B.M.R. Roads

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 15:44
ThreadID: 108445 Views:2340 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Went to Maralinga last year and heading there again in September. Last year Robin gave us some info and a mud map of things to see on our way out. This year I am going to talk to him about the B.M.R. roads. I have been trying to find out a little about them but our good mate Mr Google has not been much help. Does someone know what B.M.R. stands for? This might help me search for what I am looking for.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Raider28 - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 16:40

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 16:40
Burrup Main Roads -
AnswerID: 534792

Follow Up By: Raider28 - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 16:46

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 16:46
I just realised Burrup is no where near Maralinga - oops :)
FollowupID: 818553

Reply By: Member -Ted (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 16:42

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 16:42
Hi Chris

BMR stands for Bureau of Mineral Resources check this link for more info.
http://www.ga.gov.au/corporate_data/11291/Rec1964_034.pdf

Hope this helps

Cheers
AnswerID: 534793

Reply By: Bazooka - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 16:57

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 16:57
BMR did a lot of geophysical surveying and drilling in the boondocks, and put in a lot of seismic lines which are pretty well straight, point to point. Not sure if that's what the reference is - they weren't in the business of road making as far as I'm aware.
AnswerID: 534795

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 18:04

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 18:04
Hi Idler Chris

Shame, Shame, Shame..........

Looks like you did not read my blogs from last year........lol

BMR Track

Maralinga Mystery Tour 2013

They are fantastic tracks and you get to see the very heart of the Great Victoria Desert and unlike the Anne Beadell Highway, it is like driving on bitumen. Keep an eye out for my next desert trip Blog after our next trip that is coming up rather quickly.

If you need to know any more, just let me know.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 534806

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 19:28

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 19:28
NO NO NO. I have read both yours and Michelle's blogs. When I have seen the B.M.R. signs in the past I have always meant to find out more when I got home but never have. You blogs reminded me. Nowhere in your blogs, that I can see, is it mentioned what the initials mean, hence my post. I do not know why you are not allowed on these tracks or who you have to ask, it sounds like it might be Robin.
We arrived at Maralinga on 22nd Aug last year and I am sure Robin told us that you had been there recently but the dates on your pictures are 31st Aug and later. Am I imagining things (not unknown) or have you changed the dates.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818569

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 19:56

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 19:56
Hi Chris

You must have just missed us last year. I use Picasa to resize my photos for the Blogs and unfortunately, the photo taken day some how reverts to the day that that the images are down sized.

There have been dozens of new tracks all through that country, with only a few tracks to be kept open for access to that remote country and the BMR tracks are some of the tracks that are to be kept open.

Deal direct with Robin only for permission to access that country and you will find the area unreal.

Like I said in my blog, the track was not put in place until 2011, which explained why we did not see any new tracks in 2010, but saw the finished new tracks in 2012.

The Canadian company went broke in the process, but left a legacy of more great tracks to travel on and see country that had only ever been seen by true bush Aboriginals that travelled through that area on foot.

Enjoy the area, and contact me in late August for an update.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818572

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 20:13

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 20:13
Hooray I not going mad. Thanks Stephen. I leave Melbourne 1st July heading for an east west crossing of the Simpson (Rig road) and back the other way on the Madigan Line. I will contact you towards the end of Aug, not sure where I will be, maybe Inniminka or somewhere along the Birdsville Track. I have to be in Coober Pedy on 1st Sept to pickup 4 other vehicles to lead across the ABH via Maralinga, Ooldea, Cook, Kalgoolie, Holland Track to Albany.
I have not rung Ivan & Gwen Sims yet but will in the next few days and I will let you know how I got on.
Thanks again.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818573

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 20:32

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 20:32
Hi Chris again

Sounds like you will have an unreal trip, all the very best.

Ivan dropped in again to see me the other day, but armed with dozens of photos of their work when they were constructing the Nippon Highway, and the camps that they set up for the Japanese who going to call the desert their home while exploring out there.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818576

Sponsored Links