actuator that moves the light about 6 mm to place it in the positions where the low beam and high beam filaments are in a standard bulb.

Electrically they were easy to fit and use the standard loom. Mechanically the back of the assembly is larger than a bulb and the spring that Mistubishi uses would not fit. I made up a small flange out of thin steel to hold it in place. It worked well and took about an hour.

The ones I got are sold here by http://www.xenonoz.com but I got them in HK as they were about $840 for the pair. They are Hella globes and I believe the original ones for BMW and Audi.

Watch out for 1)Korean ones ( supposedly not reliabe) , 2)Ones that do Hi / Lo with a reflector ( not a clean cut off on low beam).

If you can stomach the money you will never regret your decision.

Boobook
Boobook
AnswerID: 48417

Follow Up By: Boobook - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 17:03

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 17:03
Correction the globes ( and Ballast) are Phillips.Boobook
FollowupID: 310248

Reply By: David O - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 00:48

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 00:48
I note that the Lightforce 340 Blitz have option of a red lens filter. This seems to me to be the answer to the wherethfugarwe problem. Red light doesn't affect night vision so you should still be able to see once you dip the lights. May be worth a try.
AnswerID: 48485

Follow Up By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 09:02

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 09:02
Good theory

but isn't it illegal to display red lights at the front of a vehicle!?
FollowupID: 310331

Follow Up By: macca - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 10:13

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 10:13
Yes!!
FollowupID: 310335

Sponsored Links