Comment: Nanga Mill

June 2014 - entrance to Nanga Mill is only available through the main entrance / rangers station at present.
The gate near the Nanga is currently closed while redevopment work is being carried out. It looks like an area specifically for caravans is being created.... wide, flat areas have been graded. Hard to see properly as it was all fenced off. The tent area near the bridge is still open for business - just need to come in via the main entrance.Check out the new Baden Powell as you come past.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 19:05

Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 19:05
Hi LG.

Nanga is being upgraded with sealed access and the # of caravan sites will go from 8 to 29. As well the 10Ha campground has 10 new sites and now 6 toilets. Communal areas have a new fire pit and picnic tables.

The Baden Powell campsite upgrade is also complete and can now take about 180 campers on single sites as well as a range of other types - campers and camper trlrs.

Info sourced from the current issue of DPaw's Landscipe mag.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 534761

Follow Up By: kevmac....(WA) - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 10:28

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 10:28
Unfortunately, any improvements to Nanga Mill Site would be a blessing. Good to see they take notice occassionally . Now to fix up the back road as well.............( or as is current access via Ranger Station)
FollowupID: 818530

Follow Up By: Member - LG__ (WA) - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 13:40

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 13:40
John, Thanks for the details regarding the development work at Nanga Mill.

There was a board with a diagram near the fence but as it was bucketing cats and dogs we opted not to get out of the car for a proper look.

It showed 3 'rows' in dark grey (which may be sealed later on perhaps?) sort of like a caravan park layout. Or it may have been showing 3 new tracks going through the whole area. Will be interesting to see it all completed :)

I didn't notice any new toilets in the part we normally stay at. Perhaps that bit hasn't happened yet, or maybe it was further up the road... or maybe I'm just too unobservant hehehe
I hope they don't develop it too much, I quite like it the way it is, though I do think more toilets can't be a bad thing.

The road wasn't too bad considering the weather it has had to deal with the last month or so. No doubt they will run a grader through before the Spring school holidays, or leave it rough as guts to make people slow down. We had one idiot trying to do 80k/h past us despite heavy rain and greasy muddy track - even though it is signposted as 40k/h.

We did a lap of the new Baden Powell campground.
There are 42 campsites over 2 loops. The first loop has 25 sites (2 for campers), the other has sites 26-42 with 3 sites for campers. There were some posted as suitable for multiple tents. There are also some with disable access to toilets and camp kitchen.

Most of the tents sites are set back away from the track a bit... park your car then walk (I guess) about 3 or 4 metres into the bush to the campsite itself. Great for those who like a bit of privacy.

We only found 2 sites which we consider would be big enough to take our rearfold camper and awning, and that would require parking the vehicle next to the camp area (outside the bollards).

They seemed to have catered more for the poptop campers and sidefold camper trailers.

Still plenty of room for us at the old Baden Powell though, and we are too 'spur of the moment' to be pre-booking anyway, so it's all good :)

Internet was playing up in our area so I wasn't able to post any photos - will try again today. The new Baden Powell loop map should help people choose a site prior to booking
FollowupID: 818550

Sponsored Links